Blue & White Scrimmage 8/8 6pm

If we only knew the QBs as A,B, and C. A, being Manuel, B is Taylor and C is Cassel. We have no knowledge of their past, based on their camp performance, would C be the front runner? Are we missing something that the coaches are seeing? Both A and B seem to have better skill set for Roman's offense. A and B have the possibility of greater upside, but also greater downside. C is better at going through progressions. Is that enough to anoint C? Or is it just the safe thing to do?

Nothing about C's performance in recent seasons says safe to me.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this true? If I remember correctly, which I might not, wasn't there something a few years back around teams that were charging for practice having to let other teams' scouts attend. Thought that this was in response to the general policy that teams could not attend each other's free, open practices.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, or something has changed since then?

I don't think that would slow down or phase the patriots.

I did and it didn't sound like anything you are saying.

Fascinating is about the nicest thing I can say. What did you read? Which of Cassel's 2 completions has you excited? Taylor's "big play" was a 5-yard dump off that O'Leary took through traffic for ~30. Which of his plays am I missing? Manuel led 2 of the only three scoring drives on the night, and had all three of the top passing plays other than O'Leary's.

Let's be clear here - NONE of the QB's looked great - the Bills's defense was the star of the show last night, as it has been throughout camp. I'm only saying (along with nearly everyone else, including OBD - the only ones who get a vote - that EJ had the best night of the 3)

Nothing about C's performance in recent seasons says safe to me.

Yeah - if he had been avoiding INT's in practice I'd be more on board with him as the "caretaker" for the run-first, elite defense team, they are obviously planning to be.

He has been going through his progressions better, by most accounts, but he's had more than his share of bad throws too.

Edited by BobChalmers

We don't know about recent seasons all we know is what has happened in camp.

It's a shame someone hasn't invented something to find out more about his recent seasons https://www.google.com/search?q=matt+cassel+training+camp+2014&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=760&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A7%2F6%2F2014%2Ccd_max%3A8%2F22%2F2014&tbm=

Edited by The Wiz

I proposed a hypothetical supposition, that base on no previous knowledge of the players, just camp, who is winning the QB job so far?

My reasoning is that Manuel's detractors point to his history of not seeing the whole field and being inaccurate. Taylor has never started. And Cassel hasn't had a good year in five years.

If you throw all that out who is wining?

I proposed a hypothetical supposition, that base on no previous knowledge of the players, just camp, who is winning the QB job so far?

My reasoning is that Manuel's detractors point to his history of not seeing the whole field and being inaccurate. Taylor has never started. And Cassel hasn't had a good year in five years.

If you throw all that out who is wining?

It's tough to say in that case. Operating in a vacuum of what has happened in the past week makes it both good and bad for all of them. That being said, since Cassel has been on multiple teams and has gone through learning different offenses for a longer time than the others, I would expect him to be in the lead and favored but it doesn't appear that way.

Edited by The Wiz

Well, all I'll say is this: at the very least, on the wake of the scrimmage which was supposed to be important in picking a starter, can we admit that Cassel has sucked.

Seriously sucked.

I don't know if EJ or Tyrod are great but they sound leaps and bounds better than Cassel.

Agree. IMO, Rex is starting Cassel in the first preseason game to give him a chance to either win the job outright against the opponent's first team or prepare to backup one of the other two. Cassel is the experienced vet and if he doesn't put in a performance that is significantly better than EJ and Tyrod, why give him the job ahead of two younger guys who have more upside?

Edited by DerekJ

If Cassel ends up being the starter, I think he gets booed as soon as he makes bad plays. I don't think the same would happen for the other two (or maybe that's just me ).

With Cassel at QB, the Bills' running game will be limited IMO because defenses will crowd the LoS with little to no fear of getting beat deep.

It's tough to say in that case. Operating in a vacuum of what has happened in the past week makes it both good and bad for all of them. That being said, since Cassel has been on multiple teams and has gone through learning different offenses for a longer time than the others, I would expect him to be in the lead and favored but it doesn't appear that way.

