Matt Cassel to start Panthers Preseason game 1

someone posted that TT started running after his first look for an open receiver. Which means to me he's not going through a full progression.

not good if you ask me

I was frustrated when I read that too, not having seen the plays themselves, but Tyrod mentioned in his interview afterwards that he only ran on plays that were designed option runs.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I have a crazy theory:

Rex and Roman, after saying that the QB competition would be open, gave the first live hitting time under center to EJ. The first preseason game to Cassel. Shockingly he might give the second to Tyrod. Shocking!

FWIW of the staff is favoring Cassel, they must be seeing something we arent. It's nice that he's going through progressions, but of he's inaccurate on short to intermediate routes and can't throw anything deep I don't see how that helps you.

Not doing full progressions is a weakness, but you can counter it with bunch formations and half field reads like Roman did for Kaep and Marrone did (briefly) for EJ before scorching the wholeague idea.

Rex and Roman, after saying that the QB competition would be open, gave the first live hitting time under center to EJ. The first preseason game to Cassel. Shockingly he might give the second to Tyrod. Shocking!

FWIW of the staff is favoring Cassel, they must be seeing something we arent. It's nice that he's going through progressions, but of he's inaccurate on short to intermediate routes and can't throw anything deep I don't see how that helps you.

Not doing full progressions is a weakness, but you can counter it with bunch formations and half field reads like Roman did for Kaep and Marrone did (briefly) for EJ before scorching the wholeague idea.

Cassel either wins the starting job or gets cut.

he won't be a backup with his cap hit of $4.7 mil , but only $0.5 ($500,000) of dead money.

they need to figure him out first.

UFA's in 2016:

Dareus, Glenn, Incognito, Harvin, Bradham, Charles, Bryant to name few

that $4 mil savings could be used elsewhere.

from what I have heard, he is the most accurate of the 3 on the short to intermediate throws, and is the most noticeably going through progressions of the 3. It's the deep ball he has struggled with.

from what I have heard, he is the most accurate of the 3 on the short to intermediate throws, and is the most noticeably going through progressions of the 3. It's the deep ball he has struggled with.

I just wonder how much time the QB's will have against the D-Lines of the AFC BEast. They didn't hold up well against ours in that scrimmage.

Smart to start Cassel in the preseason opener. The competition between EJ and Tyrod seems pretty tight, and starting one over the other would be a big statement to their teammates as to who has the upper hand. Cassel is competing really against Cassel. If Meh plays Meh he'll carry a clipboard. If Meh plays better than meh he will be the #1.

The pecking order in the battle between EJ and Tyrod will become apparent in the playing order of the 2nd game. I would expect a cut to be made prior to the 3rd game, which is when the starter gets the bulk of the snaps and the backup finishes.

Really? I had gotten the impression that he was badly regressing at that in the last few practices.

Gotta get the papers, get the papers.

I don't see them cutting anybody. Whomever the starter is on opening day will be on a very short leash so you may see all three of them starting games at some point this season. In fact, I'm confident that they're going to have a special package for Taylor even if he isn't the starter to take advantage of his running ability. It's going to be QB by committee.

I agree that I don't expect any of the 3 to be cut.

I don't agree with the "short leash". I expect whomever wins the starting job to keep the job all season (barring injury). I don't want to see a QB carousel. I don't want a guy to be afraid to play the game and make mistakes for fear he will be benched. I don't care which guy is the starter, but I do want the Bills to stick with whoever they pick. Rex showed that kind of patience with Geno in NY, I expect the same here.

I was frustrated when I read that too, not having seen the plays themselves, but Tyrod mentioned in his interview afterwards that he only ran on plays that were designed option runs.

The Oline was getting abused by most accounts. TT made 35 yds out of nothing by running. He's still throw first but when things break down he can still move the chains. I get it that EJ is mobile, too - great - TT is on another level of elusiveness compared to EJ.

It's almost as if some folks would rather him take a sack.

I agree that I don't expect any of the 3 to be cut.

I don't agree with the "short leash". I expect whomever wins the starting job to keep the job all season (barring injury). I don't want to see a QB carousel. I don't want a guy to be afraid to play the game and make mistakes for fear he will be benched. I don't care which guy is the starter, but I do want the Bills to stick with whoever they pick. Rex showed that kind of patience with Geno in NY, I expect the same here.

I don't think anybody does, however I simply can't see either T.T. or E.J. starting an entire season. I just can't envision it.

They need to select the guy that can operate in the red zone the best.

I don't think any of these guys is going to sustain long drives, or throw the ball downfield very well. This team has moved the ball reasonably well, but has had to settle for field goals way too much. With this defense, they are going to get lots of short field opportunities.

I have no idea which guy has shown better red zone skills, but that should be the determining factor.

I don't think anybody does, however I simply can't see either T.T. or E.J. starting an entire season. I just can't envision it.

we should talk this out. why not? why not let the young ones take their lumps?

I think honestly they should start EJ bring in TT on packages that are not necessarily packages. Let TT sit in the pocket and let EJ break out with Read Options.

If Cassseelll starts we have no True hope. just waiting to fight another day.

Lets get crazy Bills. lets get weird. lets do the unexpected.

Lets freak the other teams out because of " who saw that coming " plays

I don't think any of these guys is going to sustain long drives, or throw the ball downfield very well. This team has moved the ball reasonably well, but has had to settle for field goals way too much. With this defense, they are going to get lots of short field opportunities.

I have no idea which guy has shown better red zone skills, but that should be the determining factor.

Reasonable point one of our glaring weaknesses season past! and Bill are going to get some good field position for sure.

Nice point to consider with this D and ST aces

According to the coaches, and some players, Cassell has consistently known where to go with the ball, and goes through his progressions better than the other two. That is not nothing, in fact, it's rather important.

Can I get the links to those?

Smart to start Cassel in the preseason opener. The competition between EJ and Tyrod seems pretty tight, and starting one over the other would be a big statement to their teammates as to who has the upper hand. Cassel is competing really against Cassel. If Meh plays Meh he'll carry a clipboard. If Meh plays better than meh he will be the #1.

Agreed

Agreed as well. We were 12th in Red Zone Attempts and 30th in TD%. If we could be average in TD % we would have 5 more TDs which is 20 more points.