Heading to Boston this weekend, ideas?

Wooderson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good advice. My first apartment was on Quensberry, a block from Fenway. The place was terrible, but the neighborhood during baseball season made up for it.

A better bet is to go to Boston Beer Works right across the street. Dozens of home brewed micro brews right next door to Fenway. Same atmosphere, better food, better drinks, much better time.

Not sure if Russ' Pastry Shop is sill open on Grant Street in Buffalo but his cannoli are far superior to Mike's. Place is way over-rated imo.

Also, would hang out around Copley Square. Grab a slice of Boston Crème pie from the Fairmont Hotel where it was first made and have a seat in the park.

Walk thru Boston Commons. Take a ride on one of the swan boats- touristy but it's something you gotta do.

Also consider a Duck Tour. WWII era amphibious vehicles that take you on land and water to tour the city.

Dinner in the north end- near Mike's pastry shop. Great italian food. Paul Revere's home is nearby

Edited by DDD

Are you a basketball guy at all? Since you're staying in Springfield it may be worth checking out. I don't know a thing about the place or if it is worthwhile at all, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Staying in Springfield? Yikes. Might want to bring a bullet proof vest.

La Famiglia is only famous for portion sizes. The food itself is mediocre. Almost any other restaurant in the North End is better. Frankly I would eat at the original Pizzaria Regina. (Cor. Thatcher & N. Margin sts)

Mike's Pastry is good but it's a zoo most of the time. If you want the same pastries without the hassle, go around the corner from Mike's to Bova Bakery. (cor. Salem & Prince Sts) It's not a restaurant but you can get pastries, and pizza, strombolis and arancinis to go.

I also recommend getting Dim Sum at China Pearl on Essex St. in Chinatown. Very authentic and by that I mean the food is great and the place is not your typical spotless western Chinese restaurant. Don't be turned off by the long lines to get in. The line moves fast. Dim Sum you sit down and the food carts arrive immediately so a meal is like 30 minutes. Just go up the stairs and get a number and wait in the hallway. You'll be seated inside 15 minutes. Don't be afraid to ask what's that, but also don't expect an answer in English.

One last suggestion, Boston's best German restaurant also happens to be in Chinatown. Jacob Wirth on Stuart St. between Tremont and Washington.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

BTW - I'm pretty sure the Boston Bills Bar is still The Harp.

http://www.harpboston.com/

Yeah, I did see that after I posted the original message. Somebody on Facebook wrote that so I assumed they knew what they were talking about lol.

So.... Is torching Gillette still a possibility???

Shhh, no comment. Can't have it coming back to me.

Boston is the most overrated party town in the country. Just putting that out there.

It's just my fiance and I, we're not really looking to "party" as in clubs and late night bars. We're more the type to drink throughout the day, have a nice dinner, and a few drinks after.

Thanks to all that have made suggestions. Really looking forward to getting out of Buffalo for a weekend. You guys are alllright, no matter what DC Tom says.

La Famiglia is only famous for portion sizes. The food itself is mediocre. Almost any other restaurant in the North End is better. Frankly I would eat at the original Pizzaria Regina. (Cor. Thatcher & N. Margin sts)

Mike's Pastry is good but it's a zoo most of the time. If you want the same pastries without the hassle, go around the corner from Mike's to Bova Bakery. (cor. Salem & Prince Sts) It's not a restaurant but you can get pastries, and pizza, strombolis and arancinis to go.

I also recommend getting Dim Sum at China Pearl on Essex St. in Chinatown. Very authentic and by that I mean the food is great and the place is not your typical spotless western Chinese restaurant. Don't be turned off by the long lines to get in. The line moves fast. Dim Sum you sit down and the food carts arrive immediately so a meal is like 30 minutes. Just go up the stairs and get a number and wait in the hallway. You'll be seated inside 15 minutes. Don't be afraid to ask what's that, but also don't expect an answer in English.

One last suggestion, Boston's best German restaurant also happens to be in Chinatown. Jacob Wirth on Stuart St. between Tremont and Washington.

I'm all about German. Thanks Promo.

BTW - I'm pretty sure the Boston Bills Bar is still The Harp.

http://www.harpboston.com/

Both bars have groups. The Harp is the longer running one. A younger group splintered off a few years back and went to the Bleacher Bar. I'm assuming they liked it because it was closer to a lot of the colleges in the area.

Yeah, I did see that after I posted the original message. Somebody on Facebook wrote that so I assumed they knew what they were talking about lol.

Shhh, no comment. Can't have it coming back to me.

It's just my fiance and I, we're not really looking to "party" as in clubs and late night bars. We're more the type to drink throughout the day, have a nice dinner, and a few drinks after.

Thanks to all that have made suggestions. Really looking forward to getting out of Buffalo for a weekend. You guys are alllright, no matter what DC Tom says.

I'm all about German. Thanks Promo.

If you're staying overnight in Springfield, and love German food, I highly recommend http://www.studentprince.com

Yeah, I didn't think you were. That's why I said just throwing it out there...........I'm no longer interested in that either, but when I was, Boston fell disappointingly short.