Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

If Cassel wins I think they are screwed. I don't care if it is Manuel or Taylor. I'm not as down on Manuel as you are. If one of these guys cant beat out Matt Cassel it's back to the drawing board.

I think that it's probably back to the drawing board either way (unless Taylor shocks us). Again, we are hoping for "better than Cassel" which we may or may not get. There is a long way from "better than Cassel" to franchise QB. Fortunately there may be 5 in the 1st round next year so it's a good time to take a swing at one.

Kirby, what are your thoughts on the theory that EJ can improve with better lower body mechanics? Proper footwork and throwing more consistently from a strong base. My thought is that Marrone, Hackett and whatever the name was of that joke of a QB coach we hired last year did not even attempt to overhaul Manuel's mechanics the way he needed coming from a simplified system at FSU. Would it be fair to say that he may have just begun that much-needed overhaul this offseason?

I think that he was poorly coached. The coaching was awful. I just think that the guy has been playing the position his whole life regardless of how many NFL starts he has. If his issues were learning the system and stuff like that I'd probably be more patient and chalk it up to him being young. If his issues are with how he throws the ball that's a problem. I'm not saying that he is Tebow so please nobody take it that way, but that's why he didn't make it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's probably back to the drawing board either way (unless Taylor shocks us). Again, we are hoping for "better than Cassel" which we may or may not get. There is a long way from "better than Cassel" to franchise QB. Fortunately there may be 5 in the 1st round next year so it's a good time to take a swing at one.

I think that he was poorly coached. The coaching was awful. I just think that the guy has been playing the position his whole life regardless of how many NFL starts he has. If his issues were learning the system and stuff like that I'd probably be more patient and chalk it up to him being young. If his issues are with how he throws the ball that's a problem. I'm not saying that he is Tebow so please nobody take it that way, but that's why he didn't make it.

I hear you, and accuracy isn't something that improves as commonly as seeing the field or something like that. I may be grasping at straws but still wonder if better lower body mechanics specifically may help his accuracy at some point

I hear you, and accuracy isn't something that improves as commonly as seeing the field or something like that. I may be grasping at straws but still wonder if better lower body mechanics specifically may help his accuracy at some point

Yeah, it's not impossible for sure but it's not likely either. I am not saying that he has no chance of developing but in order to do that he would have to do something that doesn't happen often.

The reports i read on QBs so far are far from encouraging. I would be really excited if they could trade for Mettenberger. The one game i saw him play last year, he was head and shoulder above EJ.

I am worried about O line dept. I read Miller has a bruise on knee which is obviously no big deal but it made me wonder who is there after him. Urbik is backing up 3 positions on the line right now.

Richardson has been playing OG and Rex has good things to say about him. It's early, but I won't be surprised if Miller or Incognito don't start because Richardson. I'm convinced we'll see the OL is improved.

Not trying to chicken little it but what have you seen from these guys that suggests it will change? Cassel hasn't been good in 5 years, EJ has regressed since entering the league and Taylor has barely played. I'm not sure that the wait and see approach will work. I'm hoping for Taylor I guess but he hasn't blown me away either.

This team will be a playoff team if they even get the level of QB play that they got last year from Orton. So far, there is nothing to suggest that will happen. I don't see guys getting more accurate. It isn't like the mistakes are coming from learning the plays. They are in one - on - one drills. You can either make the throws or you can't.

I miss Orton.

There. I said it. Does anybody have his #?

Richardson has been playing OG and Rex has good things to say about him. It's early, but I won't be surprised if Miller or Incognito don't start because Richardson. I'm convinced we'll see the OL is improved.

I miss Orton.

A guy who quit on the team and was beyond horrible after a mediocre start? Not sure why anyone would miss him.

26 thank you much for this

A request.....do you think since this is one be long string that when you change the title of the thread you could also put the page number of when the day actually starts.....

For instance.....day 1 (page XXX)

Thanks!

Good suggestion. I'll do that beginning with day 3 tomorrow.

Not trying to chicken little it but what have you seen from these guys that suggests it will change? Cassel hasn't been good in 5 years, EJ has regressed since entering the league and Taylor has barely played. I'm not sure that the wait and see approach will work. I'm hoping for Taylor I guess but he hasn't blown me away either.

This team will be a playoff team if they even get the level of QB play that they got last year from Orton. So far, there is nothing to suggest that will happen. I don't see guys getting more accurate. It isn't like the mistakes are coming from learning the plays. They are in one - on - one drills. You can either make the throws or you can't.

Kirby....you are really revision history Orton's play past the first 2 games he started

Kirby....you are really revision history Orton's play past the first 2 games he started

No, I'm not saying he was good but he was okay. The numbers say the same. Once he realized he was retiring he didn't hang in the pocket quite as long but he was fine and led the team to a 7-5 record. The Bills don't even need good QB play it just can't be the worst. As of right now the Bills may have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL. That's scary.

No, I'm not saying he was good but he was okay. The numbers say the same. Once he realized he was retiring he didn't hang in the pocket quite as long but he was fine and led the team to a 7-5 record. The Bills don't even need good QB play it just can't be the worst. As of right now the Bills may have the worst QB situation in the entire NFL. That's scary.

Im sorry there are just so many different variables playing into the "worst QB in the NFL" bit

- Rookie QBs like WInston are going to have their growing pains....Winston showed a high propensity to throw picks in college...that will increase in the NFL

- I still do not think Geno Smith is better then EJ Manuel

- The talent base around EJ, or Tyrod (at this point I am not rooting for Cassel.....we need to see what the young mobile QBs can do) alone will increase their productivity on the field

- Its early...its really early in camp......gonna have to let this play out

And as I have said in MANY posts......I still think regardless of what happens with these QBs we need to be agressive in drafting a QB high in this next draft

How about just having a new thread for each practice?

Im sorry there are just so many different variables playing into the "worst QB in the NFL" bit

- Rookie QBs like WInston are going to have their growing pains....Winston showed a high propensity to throw picks in college...that will increase in the NFL

- I still do not think Geno Smith is better then EJ Manuel

- The talent base around EJ, or Tyrod (at this point I am not rooting for Cassel.....we need to see what the young mobile QBs can do) alone will increase their productivity on the field

- Its early...its really early in camp......gonna have to let this play out

And as I have said in MANY posts......I still think regardless of what happens with these QBs we need to be agressive in drafting a QB high in this next draft

There are certainly a lot of variables but I don't think that anyone (besides maybe the Texans) would trade their QB situation for ours. It is easy as homers to think otherwise. Our talent offensively is better than most teams in the league for sure. That still doesn't change the fact that the QB situation is bad.

I agree that they are going to have to try to find the franchise guy again next year. I was hoping that they wouldn't need to waste a season with their window open though. If they could find serviceable (even below average) QB play they are loaded and a playoff team.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I miss Orton.

911 last time I checked.

EJ or Tyrod can do what Kaep did in Roman's offense. People shouldn't be so worried this year.

Can they though? It's not like Blaine Gabbert flourished in San Fran last year under Roman. Some guys just aren't any good.

Edited by Bangarang