Common Sense Optimism Re: Cassell

Are you forgetting some of the QBs rex has had? Vick in his prime put up better numbers then Cassell in his career. (You could use the excuse that Vick sucked for rex in NY but your argument us using past seasons for Cassell. ...)

As for the argument about Cassell already being the #1 guy in Rexs eyes, I also disagree. I think he was brought in as the best option to give them a veteran presence at the position, but if there is already a secret #1 guy that rex isn't telling anyone about yet, I think it Taylor. Rex raves about him and he personally wanted them to get him because he has said he tried to get him before. The veteran guy is always going to be the one getting the #1 reps to start because he is a proven commodity and it would luck much worse to hand a job over to a guy with little experience at this time

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Sanchez helped the Jets get to two AFC Championship games.

Yes, they lost, but it's been how long since the Bills even qualified for the playoffs?

Make no mistake...I'm no Sanchez fan, but to suggest Cassell is the best Ryan has ever had is putting your thought process on ludicrous speed.

Mark Sanchez had NOTHING to do with them going to the AFC Championship. They could've gone to those games with Trent Edwards as their QB. Their number 1 ranked defense and their number 1 ranked rushing attack got them there. Not many teams go to the Championship game with a QB that couldn't throw the ball for more than 2500 yds and had a 63 rating.

I'm SOOO SICK of people giving Sanchez credit for the Jets success in those 2 years. With a better QB they could've WON the Super Bowl.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

hey i like the op's point here.

I hope he is right. i would also add that cassel has earned a trip to the pro bowl before, and he can scramble (we know tyrod and ej can too, but cassel can move for a white boy)

It sucks that we cant be one of the dozen or so teams who knows unequivocally who they're starting at qb, and are working with the same OC in an offense they've run for years.

Huge advantage, and one we havent enjoyed in a long time.

Are you forgetting some of the QBs rex has had? Vick in his prime put up better numbers then Cassell in his career. (You could use the excuse that Vick sucked for rex in NY but your argument us using past seasons for Cassell. ...)

As for the argument about Cassell already being the #1 guy in Rexs eyes, I also disagree. I think he was brought in as the best option to give them a veteran presence at the position, but if there is already a secret #1 guy that rex isn't telling anyone about yet, I think it Taylor. Rex raves about him and he personally wanted them to get him because he has said he tried to get him before. The veteran guy is always going to be the one getting the #1 reps to start because he is a proven commodity and it would luck much worse to hand a job over to a guy with little experience at this time

This is NO secret that Rex likes Taylor and hasn't been a secret for awhile.

hey i like the op's point here.

I hope he is right. i would also add that cassel has earned a trip to the pro bowl before, and he can scramble (we know tyrod and ej can too, but cassel can move for a white boy)

It sucks that we cant be one of the dozen or so teams who knows unequivocally who they're starting at qb, and are working with the same OC in an offense they've run for years.

Huge advantage, and one we havent enjoyed in a long time.

Mobile and scrambling are 2 completely different things.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

Says who? We traded for him as a viable starting QB.

Just says, me, my opinion.

It is "my" thought that they want one of these young guys to come through, but they needed someone that could at least stabilize the offence if they don't.

It's tough to hold the front office accountable when they really didn't have any even average options. This has been rehashed a thousand times but their options were Matt Moore (who I preferred over, but feel is equivalent to, Cassel), a bunch of retreads (Hoyer/Hill/Ponder/Schaub/Flynn), and Taylor's potential. They didn't pass over a sure-thing in the draft, no sure-thing was on the trading block, and even if they put a package together to grab Winston we'd be reading 500 doom & gloom threads right this very second seeing as how he just spent the better part of the day throwing balls at his receiver's feet.

Just because we didn't see any options better does not mean they could not have done something.

I am not saying this is better but;

- Petty, Grayson, .... they didn't draft anyone.(in 2 years)

- Foles, Bradford, whoever else..... no trades

Hey they decided to go with who they have, and BILLeve me, I hope it works out, especially EJ or Taylor.

Just says, me, my opinion.

It is "my" thought that they want one of these young guys to come through, but they needed someone that could at least stabilize the offence if they don't.

Just because we didn't see any options better does not mean they could not have done something.

I am not saying this is better but;

- Petty, Grayson, .... they didn't draft anyone.(in 2 years)

- Foles, Bradford, whoever else..... no trades

Hey they decided to go with who they have, and BILLeve me, I hope it works out, especially EJ or Taylor.

this has been said many times, but neither StL or Phil was willing to trade their QB unless they were getting a starting caliber QB in return. Buffalo didn't have that. A trade for one of these QBs, or any starting caliber QB, was not an option for that reason.

