Pettine/Farmer struggling for power in Cleveland

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very wise CEO once told me "always take the job no one wants", there is nothing but room to look good.

First of all any hc job is still a NFL hc job. There are only 32 of these.

Secondly, because it's a lousey situation and its known to be so, if it fails miserably you've got the benefit of that widespread perception.

Thirdly ANY level of success will be viewed extra favorably by outsiders irrespective of whether it is truely warranted or not.

Plain and simple recognition of opportunity.

There's some wisdom in here.

But I would never take a job if I didn't have the resources to excel.

A very wise CEO once told me "always take the job no one wants", there is nothing but room to look good.

Secondly, because it's a lousey situation and its known to be so, if it fails miserably you've got the benefit of that widespread perception.

Thirdly ANY level of success will be viewed extra favorably by outsiders irrespective of whether it is truely warranted or not.

I completely respect this post, but I don't think it applies in the context of an NFL head coaching job. Whether it is perceived as a lousy situation or not, at the end of the day all you're judged by is the results you achieve (i.e., wins and losses). Mularkey quit the Bills and nobody gave him a break for "making the best of a bad situation."

With the exception of Donnie Henderson (granted, position coaching is a totally different animal) - I believe Pettine was the best coach we have in the building in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm a sucker for guys who give good interviews, but the dude comes off as incredibly reasonable and intelligent in everything he discusses.

[ I also quite like Roman - I just want to see him put it on the field with our roster before I go handing out superlatives. ]

well, thats certainly not good blanket advice. but can be true in specific situations.

Another year coordinating that sieve of a run D wasn't going to make him more attractives to teams that are not the Browns.

You're making a wilder assumption (that he wouldn't have improved the run D) than I am (that he would have coached a very good defense and been a top name for HC jobs).

With the exception of Donnie Henderson (granted, position coaching is a totally different animal) - I believe Pettine was the best coach we have in the building in the last 10 years. Maybe I'm a sucker for guys who give good interviews, but the dude comes off as incredibly reasonable and intelligent in everything he discusses.

[ I also quite like Roman - I just want to see him put it on the field with our roster before I go handing out superlatives. ]

You forgot Rex! :D

Seriously though, I'd agree that he was a good coach while he was here and I think a second year with Spikes and Brown would have helped the run defense.

That said I am really happy with the Rex/Roman combination. Does anyone else remember the last time we had both an OC and DC who were previously accomplished coaches in their respective areas, and both of their philosophies were in lock step?

I have to assume he had his reasons to leap at the job. At the time, Cleveland was a crazier, more disorganized mess than it is now.

C'mon now, that's easy to say since everyone is on vacation! :-) Ever since Haslam took over the absurd has become routine with the Browns. Can't wait till training camp...

Which is why plenty of coaches made the smart decision to not take the job? The wise CEO would know but not tell you to not take every job no one else wants.

Every coach wants to be an NFL head coach. It's like every players wants to be an NFL player. You don't get drafted and turn down your contract because your worried about the situation your stepping into any more than you decline a head coaching job.

Obviously the frost office thought they were on the same page as Pettine or they wouldn't have hired him, and I'm pretty sure Pettine thought the same thing.

Most of these guys whether they're players or coaches believe in themselves and believe they can do it, regardless of what that IT might be.

Every coach wants to be an NFL head coach. It's like every players wants to be an NFL player. You don't get drafted and turn down your contract because your worried about the situation your stepping into any more than you decline a head coaching job.

Obviously the frost office thought they were on the same page as Pettine or they wouldn't have hired him, and I'm pretty sure Pettine thought the same thing.

Most of these guys whether they're players or coaches believe in themselves and believe they can do it, regardless of what that IT might be.

Eli Manning did... Jim Kelly did also.

You aren't set for life... B.c if you take the job for that reason you will never be a HC again. Like I said plenty of smart coaches chose not to go into the garbage pile called Cleveland.

You can't live the rest of your life comfortably with $9 million? I can.

Urban Meyer has reportedly declined NFL coaching interviews.

He needs more control than the NFL would offer. I could only see him going into a Pete Carroll/Belichick situation (and now Chip Kelly) where he has FO responsibility plus HC. Big time college coaches can't handle not having all the control. They very much have a CEO mentality.

Edited by YoloinOhio

He needs more control than the NFL would offer. I could only see him going into a Pete Carroll/Belichick situation (and now Chip Kelly) where he has FO responsibility plus HC. Big time college coaches can't handle not having all the control. They very much have a CEO mentality.

That and no one is going to pay Meyer 6.5 million per year in a 6 season contract in the NFL.

Meyer's not stupid. Unless he gets caught cheating at OSU he has no reason to ever leave -- he's a god up there right now.