Bills Fans Ranked 28th

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2015/07/08/2015-nfl-fan-equity-rankings/

For the past three years, we have tried to answer the question of which teams have the “best” fans. “Best” is a funny word that can mean a lot of things but what we are really trying to get at is what team has the most avid, engaged, passionate and supportive fans. The twist is that we are doing this using hard data, and that we are doing it in a very controlled and statistically careful fashion.

By hard data we mean data on actual fan behavior. In particular, we are focused on market outcomes like attendance, prices or revenues. A lot of marketing research focused on branding issues relies on things like consumer surveys. This is fine in some ways, but opinion surveys are also problematic. It’s one thing to just say you are a fan of a local team, and quite another to be willing to pay several thousand dollars to purchase a season ticket.

:bag:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idiotic article. You're only an avid fan if you're "willing to shell out thousands of dollars for tickets". About the most asinine statement I've ever read. Come to Lincoln Station in Chicago for the first game of the season and tell me that there aren't avid Bills fans there. It will be wall to wall Bills jerseys!

Idiotic article. You're only an avid fan if you're "willing to shell out thousands of dollars for tickets". About the most asinine statement I've ever read. Come to Lincoln Station in Chicago for the first game of the season and tell me that there aren't avid Bills fans there. It will be wall to wall Bills jerseys!

Hell, we get 40+ out to watch games in the Lehigh Valley.

That completely ignores any economics. Just plain bizarre.

I'd say a fan base that just broke its season ticket record while in the midst of a 15 year post season drought are pretty avid. Gillette stadium would be empty if they missed the playoffs for 15 years.

I'd say a fan base that just broke its season ticket record while in the midst of a 15 year post season drought are pretty avid. Gillette stadium would be empty if they missed the playoffs for 15 years.

Eventually we will find out. The football gods giveth and they taketh away. We are almost done with our taketh portion!

+1, heck +100000

It's easy to be "avid fans" when you've had one of the best quarterbacks ever to play the game for the last 13 years

No it wouldn't.

I agree that Bills fans are better because I've been around both. I've never lived in Buffalo, so my opinion is as objective as anyone's here.

However, NE has tons of die-hard fans that would still be going to games. Boston is a great sports town.

eooyNt0.gif

Come down front, we'll buy you a beer. Front room. Reserved table.

No it wouldn't.

I agree that Bills fans are better because I've been around both. I've never lived in Buffalo, so my opinion is as objective as anyone's here.

However, NE has tons of die-hard fans that would still be going to games. Boston is a great sports town.

I went to a NE game during the early 90s and the place was half full. Boton is a great sports town if you are the Red Sox or the Celtics. Before Brady the Pats were always 3rd fiddle.

As brutal as this article was, it should be noted that this, and the study it references, is entirely about marketing strategy, brand equity, and what it refers to as "fan equity." And, while it claims to adjust for market size, and income disparity among fans, as well as other economic factors, it only does so in a way that is relevant to marketing. There is no real metric for quality, or the "hard-core" nature of fandom beyond a fan's reliability as a profit center.

And so, Buffalo fans are not the most reliable profit centers in the sports entertainment business. Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse ME!!!

Edited by Rocky Landing