They could have drafted a QB, but I think we are looking at this year's QB situation, correct? Those available were universally considered projects and not guys who could realistically start on an NFL team in 2015. They could have taken a flyer on one just in case one emerges as a starter this year, but that's what the year-round scouting process is for. They don't need to "take flyers" , they draft with knowledge.instead of drafting a project, they signed Taylor who has 4 years learning within a successful offense and successful QB - as their "flyer".

Edited by YoloinOhio

this has been said many times, but neither StL or Phil was willing to trade their QB unless they were getting a starting caliber QB in return. Buffalo didn't have that. A trade for one of these QBs, or any starting caliber QB, was not an option for that reason.

They could have drafted a QB, but I think we are looking at this year's QB situation, correct? Those available were universally considered projects and not guys who could realistically start on an NFL team in 2015. They could have taken a flyer on one just in case one emerges as a starter this year, but that's what the year-round scouting process is for. They don't need to "take flyers" , they draft with knowledge.instead of drafting a project, they signed Taylor who has 4 years learning within a successful offense and successful QB - as their "flyer".

I a not dis-agreeing totally with you as much as I am saying that they need to be held accountable for their choices, if it doesn't work.

Sure, we did not have a QB to trade but, would someone trade a qb for Darius? I am not saying I would, just saying they COULD.

I mean, would Pitt have taken Darius and Kyle Williams for Rothlisberger?

Depends on the value you put on QB, some here say you can't win without a good QB.

They chose to build the best team around what they have.

That was the road they chose, and I can't say I dis-agree, just have to be accountable, most of are at our jobs.

I am the king of optimism. But I also love facts. There is this myth that Cassel is the "safe" choice because he is the veteran. Since his good season in KC, he has thrown 34 ints and fumbled 19 times in 30 games! http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm But at least he makes up for with his accurate passing? Oh wait, last year he completed passes at a worse % and lower ypa than Manuel.

I have nothing against Cassel. Love him as a backup. But the myth he is the safe choice is flat out wrong. The competition should be won on the field, not on the past. And if you really look at Cassel's past, he has been on a decline for 5 years.

and I can see EJ pushing carts @Walmart by Columbus Day.. or picking up Losman's broom.

And I can see both EJ and Losman having jobs than pay them more than you currently earn.

I a not dis-agreeing totally with you as much as I am saying that they need to be held accountable for their choices, if it doesn't work.

Sure, we did not have a QB to trade but, would someone trade a qb for Darius? I am not saying I would, just saying they COULD.

I mean, would Pitt have taken Darius and Kyle Williams for Rothlisberger?

Depends on the value you put on QB, some here say you can't win without a good QB.

They chose to build the best team around what they have.

That was the road they chose, and I can't say I dis-agree, just have to be accountable, most of are at our jobs.

i think everyone holds the Bills accountable for not having a QB in place.

No, Pittsburgh would definitively not trade Big Ben for 2 DL.

FACT: Matt Cassel is the best QB Rex Ryan has ever had. That is not saying much, but his statistical performance is far better than that of Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.

FACT: Cassel's best years ('08 & '10) correspond exactly with the years that his team ran the ball the most. The '08 Pats team lacked a true feature back, but still ran the ball 513 times or 32.1 times per game. The '10 Chiefs team ran the ball 556 times or 34.8 times per game.

OPINION: This is probably the deepest group of playmakers Cassel has ever played with.

History says that when Matt Cassel has an OC who understands his strengths and weaknesses and stays committed to the running game, he will be successful. He has that in Greg Roman, and he has an elite RB in McCoy followed by a very deep group of backup RBs.

Everyone needs to calm the freak down with the training camp trade scenarios. Sure, it would be exciting to see Tyrod Taylor pop, or to see EJ finally take a step forward. There is still a month for that to happen. But the truth is we are set up to have success with Matt Cassel.

If you have to THAT selective in your facts, then there's probably not much to be optimistic about.

Honestly I see Cassel being the first QB cut.

Cassel isn't going anywhere. IMO if Rex starts Cassel and Cassel fails it's on Cassel, whereas if Rex starts EJ and EJ fails then Rex takes the heat for starting an unproven and not going with the proven Cassel.

Cassel isn't going anywhere. IMO if Rex starts Cassel and Cassel fails it's on Cassel, whereas if Rex starts EJ and EJ fails then Rex takes the heat for starting an unproven and not going with the proven Cassel.

This makes no sense. There is a 10 year track record, minus 2 years, of Cassel not being good enough.