Bills OL coach Aaron Kromer arrested (Suspended 6 games)

The link above says they were going to bench him in the earlier game but the defense bailed him out.

Of course that had merit. They were totally true.

Didn't he say Jay wasn't checking out of run plays enough? That's about the last thing the 2014 Bears needed to do.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He undermined Cutler? LOL! As you said, they benched Cutler for Jimmy freakin' Clausen, precisely for reasons Kromer mentioned. And you've never had anything good to say about Cutler so you of all people should have sided with Kromer. Now you flip-flop, most likely because the Bills hired him.

As for the "poorly though out positions and flip flops" thing, physician, heal thyself.

No, I've not been a big fan of Cutler, but an OC never does that to his franchise QB. Why does this have to be explained to anyone? Why should it depend on how I feel about Cutler to call this a douche move on Kromer's part---everyone on the planet felt this way about it.

So because you have a limited imagination (or experience in real world situations), he's undoubtedly guilty?

You sure you want to rest your opinion on just your own limitations? You might be right in this case, I'm in no way saying that you're wrong. All I'm saying is it's foolish to rush to judgement (as you have) without knowing the full story. You don't know the full story by your own admission, you just "imagine" that there's no other possible explanation to the events and how they unfolded.

That's really a ridiculous stance to take -- you're entitled to it of course, it's just foolish.

As for your second paragraph, this is where you take a turn to crazy town: So I'm turning to you to tell me what you must believe is something that would exonerate him, yet you can't be brought to even speak about what that might be.... in a discussion on this topic. That's odd

It's only odd because you continue to misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm not saying I know there is something out there that is going to exonerate Kromer. All I've said is that we don't know the whole story. Which we don't. The story could get WORSE for Kromer when all the facts are known, or it could get better. That's why it's ridiculously short-sighted of you to be so certain in your stance right now. You don't have a dog in this fight, you're not his employer or his judge... so why do you feel the need to take such a hard line on the issue when you've admitted you don't know the whole story? Save the righteous indignation for when you actually know the full scope of his crimes.

You keep saying I'm rushing to judgement and have righteous indignation. All I have done is admit that I think he did what the cops think he did and wrote in their report. Yes, my imagination is limited to credible scenarios. You can't even bring yourself to imagine what is missing in this story. Why can't we debate this instead of saying "we can't speculate until the whole story is known"---as if completely opposing accounts fro the two sides will bring us closer to "the whole story"?

So you're the self-righteous guy who looks at everything from the most damming perspective possible, passes extreme judgments, and advocates for disproportionately harsh penalties, yet fancies himself a swell guy.

Hey wait a minute!!

Didn't he say Jay wasn't checking out of run plays enough? That's about the last thing the 2014 Bears needed to do.

He said he had trouble checking out of run plays. Are you arguing that the Bears OC didn't know the truth, and that Cutler actually was good checking out of run plays, and the OC told reporters he wasn't good at it even though he was?

Edited by Kelly the Dog

No, I've not been a big fan of Cutler, but an OC never does that to his franchise QB. Why does this have to be explained to anyone? Why should it depend on how I feel about Cutler to call this a douche move on Kromer's part---everyone on the planet felt this way about it.

Doesn't sound like Cutler was "his franchise QB" or even the Bears' franchise QB by that time. He certainly wasn't playing like one, although he was being paid like one, and that's what helped lead to Kromer losing his job with the Bears. Which led to the frustration and making the comments to Rapoport.

He said he had trouble checking out of run plays. Are you arguing that the Bears OC didn't know the truth, and that Cutler actually was good checking out of run plays, and the OC told reporters he wasn't good at it even though he was?

I'm arguing that the Bears did not need to check out of runs. They threw too much. Kromer may have wanted him to check out, but Cutler knew what was best.

lol. Yeah, ok. And which one of those "1000 things" do you think was said that made Aaron's son feel he needed to stick around and help these little terrorists find their fishing pole? C'mon now. smiley-laughing009.gif

Because he was the one that hit him. When dad walked off and the 4 of the younger folks calmed down Kromer Kid just tried to smooth it over. He knew he messed up.

Dad threw the fishing poles. The Kid hit the kid. it was probably okay TILL the the kid got home. Dad said wtf happened to YOU!

Ummm....

"Well i am calling the police".

the kid's Dad only knows his son is injured and wants to do the Dad thing. we all would!

Myself, would have gone over to Kromers and beat the snot out of him. and his son just because. and kicked his lawn chairs over. unless i knew my Son was possibly an issue.

I have said and i am still saying this is not what it appears to be.

And now i say Dad Kromer is going to be the one to take it one the chin. no matter what the facts may truly be.

funny that court is during camp.

i dont think Kromer is getting lawyered up very well. and Buffalo may not be backing the Man at this point

Edited by 3rdand12

I'm arguing that the Bears did not need to check out of runs. They threw too much. Kromer may have wanted him to check out, but Cutler knew what was best.

That sounds right. :doh: It wasn't even reported he checked out of runs to passes. Just that he wasn't good at it. Are you really trying to imply that Cutler knew best and Kromer was wrong? Cutler was benched for Jimmy !@#$ing Clausen.

