I don't hate Sully like some others do, but ...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhhhhh, nothing like a little name calling to get your point across that you think he's a subpar RB.

I don't care if he calls Terry Pegula a racist for not hugging him warmly enough......but he's going to draw criticism from the media for doing douchey things.

My point is that it's not like it matters. Long term, he is inconsequential. If he doesn't find another gear he is a 1-2 year rental that says and does dumb things so don't worry about him being questioned about it, worry about what he brings to the field.

He has a lot to prove this year.

I don't care if he calls Terry Pegula a racist for not hugging him warmly enough......but he's going to draw criticism from the media for doing douchey things.

My point is that it's not like it matters. Long term, he is inconsequential. If he doesn't find another gear he is a 1-2 year rental that says and does dumb things so don't worry about him being questioned about it, worry about what he brings to the field.

Guess we have two main differences.

1) I do not believe he has done anything "douchy". Not one thing. I am 52, and if I could pull off having a party with 10 of my closest friends and 50 hot women, all of who cannot say a word about said party....I am all in.

So I guess " waht happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" is okay, but him saying it is not.

If it was the term females that gets everybody riled up, I just don't see the problem.

The Kelly stuff, he was just speaking his mind. God bless for having a non cliche always at the ready.

2) I like the trade, not so high in the contract. I was never as high on Kiko as others, so that did not bother me.

No way he's a 1-2 year rental from a purely financial standpoint. Makes no sense. I think there's some truth to him having something to prove, but who doesn't? I think a lot of people have ran with the storyline that his production is in decline because he doesn't churn out 1700 yd seasons year after year.

Funny, I do hate Sullivan yet I thought it was a good article. After re-reading it, I can see where most of you are coming from but these are two pretty good sized gaffes McCoy has made here already. Not illegal, no, but both of them pretty dumb. Hopefully he learns from them. After hearing him on the John Murphy show a few months back, he sounds like a very bright and very nice kid. You'd think he'd maybe be above that party thing. Either way, I will long since be over anything he's done once he breaks his first nice run on September 13th.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

what exactly was written that was so far off target? that it wasn't the greatest judgment for him to call chip kelly a racist or publicize that "party" he was planning?

none of it is going to get in the way of me rooting for mccoy, but just what was so wrong about that column?

It's not news, it's gossip. And the double standard is pretty obvious. Gronk goes on a public bender for the summer and he's a fun loving big kid. McCoy throws a party at his house and he's an immature premadonna - one step removed from predator or abuser. Edited by dubs

It's not news, it's gossip.

You'd have to elaborate your stance a bit further. So a sports writer in a two sports town shouldn't be allowed to write about the football team's star running back's offseason shenanigans? And also it is news in so far as national news outlets like ESPN picked up both stories.

It's not news, it's gossip. And the double standard is pretty obvious. Gronk goes on a public bender for the summer and he's a fun loving big kid. McCoy throws a party at his house and he's an immature premadonna - one step removed from predator or abuser.

You did elaborate your stance and that's actually an excellent take. Although I can assure you that if Gronk played for the Bills that Sullivan would be critical of him too and I think he too deserves some criticism for his antics- which I'm sure he gets from some people. Edited by metzelaars_lives

I am not defending McCoy, but it was a very predictable article by Sully.

He basically is mailing it in - as he did with his articles about Mario's fridge, the Pegulas, and wanting to cut Marcel. It is a shame because he does have the ability to be good.

I thought it was funny how Harrington took to Twitter to defend him. It is funny how Sully, Bucky, and Harrington love to dish it out, but seem to have the thinnest skin.

Just my two cents.

The article is titled "McCoy not getting it right now", which itself comes with the implication that, as a man, Jerry Sullivan has a high ethical standard with which McCoy, (whom he reminds the reader in the second sentence of his article is "a man they call Shady"), needs to abide by.

Even though McCoy may outwardly act as a good person, (throwing a football into the stands for the fans, hugging the owner, and conducting a cheery press conference), and even though he admitted that he acted in error to present his party in such a light, and even though McCoy clarified the issue by admitting it was one of his group of friends that made the post... Jerry Sullivan still would choose to judge another man, with the implication being that, he, Jerry Sullivan, is qualified to pass judgement on this case, and McCoy is a "bad person", and Jerry Sullivan has declared this to be so, so McCoy must make amends not with a higher power, but with Jerry Sullivan himself.

The fact that a man is so willing to judge another, despite the object of his judgement apologizing for his actions and taking steps to lead a good life in Buffalo, flies in the face of thousands of years of moral conduct codes that human beings have generally agreed to follow with regards to how we treat one another. The fact that the mere mention of Jerry Sullivan's name brings up pages upon pages of people complaining about his character and the way he treats others, should serve as a notice to Jerry that he is living out of balance. He is too harshly judging young men who play a game for a living, and bring much joy to the people who watch them compete.