That's my point, what has Cassel done in camp to put him in the lead? You could make the same argument about Manuel and Taylor. But to make Cassel the starter just because he is the safe choice is not enough. Cassel is the one that has to significantly out perform the other two not vise versa, because by naming him the starter you are saying that Manuel was a waste of a draft pick and Taylor is not an NFL starter and never will be.

based on what? Because Meh was playing against the #1's more than TT and EJ?

Rex explained his reasoning. Meh should be better because he's a 11 yr pro, and from what I have heard he isn't much better.

In the last 2 days in practice and "scrimmage" which of the 3 had the two TD's thrown?

clue it wasn't meh.

Based on exactly what you said in the 1st paragraph. He is the most experienced and of no one has separated themselves he will be the 1st up. He has had the most reps with the 1's, is the 1st to start a PS game. As I said earlier "as of right now." That doesn't mean as of the 1st game but as of August 9th. Do you really believe that if the season started tomorrow anyone other than Cassel would be under center? There is still time and 4 preseason games to change that but as of today I don't think that there is any doubt.

Anyone who supports Cassel being the starter needs to make the trip to SJF to watch practice. What Cassel possesses in terms of veteran experience is diminished (IMO) by his blatantly apparent ineptitude as a passer. His arm is done. Even if it is a close contest between he and EJ/Tyrod, I think Cassel loses out due to his lack of versatility.

I agree with others in that Cassel will be playing for his roster spot on Friday, and I'm excited for others here to actually see him live.

Based on exactly what you said in the 1st paragraph. He is the most experienced and of no one has separated themselves he will be the 1st up. He has had the most reps with the 1's, is the 1st to start a PS game. As I said earlier "as of right now." That doesn't mean as of the 1st game but as of August 9th. Do you really believe that if the season started tomorrow anyone other than Cassel would be under center? There is still time and 4 preseason games to change that but as of today I don't think that there is any doubt.

Interesting that we have the opposite take on this. You think a tie goes to Cassel because he is a veteran. I think all thing being equal his lack of physical talent makes him the odd man out.

Anyone who supports Cassel being the starter needs to make the trip to SJF to watch practice. What Cassel possesses in terms of veteran experience is diminished (IMO) by his blatantly apparent ineptitude as a passer. His arm is done. Even if it is a close contest between he and EJ/Tyrod, I think Cassel loses out due to his lack of versatility.

I agree with others in that Cassel will be playing for his roster spot on Friday, and I'm excited for others here to actually see him live.

Is anyone supporting Cassel as the starter here? I haven't seen it. The coaching staff knows what they have in him. I would be really surprised if they cut the vet that they traded for. He is the "worst case scenario" guy. They don't need his cap space. He will almost certainly not be back at the current rate but there is really no reason to cut him.

Is anyone supporting Cassel as the starter here? I haven't seen it. The coaching staff knows what they have in him. I would be really surprised if they cut the vet that they traded for. He is the "worst case scenario" guy. They don't need his cap space. He will almost certainly not be back at the current rate but there is really no reason to cut him.

Okay, well then who do they cut? EJ or Tyrod? Or do you really think they will keep 3 QB's? I don't think so...

Interesting that we have the opposite take on this. You think a tie goes to Cassel because he is a veteran. I think all thing being equal his lack of physical talent makes him the odd man out.

That is a good way of putting it. My thought is they want the QB that they trust the most to not screw it up. They don't need the QB to win the game they need him not to lose. I am hoping that someone separates themselves and can make more plays than Cassel. At the same time if it is Cassel I have a sense for what the of play the Bills will get from him and think that they will be a playoff team. If one of the other 2 emerge they can be a Super Bowl contender.

Okay, well then who do they cut? EJ or Tyrod? Or do you really think they will keep 3 QB's? I don't think so...

I think they keep all 3. If they are still debating which of the 3 is the best why would they would release any of them? This battle doesn't need to be settled day 1. They need to find the right guy regardless of when it is. They aren't going to cut any of them as they could potentially be the best QB option to save a roster spot for Ross Cockrell (or whoever). Edited by Kirby Jackson