Whiny parents (Part 31)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have children who don't do well in restaurants, or don't plan on tending to your fussy child in a restaurant, order out or get take-out like the rest of us you ignorant, self-centered morons.

Edit: If I were the restaurant owner I would have asked the parents to leave...not yell at the child.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

if you have a restaurant that has problems cooking 3 "full size" pancakes, perhaps you should evaluate your choice of business....i am sure both sides are using plenty of hyperbole, but why is 3 pancakes such an issue?

Good for the restaurant owner. Sounds like the problem wasn't cooking the pancakes, it was the parents ignoring the kid and not giving her much to eat or as the owner put it, "gave her some crumbs on a place mat and talked while the kid sat there screaming for 40 minutes". A little common sense goes a long way and the "parents" should be ashamed of themselves for not taking the kid out of the place.

I didn't read any of these articles but in general, parents who believe it is their "right" to take their misbehaving, unruly children to restaurants are near the top of my schitt list.

Looks like I need to revisit the pet peeves thread.

if cooking the pancakes wasn't the problem, why does she keep bringing it up as being a problem?

Good for the restaurant owner. Sounds like the problem wasn't cooking the pancakes, it was the parents ignoring the kid and not giving her much to eat or as the owner put it, "gave her some crumbs on a place mat and talked while the kid sat there screaming for 40 minutes". A little common sense goes a long way and the "parents" should be ashamed of themselves for not taking the kid out of the place.

On a relative tangent. If you are a parent of a 2-yr old who you take on a transcontinental red eye flight, and that child is screaming at the top of her lungs (not crying, but full out scream), please pick up the child and walk her up and down the cabin to try to calm her down. Do not let her thrash and scream in her seat for 5 hours. Thank you

i was always overly reactive to my kids crying in public places...i was mortified that my kids would be interfering with someones space, almost to a fault. That said, to eball's point, there are way too many parents that think public spaces are there for them and their parenting skills. parents letting their toddlers walk and push a cart in a crowded supermarket, allowing their cute little angels to decide what kind of donut from the rows and rows of choices while the line behind them builds. I raised 3 and I was uber mindful of my surroundings and not impeding everyone else's daily activities.

On a relative tangent. If you are a parent of a 2-yr old who you take on a transcontinental red eye flight, and that child is screaming at the top of her lungs (not crying, but full out scream), please pick up the child and walk her up and down the cabin to try to calm her down. Do not let her thrash and scream in her seat for 5 hours. Thank you

I'm an advocate of airlines designating special "under 5" seating areas in the back of the plane with their parents, separated from the rest of the cabin by at least a curtain. It's simply not fair to other travelers who are essentially a captive audience.

i was always overly reactive to my kids crying in public places...i was mortified that my kids would be interfering with someones space, almost to a fault. That said, to eball's point, there are way too many parents that think public spaces are there for them and their parenting skills. parents letting their toddlers walk and push a cart in a crowded supermarket, allowing their cute little angels to decide what kind of donut from the rows and rows of choices while the line behind them builds. I raised 3 and I was uber mindful of my surroundings and not impeding everyone else's daily activities.

I think in the last generation people forgot that their precious darlings are only precious to them, not to the whole world.

Bravo!! Let everyone experience the howling midget from satans loins

I'm an advocate of airlines designating special "under 5" seating areas in the back of the plane with their parents, separated from the rest of the cabin by at least a curtain. It's simply not fair to other travelers who are essentially a captive audience.

I Travel a ton...kids are usually the best behaved people on the plane. Love getting a seat next to a little chucklehead...98% fussy only on takeoff and landing ...especially landing due to pressure changes....but the rest of the time way better than having some large, sloppy, Burger King smelling arsehole next to me for 3 hours.

I am with Pooj...what is the deal with "3 full size pancakes" being such a trouble to a place that has "diner" in the name. I know not a traditional diner...but Per Se I am sure it's not.

That being said, if my kids fussed,in restaurant when they little, out they went till they calmed down.

Unruly 5+ year olds are created by people who yell at and/or ignore unruly two year olds. The restaurant owner was not 'right' here and doesn't deserve praise or a lot of defense. From the initial FB post she is clearly a nutcase with anger issues.

That doesn't excuse the idiot parents who should have ordered something quick if the child was hungry and should have entertained her during the wait instead of ignoring her. Having eaten many meals out with our 3 small kids, there are plenty of strategies to limit the damage. We get in and out of restaurants in 45 minutes. Order quickly...order things that are easy/quick to make.....ask for the check when they bring the entrees...give 'em the iphones when they start to get fussy....etc. And of course, teach your child how to behave in public. Too many people think their 'dining experience' should be just like it was before they had kids. And it should be...if you left the kids at home with a sitter.

I Travel a ton...kids are usually the best behaved people on the plane. Love getting a seat next to a little chucklehead...98% fussy only on takeoff and landing ...especially landing due to pressure changes....but the rest of the time way better than having some large, sloppy, Burger King smelling arsehole next to me for 3 hours.

On our last flight (CA to NY) our 6 year old had to sit alone in the row in front of us. She and the guy next to her were chatting away for half the flight. It was hysterical.

Edited by KD in CT

I am with Pooj...what is the deal with "3 full size pancakes" being such a trouble to a place that has "diner" in the name. I know not a traditional diner...but Per Se I am sure it's not.

I am not sure about my pancake thing, but my impression is that the restaurant owner was irritated that the people ordered a menu item, for a very hungry child, that takes a long time to cook. Therefore, the child was left screaming while waiting.

Also, what 2 year old eats a full order of pancakes? My daughter will be 2 in November, and when I make pancakes she might have 5-6 pieces and some fruit. My son was the same way. Also, as a parent of 2 children I know that it is a necessity when you go out to eat to bring snacks (ie., cheerios, raisins) for them to chew on while we are waiting for food.

Sounds here like the patrons were complete dolts, and the owner may have gone a little over the the top out of frustration.

I am not sure about my pancake thing, but my impression is that the restaurant owner was irritated that the people ordered a menu item, for a very hungry child, that takes a long time to cook. Therefore, the child was left screaming while waiting.

Also, what 2 year old eats a full order of pancakes? My daughter will be 2 in November, and when I make pancakes she might have 5-6 pieces and some fruit. My son was the same way. Also, as a parent of 2 children I know that it is a necessity when you go out to eat to bring snacks (ie., cheerios, raisins) for them to chew on while we are waiting for food.

Sounds here like the patrons were complete dolts, and the owner may have gone a little over the the top out of frustration.

So you have the wherewithal to bring snacks, but you let an unfamiliar junkie into your house for showers.

I take offense to these parents who seem to think it is ok to let their kid scream like this in public created serious noise pollution..........the sound of this is like fingernails scratching on a chalkboard to me.

I am totally sympathetic to that parent who is doing everthing they can to calm the child down and its not working....but you know those parents....who are so used to allowing this noise pollution to happen that they have become immune to it.....while everyone else......in a theatre.....in a resturant.....somewhere you go to PAY MONEY to do something and have to listen to this for a extended period of time.....

Christ....I WILL BUY YOU A SNACK TO GIVE TO THE CHILD IF THAT WILL SHUT THEM UP.