Jerry Sullivan needs far more spiritual guidance than any of the athletes he judges.

Great post. Sullivan took facts and twisted them, which is not his, nor any other reporters, job. My favorite is he suggests the confidentiality agreement was to stop the women from reporting it if one got punched in the face. Did anyone else in the world think that? I bet he didn't even think that, he just wanted to use as much hyperbole as he could to drum up attention for his half-baked, judgmental article.

It's not news, it's gossip. And the double standard is pretty obvious. Gronk goes on a public bender for the summer and he's a fun loving big kid. McCoy throws a party at his house and he's an immature premadonna - one step removed from predator or abuser.

When you remove the cover of "going out to the club" and are as explicit as "photo screened females only party with an NDA" advertised online... of course it's going to be seen differently by the general public even if there's not that wide a gap between the end results.

That said, it's a ridiculous article

Edited by NoSaint

The article is titled "McCoy not getting it right now", which itself comes with the implication that, as a man, Jerry Sullivan has a high ethical standard with which McCoy, (whom he reminds the reader in the second sentence of his article is "a man they call Shady"), needs to abide by.

Even though McCoy may outwardly act as a good person, (throwing a football into the stands for the fans, hugging the owner, and conducting a cheery press conference), and even though he admitted that he acted in error to present his party in such a light, and even though McCoy clarified the issue by admitting it was one of his group of friends that made the post... Jerry Sullivan still would choose to judge another man, with the implication being that, he, Jerry Sullivan, is qualified to pass judgement on this case, and McCoy is a "bad person", and Jerry Sullivan has declared this to be so, so McCoy must make amends not with a higher power, but with Jerry Sullivan himself.

The fact that a man is so willing to judge another, despite the object of his judgement apologizing for his actions and taking steps to lead a good life in Buffalo, flies in the face of thousands of years of moral conduct codes that human beings have generally agreed to follow with regards to how we treat one another. The fact that the mere mention of Jerry Sullivan's name brings up pages upon pages of people complaining about his character and the way he treats others, should serve as a notice to Jerry that he is living out of balance. He is too harshly judging young men who play a game for a living, and bring much joy to the people who watch them compete.

Jerry Sullivan needs far more spiritual guidance than any of the athletes he judges.

he sounds like a lot of people who post their opinions on this site.

I know we have many on this board with GEDs in law. Can anyone tell me if a confidentiality agreement/NDA covers criminal behavior? As in, if anything truly illegal happened to any of the women who chose to attend the party, would they have no recourse because of the confidentiality agreement?

use as much hyperbole as he could to drum up attention

It gets tiring talking about Sully, Bucky and Harrington but that's the gist of it.

In a world awash in media coverage (even Astro and TSW are in that mix with their camp coverage), the boys at the Snooze are being marginalized--especially when they do little to cultivate national sources or are frozen out by the teams they cover, as these jamokes seem to be.

Hyperbole and fake outrage are all the levers they have left to pull, as the only constant remaining in the universe is the moralistic, judgemental, knee jerk demographic that never seems to realize that their weenie's are being pulled...

I know we have many on this board with GEDs in law. Can anyone tell me if a confidentiality agreement/NDA covers criminal behavior? As in, if anything truly illegal happened to any of the women who chose to attend the party, would they have no recourse because of the confidentiality agreement?

Right, that's what makes it comical. You can't sign away your rights to the criminal justice system should a crime happen to you. It is similar to how, when you go to a ski resort, you sign something that removes the ski area from liability should you be injured. While you can sign away your right to sue for your injury that occurs in the normal course of skiing (you fall on a slope and bump your head), you can not sign away your right to sue the ski area should their negligence have caused the injury (like, if you hit a snow gun that wasn't put away correctly).

So the confidentiality agreement, to any rational person, is these girls signing away their rights to tell other people what consensual activities they may partake in or see there (e.g., sex acts). So it is still bad that McCoy is asking women to sign this (and he knows it, alluding to how this "...wasn't a weird orgy..."), but to say that its because he or his posse are going to assault women is absurd.

My take on McCoy is that he came into the NFL with something to prove and he was a good runner between the tackles initially but as he became Shady the celebrity.....and got a bunch of mileage on him.....he doesn't have that anymore.

Chip Kellys' offense along with some really good run blockers created a lot of space and big gains for McCoy in the past couple years and when you consider that then his declining numbers are a concern.

Due to the evolution of the game a lot of the guys who once would have been running backs are now playing defense so teams don't have the quality and depth they once had at the RB position so it's understandable that they want a legit proven RB......but he is more hype than game at this point IMO.

