Why the Buffalo news is a RAG

So I am reading through the articles linked today and I see a title that looks familiar... Do the Buffalo Bills have the worst QB situation in the NFL. It struck me that it sounded familiar, and the reason is that someone else from SYRACUSE already ran this article THREE days Ago. This HACK from the Buffalo Snooze wasn' even smart enough to change the title. AND he included the exact same poll in the bottom ofthe article that the first guy did. OMG. He should be fired at once. So should his editor.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I am reading through the articles linked today and I see a title that looks familiar... Do the Buffalo Bills have the worst QB situation in the NFL. It struck me that it sounded familiar, and the reason is that someone else from SYRACUSE already ran this article THREE days Ago. This HACK from the Buffalo Snooze wasn' even smart enough to change the title. AND he included the exact same poll in the bottom ofthe article that the first guy did. OMG. He should be fired at once. So should his editor.

While I agree with your basic premise to some degree (well, Sully), to be fair, this article drew a sharply different conclusion than the Syracuse article. The BN feature is actually contesting the notion with some solid points (the Syracuse article was agreeing with the opinion). That list was ridiculous as McCown is older and has 2 fewer above average seasons than Cassel (and Manziel cannot be considered anything but a trainwreck at this point until he proves otherwise). And the Jags and Jets not in the bottom 5 (Bortles has shown nothing and Smith has about as many good games as Manuel and waaaaay more atrocious games)? It was just someone running with a groupthink opinion that wasn't well thought out -- that the Bills have a bad QB situation and that's that. It's true, but there are too many total disasters out there to peg the Bills as the worst.

The headline is just an obvious one, as is the poll -- uninventive, but certainly not at the level to call for someone's livelihood :).

Papers share stories all the time. Was this identified as a story from the Syracuse paper or did the BN present it as all their own?

Nope. no mention of it, other than to reference the same MMQB article. Different authors too... First thin I checked.

Here is the link to the Syracuse.com article

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2015/07/buffalo_bills_qb_no_matter_who_it_is_ranks_dead_last_in_nfl_says_si_analyst.html

Not exactly the same, but OP is right, same headline, same poll, same reference to MMQB article

Oops, sorry posted at exact same time

While I agree with your basic premise to some degree (well, Sully), to be fair, this article drew a sharply different conclusion than the Syracuse article. The BN feature is actually contesting the notion with some solid points (the Syracuse article was agreeing with the opinion). That list was ridiculous as McCown is older and has 2 fewer above average seasons than Cassel (and Manziel cannot be considered anything but a trainwreck at this point until he proves otherwise). And the Jags and Jets not in the bottom 5 (Bortles has shown nothing and Smith has about as many good games as Manuel and waaaaay more atrocious games)? It was just someone running with a groupthink opinion that wasn't well thought out -- that the Bills have a bad QB situation and that's that. It's true, but there are too many total disasters out there to peg the Bills as the worst.

The headline is just an obvious one, as is the poll -- uninventive, but certainly not at the level to call for someone's livelihood :).

Yeah, he doesn't deserve to be fired, but maybe could have changed things up a bit more on the headline and poll.

He's talking about a piece that ran on MMQB. He says as much. This really has nothing to do with the Syracuse piece.

It's the offseason and there's nothing to write about. I'd rather read this than a profile on a 4th stringer fighting for a job.

That point is lost on the dissenting view in this thread. :doh:

You and I can both write a book about the Kennedy assassination.

We may end up with similar titles, and we will both be referencing the Zapruder film and the Warren Commission a lot for sure.

Doesn't mean we are copying one another.

He has to rank the quarterbacks somewhere, but here's some simple logical fallacies that aren't really addressed anywhere. The Bills offense as it stood last season was roughly middle of the pack, ranked 18th out of 32 teams with Kyle Orton at the helm. If you assume that Cassel is the guy this year, his career numbers are virtually identical to Orton's. Would anyone jump to a conclusion that the Bills offense is suddenly going to be 14 spots WORSE than the prior year with upgrades to the offensive line, running back, wide receiver, tight end, fullback and offensive coordinator? Did those 14 teams below them improve so much to warrant moving them above the Bills? The Jets had the worst passing offense in the NFL last year and will be starting the same terrible Geno Smith. Overall they were in the bottom 5 in total offense with the likes of Jacksonville, Oakland, Tampa Bay, and Tennessee. Last year, Orton was protected to a degree by one of the best defenses in the NFL no doubt. Did that defense get worse, such that Cassel would be asked to do more? I think that even most non-Bills fans expects the defense to be one of the best, if not the top unit in the NFL this season.

Unfortunately, we're plagued by writers like this. The Bills haven't had a franchise QB since Jim Kelly, so "INSERT NAME HERE" will be the worst quarterback in the NFL. It's just a senseless rant with nothing of substance behind it. Here's an easy way to qualify his statements. Matt Cassel will put up average to above average stats for a quarterback, but only because of the team around him. That certainly plays out based on history. With a good team around him, he's appeared to play well enough to not lose. On bad teams, he looks like a hot steaming pile of garbage. But, good/bad team set aside, I don't think he has the worst skills of any of the starting 32 quarterbacks.

Edited by Luxy312

This HACK from the Buffalo Snooze wasn' even smart enough to change the title. AND he included the exact same poll in the bottom ofthe article that the first guy did. OMG. He should be fired at once. So should his editor.

Man, I pick on the Snooze all the time, but in this instance you're barking up the wrong tree.

That post is part of the Bills Blitz BLOG, not a 'article'. Blogs pick up and reference other news stories all the time and it clearly says "This lull on the football calendar before training camp means the Internet will be scattered with just about every list and ranking you can imagine. Over at The MMQB, Andy Benoit ranked the 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL. Of course the Buffalo Bills' competition will continue into August, but they took dead last in this ranking." with a link to the original source for attribution.

You can untwist your knickers now and spend a bit more time on other important things...

Obviously not. I just read in another thread that the Patriots have a worse QB situation than us.