You know, I was just thinking. Sometimes the simplest, obvious answer is ultimately the real answer. What if Kromer was simply trying to coach these kids up, and defend against the head-slap technique of onrushing defensive linemen, and, um, the kid just wasn't very good.

You know, I was just thinking. Sometimes the simplest, obvious answer is ultimately the real answer. What if Kromer was simply trying to coach these kids up, and defend against the head-slap technique of onrushing defensive linemen, and, um, the kid just wasn't very good.

That is more concerning as we are hoping he can make some guys that weren't very good play well.

That is more concerning as we are hoping he can make some guys that weren't very good play well.

That's very true. But it was very early in the 5'8 140 pound offensive lineman's career. Like day one play one. There is surely room to grow.

Unless, of course, his family is killed. Then all bets are off.

Were gonna fire somebody because he threw someone's fishing pole in the water?

that and punching the kid in the face and threatening to kill his family. The guy embarrassed the team at a time it needed stability

. I expect the bills to finish the investigation and if it appears the allegations are true to dump the guy

The question is can the Bills find a better OL coach then Kromer ? TC is critical for this line.

Yeah. At the time of year when there are the most players to coach the Bills are down an important one. Plus it's in an area where working together as a team is important and where there has been a lot of turnover. That sucks. Hopefully the players and some other coach(es) step up. If I was an assistant OL coach on the Bills I'd be looking at TC as an opportunity to interview for the OL coach position.

Now that I think about it, that's another reason not to move on from Kromer just yet. Once the Bills do (assuming they do) it would be best if they could immediately give their direction, whether that's a promotion or just that they're setting up interviews very soon. Minimizing uncertainty is a sign of a well run organization.

Edited by BarleyNY

An easy solution:

Bills say they'll wait to let the legal proceedings play out before they make a move.

Kromer's lawyer continues it out until the end of the season.

Then if the Bills want to move on they can do it at the start of the off-season rather than scrambling to find an OL coach going into camp.

I would imagine that the team already has identified what their contingency plan will be, and more than likely are prepared to move forward with it.

My guess is that Anderson will take over, since he knows the players and had at least some time to get a feel for the techniques that Kromer was teaching.

It's also important to remember that, as far as the scheme goes, the blocking concepts are Roman's design, not Kromer's. Roman has been an OL coach in the past, so scheme-wise, he knows what he wants out of the blocking set. It's the OL coach's job to make sure the players are hitting those assignments, as well as to teach technique.

I guess that's a long way of saying that I expect Kurt Anderson to take over as OL coach, and that it won't be as big of a drop off as some folks are expecting.

I would imagine that the team already has identified what their contingency plan will be, and more than likely are prepared to move forward with it.

My guess is that Anderson will take over, since he knows the players and had at least some time to get a feel for the techniques that Kromer was teaching.

It's also important to remember that, as far as the scheme goes, the blocking concepts are Roman's design, not Kromer's. Roman has been an OL coach in the past, so scheme-wise, he knows what he wants out of the blocking set. It's the OL coach's job to make sure the players are hitting those assignments, as well as to teach technique.

I guess that's a long way of saying that I expect Kurt Anderson to take over as OL coach, and that it won't be as big of a drop off as some folks are expecting.

last year at this time we were hit with Kiko tearing his ACL, Dareus arrested twice in two months, and looking at a QB trio going into camp of EJ, Thad and Tuel. We survived and were 1 game away from making the playoffs. So I'm not going to go all "doomed" either. It's not ideal but at the end of the day it's an OL coach. Edited by YoloinOhio

An easy solution:

Bills say they'll wait to let the legal proceedings play out before they make a move.

Kromer's lawyer continues it out until the end of the season.

Then if the Bills want to move on they can do it at the start of the off-season rather than scrambling to find an OL coach going into camp.

I guess I see why that is easy, but not why that is a good solution? I agree with those who think TC is critical for OL and OL is critical for our team's success

The other consideration is, doesn't the league typically take a season to mete out whatever punishment they decide on? So this will impact next season as well, if we don't move on

I guess I see why that is easy, but not why that is a good solution? I agree with those who think TC is critical for OL and OL is critical for our team's success

The other consideration is, doesn't the league typically take a season to mete out whatever punishment they decide on? So this will impact next season as well, if we don't move on

depending on what course the legal proceedings take, the leagues response could vary widely. Until the bills, who know a hell of a lot more than we do, fire him - im fine with the distraction of our OL coach missing a few days. the distraction factor is normally over blown. the only times it seems to really effect is if the distraction is a symptom of a full blown organizational meltdown. certainly not the case here.

Exactly. There are 1000 things the kids could have said in a heated exchange. The kid could have said, "Next time I ain't coming for your beach chairs I'm coming for your B word of a daughter." And Kromer then says, "Do and I'll kill you. I'll kill your whole family."

Hell, he's 48 years old. He's probably seen the classic movie, Diner, which has a football element to it. There's a famous line when Billy (Tim Daly) says, "I'll hit you so hard I'll kill your whole family."

Or perhaps he saw Death Wish :D

Because the scheme won't change from year to year, just the coach. It prevents the disruption this year and by next year they have the luxury of time to transition smoothly. And by this time next year this could be a dead issue in which case there's no need to transition at all. Edited by Rob's House