I suppose it would be nice to see him come into camp like a man with something to prove coming off a down year and being traded rather than someone taking a victory lap.

That is going to irk detractors who aren't sold on him and Sully is a hater for hate sake sometimes. That's his job to stir emotions.

That isn't the general fanbase take on Shady but neither was it when they acquired Drew Bledsoe or Terrell Owens.

I personally think it was a bad trade and I obviously hope he proves me wrong and is that same tough, hungry player he was 5-6 years ago but I don't expect that based on recent performance.

Come on man, his "declining" numbers are still well above league average ypc, and over 1300 yards was third in the league. This line of thinking is the same as people who said Michael Jackson's post Thriller albums were failures because they didn't sell 65 million worldwide copies, when most artists never get close to selling even the "lowest" number of sales on any of his subsequent albums. You would be the fan who said O.J. was declining because he didn't follow up 2003 with another 2000, but instead had 1200, and 1800 yards.

What is "hungry" supposed to look like? A smile on his face means he's not hungry? Interacting w/fans? Throwing a party? Okay... Seems to me he showed up in shape and ready to work. That denotes dedication to me, but maybe it's just me...

McCoy will be just fine if the line is halfway decent. And no running back will be good without a line opening up some holes for them. No RB is different in that respect.

Edited by purple haze

Right, that's what makes it comical. You can't sign away your rights to the criminal justice system should a crime happen to you. It is similar to how, when you go to a ski resort, you sign something that removes the ski area from liability should you be injured. While you can sign away your right to sue for your injury that occurs in the normal course of skiing (you fall on a slope and bump your head), you can not sign away your right to sue the ski area should their negligence have caused the injury (like, if you hit a snow gun that wasn't put away correctly).

So the confidentiality agreement, to any rational person, is these girls signing away their rights to tell other people what consensual activities they may partake in or see there (e.g., sex acts). So it is still bad that McCoy is asking women to sign this (and he knows it, alluding to how this "...wasn't a weird orgy..."), but to say that its because he or his posse are going to assault women is absurd.

As I suspected, these twits are playing off what an ignorant populace may THINK something looks like instead of what it actually is.

Boo.

he sounds like a lot of people who post their opinions on this site.

Myself included. We've all done worse when angered about something we're so passionate about. To act in such a way will forever be a part of what makes us human. But the capacity to love, honor, respect, and forgive your fellow man is what makes us human too.

To criticize a man who is apologetic, because he (for some reason) does not meet your (as of yet, undisclosed) spiritual and moral code for living, as Sullivan seems to do in this article, is taken as repulsive by 99% of the people who read it.

To take it further, by arbitrarily making suppositions as to what McCoy's intentions behind his actions were (such as the strong implication that the NDA was so women could be raped and beaten by McCoy and his savage friends) opens the door into the pained life that Jerry Sullivan leads away from his articles with the Buffalo News.

If fans are now to the point that they actively protest his articles, and each of his writings comes with pages of people lamenting his character, and the way he chooses to write about the Buffalo Bills, then some action must be taken by the Buffalo News. Additionally, to have people in this very thread say that he drinks on the job and (maybe) struggles with alcohol problems, paints a very dark picture of this man. I would be happy if the Buffalo News invited him to take a leave of absence until he can regain the passion for writing about a game for a living. No, not every article should be written with effusive praise for an organization that has failed to meet certain benchmarks of success over the last 15 years--but the flip side of that code of ethics is that one should not be disparaged publicly based on the assumption that they are living a life of rape and violence.

It gets tiring talking about Sully, Bucky and Harrington but that's the gist of it.

In a world awash in media coverage (even Astro and TSW are in that mix with their camp coverage), the boys at the Snooze are being marginalized--especially when they do little to cultivate national sources or are frozen out by the teams they cover, as these jamokes seem to be.

Hyperbole and fake outrage are all the levers they have left to pull

I agree, Sully has no other arrows in his quiver at this point. Bucky is in the same boat at TBN. They now write fluff pieces, or (mostly) these troll "columns". After so much drivel, he has painted himself into a corner, and the only way he gets talked about is when he pisses people off. Not the first writer to try this, but it's just such a tired act in these parts by now.

I must say that it has been so refreshing to see the snooze finally add some bench strength with the likes of total professionals like Carucci and Ty Dunne, each of who I have actually enjoyed reading.

Great post. Sullivan took facts and twisted them, which is not his, nor any other reporters, job. My favorite is he suggests the confidentiality agreement was to stop the women from reporting it if one got punched in the face. Did anyone else in the world think that? I bet he didn't even think that, he just wanted to use as much hyperbole as he could to drum up attention for his half-baked, judgmental article.

Sullivan is not by any definition a reporter but a columnist; think him as Ann Landers with a 5 day beard.