Interesting read by David Nelson

He wrote an article about how his dedication to helping kids in Haiti has derailed his chances to play in the nfl. He was the one the jets cut in order to sign Harvin last season.

http://imme.org/blog_posts/do-i-pursue-my-passion-or-my-heart/

The wide receiver position is so deep in the NFL right now that there is no demand for someone who isn't either elite or all-in. Complaining about that being the case isn't going to change that. It's not unfair, it's practical.

Bottom line....if you want to be in the NFL then do what they want because that NFL career is very short either way. Then you can spend the next 40-50 years focusing on helping people.

He's a real gem. Unfortunately for his football career he's a middle of the pack player and front offices will always go for the flashier talent.

That game vs the Raiders where the Bills came back by scoring on every second half possession including a Nelson TD on fourth and goal to win the game is a top 5 RWS moment for me

To me a 100% healthy David Nelson can be a very, very effective #4 WRor maybe even #3 on a good team and can also be a rather worthless receiver on a bad team. He has talent for sure. But a lot of professional athletes are good in good situations and rather pedestrian in others and fans aren't privy to the information or circumstance which made that true, and just stick that player in either the Suck or Doesn't Suck bin.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yep, he's a great person and teammate. I think he could be a role player somewhere like Cleveland - but even they cut him, I believe, last year in camp. The injury set him back and he was already kind of a fringe guy. He sure had some memorable times with the Bills, though he'd never make the team these days.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The wide receiver position is so deep in the NFL right now that there is no demand for someone who isn't either elite or all-in. Complaining about that being the case isn't going to change that. It's not unfair, it's practical.

Bottom line....if you want to be in the NFL then do what they want because that NFL career is very short either way. Then you can spend the next 40-50 years focusing on helping people.

Right on. Haiti will still be a big mess in 10 years

He wrote an article about how his dedication to helping kids in Haiti has derailed his chances to play in the nfl. He was the one the jets cut in order to sign Harvin last season.

http://imme.org/blog_posts/do-i-pursue-my-passion-or-my-heart/

Nice personal advertisment, hope it gets him a chance somewhere.

The thing is, a lot of players divide their attention (host female-only parties, #gronkbash, run non-profits - lots of players have 'em)

I'm reminded of St Louis at the end of the Kurt Warner era. He was healing from a broken finger, his grip was off, and he sucked - Fumbl-o-matic, no one ever saw a turnover machine like it until Schaub went to the dogs. His wife Brenda went on the radio and said the coaches and team were down on Kurt and prejudiced against him because he was a Christian. No, Brenda, it's because he sucks. When he went to a different team, learned to throw in a glove, and got his mojo back no one cared if he was a Christian or a Party Boy.

Sorry, Dave, but if you keep meeting the Turk, chances are something teams are looking for in a WR is missing. Maybe what they're trying to say is "we think you need to get your head more in the playbook and really master those routes" or "maybe you need to work overtime in the off season to build up your stabilizing muscles and get your cutting abilities back."

Nelson was always a middle-of-the-pack receiver who played above his talent by being smart about the plays and having good hands. If he's lost a step with the knee injuries and the time spent in sub-optimal off-season training environments while his peers are hitting the plyos super hard and watching film of defensive coverage, then he's gonna fall to the bottom and meet the scissors.

Nelson was always a middle-of-the-pack receiver who played above his talent by being smart about the plays and having good hands. If he's lost a step with the knee injuries and the time spent in sub-optimal off-season training environments while his peers are hitting the plyos super hard and watching film of defensive coverage, then he's gonna fall to the bottom and meet the scissors.

How do you "play above your talent"? Not trying to be an a-hole, just trying to understand.

Edit: nevermind. I read that wrong. I understand what you mean now... duh

Edited by FLbills

• 3 weeks later...

Good for him. Might just be a camp body but nice that he's getting some more cash for his Haiti projects.

Glad he caught on with the Steelers. I always liked Nelson and thought he could be a great move TE if he bulked up some.

But unless he makes the team, he'll only be paid $1,800 per week for the next month, which isn't going to help the cause much...

this

Glad he caught on with the Steelers. I always liked Nelson and thought he could be a great move TE if he bulked up some.

But unless he makes the team, he'll only be paid $1,800 per week for the next month, which isn't going to help the cause much...

yea but that's like 50k in Haitian gourde.