Is Steve Smith a hall of famer?

YoloinOhio

Maybe, but not anytime soon. There are a ton of WRs in the queue who are more deserving; Moss, TO, Harrison, Wayne, Holt, Bruce, etc.

His career stats look good but he has benefited from the rules changes favoring passing. And I think the HOF needs to be careful about just looking at career stats -- between rules changes and improvement in medical care it's a lot easier to play longer these days. OJ is going to fall out of the top 20 all-time rushers this season -- unthinkable a generation ago.

He's still been among the best of other receivers who have also "benefitted" from those changes.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's still been among the best of other receivers who have also "benefitted" from those changes.

Sure he is, but the point is he'll be passed by a number of very good WRs in the years to come as the pinball stats continue to pile up, so don't put too much stock in his career rankings. To me, he's just not quite at the level of the group of guys I listed above who are all waiting.

I think given his surrounding casts and his height limitations, he has played exceedingly well. He's consistently been one of the toughest receivers pound for pound in the game.

He'd get my vote.

do small guys get a boost? (humor not intended, but appreciated)

i think thats an interesting side debate -- does doing more with less prove favorable to a guy that was given every gift and just did very well with them?

No super bowl wins. Not a on a consistent contender.

This should never ever be a determining factor for a wr. There is so much else to the game before a wr gets the ball. Calvin Johnson also falls into this category and I don't think anyone believes even if he hung it up tomorrow that he wouldn't be in the hall.

If that dud Tim Brown got in, Smith should be a lock

I heard a pretty amazing stat on him last night. 9 straight years of 75+ catches. I don't care who you are that is impressive. Who was the best qb he played with Gannon?

This should never ever be a determining factor for a wr. There is so much else to the game before a wr gets the ball. Calvin Johnson also falls into this category and I don't think anyone believes even if he hung it up tomorrow that he wouldn't be in the hall.

I heard a pretty amazing stat on him last night. 9 straight years of 75+ catches. I don't care who you are that is impressive. Who was the best qb he played with Gannon?

Gannon was pretty darn good and the perfect QB for Browne to pad his stats with the dinky dunky stuff

Gannon was pretty darn good and the perfect QB for Browne to pad his stats with the dinky dunky stuff

Bleh 3 good years out of 17 doesn't make him darn good. They also played together for 5 years at the tail end of Brown's career.

Also I misspoke it was 10 straight years of 75+ catches. That is fantastic. A dud doesn't have the 6 most catches of all time, the 17 most tds of all time, the 5th most receiving tds of all time, or the 5th most catches of all time.

Bleh 3 good years out of 17 doesn't make him darn good. They also played together for 5 years at the tail end of Brown's career.

Also I misspoke it was 10 straight years of 75+ catches. That is fantastic. A dud doesn't have the 6 most catches of all time, the 17 most tds of all time, the 5th most receiving tds of all time, or the 5th most catches of all time.

Really don't care about a west coast offense stats padder. He wasnt an explosive WR defenses had to game plan around. More like "we'll double or even triple rice and let broen get his catches because we know he doesnt have the speed to best us deep"

Living in Carolina for his years hear seen him a lot. He was definitely the number one receiver and treated like it by defenses the majority of his time here. I think his off field behavior and way he was viewed by his teammates early in his career may affect him negatively however. Especially from the hall of fame voters that get in from his playing days. His on field play probably makes him deserve it, but wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get in.

He announced today that he will retire at the end of the season, his 15th.

Since his rookie season in 2001, he has the 3rd-most receiving yards in the league (13,262). He has had 8 seasons of over 1000 yds.

Signed through 2016... Leaving 3 mill on the table to walk away early.

That's difficult to say. I don't really remember him much as a game changer like Tim Brown, Jerry Rice, or Chris Carter/Randy Moss was. He played a long time and piled up a lot of yards, but I struggle to think of him as a HOF'r. Same way I look at Emmit Smith. Does he have more yards than Walter Payton? Yeah, but I wouldn't consider Emmit Smith the greatest back, not by a long shot. I struggle to even think of him in the top 10 of all time.

No. Never had a good QB until Cam and was lucky to have played under Chud the first two years with Cam.

No super bowl wins. Not a on a consistent contender.

Also, just a dick who didn't play well with others. Attacked two teammates with sucker punches. First guy had a broken eye socket in film room. Never helped any of the young receivers that were brought in grow.

If it took Reed, Loftin and Brown that long; and in light of the fact that his ranking is going to plummet in upcoming years do to passing becoming the default offensive play... He might make it in 30 years as an old timer.

Interesting take, but, I agree he will get lost in translation.

Maybe, but not anytime soon. There are a ton of WRs in the queue who are more deserving; Moss, TO, Harrison, Wayne, Holt, Bruce, etc.

His career stats look good but he has benefited from the rules changes favoring passing. And I think the HOF needs to be careful about just looking at career stats -- between rules changes and improvement in medical care it's a lot easier to play longer these days. OJ is going to fall out of the top 20 all-time rushers this season -- unthinkable a generation ago.

I don't think Bruce or Holt make it in.

If Smith retires in the top 10 all-time for yardage as a WR, in this era of throwing the ball, you have to think he eventually makes it into the HOF.

as mentioned up thread though, if on the edge of the top 10 all time, hes likely behind SEVERAL peers, and will be dropping quickly too. itll be an interesting spot.