Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course if Roman starts Cassel and our offense doesn't look better than last year's, there will be lots of questions.

Why would there be more questions than the obvious one? Why hasn't Whaley hit on a QB yet?

Why would there be more questions than the obvious one? Why hasn't Whaley hit on a QB yet?

Not sure if you're listening to WGR, but Whaley discusses this (headline: It's not easy to find a QB). Talked about potentially looking for a QB in the draft next year, if needed.

Sorry, missing half of it since I'm sitting at my desk "working", but I'm sure someone will post the link when it's up...

Seems Carucci is ready to anoint Cassel. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/05/analysis-cassel-pushes-slightly-ahead-in-starting-quarterback-race/

I've been saying all along that the real competition is between Taylor and Manuel. From what I've read, this race is too close to call. My sense is that Tyrod wins a tie because of his athleticism and being a Rex favorite, which means Manuel would currently be the odd man out.

Seems Carucci is ready to anoint Cassel. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/05/analysis-cassel-pushes-slightly-ahead-in-starting-quarterback-race/

I've been saying all along that the real competition is between Taylor and Manuel. From what I've read, this race is too close to call. My sense is that Tyrod wins a tie because of his athleticism and being a Rex favorite, which means Manuel would currently be the odd man out.

OMG! It's been 4 days of practice.

But hopefully it is Cassel. I love the idea of starting a 3rd straight qb who is on their 4th team. That has to be some kind of record right? The idea of starting a qb who's deep passes flutter gets me very excited!!!

i acknowledge that I've changed my mind many times (and as it is still early, likely will again) but I too think Cassel will start the season with the plan to have TT as backup. If Cassel gets hurt (likely) you have the mobile guy come in that the D didn't prep for. I think that they will try to trade EJ, but if they don't find a suitable partner, I think they will keep 3. I do think Cassel is pretty much what Vic described, surprising no one. I think he will be able to run the offense and manage the game and mentally prepare effectively (half the battle). I don't think they totally hate EJ or anything, I just don't think the staff is committed to developing him because they didn't draft him. He will earn an NFL paycheck fir a long time, but probably in a backup role. He's probably Blaine Gabbert. i love the kid and would love to see him emerge and lead this team, there isn't anything not to like about him. but that's just how I personally view it right now. This is a business and they need to move fast to decide who the starter is to get him as many reps as possible. This will not be drawn out, and they can't afford to wait on EJ who has had the most experience throwing to this wr group. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's particularly egregious because

A) it's the exact same opinion from a few days ago.

B) Rex went out and said why Cassel is getting the first reps with the 1's and the real competition starts today, and the scrimmage will count for most of the early impression

Couldn't you say that about 20 team? There haven't been a lot of great options. People were going crazy for Manziel and Bortles. For some reason, people like Carr who had worse numbers across than EJ had as a rookie.

The only real upgrade might be Bridgewater. We also could let the season play out and not declare it a failure after 4 days of camp too. A lot could change.

Couldn't you say that about 20 team? There haven't been a lot of great options. People were going crazy for Manziel and Bortles. For some reason, people like Carr who had worse numbers across than EJ had as a rookie.

The only real upgrade might be Bridgewater. We also could let the season play out and not declare it a failure after 4 days of camp too. A lot could change.

There is a lot of time left. Cassel's got plenty of time to pull away.

i acknowledge that I've changed my mind many times (and as it is still early, likely will again) but I too think Cassel will start the season with the plan to have TT as backup. If Cassel gets hurt (likely) you have the mobile guy come in that the D didn't prep for. I think that they will try to trade EJ, but if they don't find a suitable partner, I think they will keep 3. I do think Cassel is pretty much what Vic described, surprising no one. I think he will be able to run the offense and manage the game and mentally prepare effectively (half the battle). I don't think they totally hate EJ or anything, I just don't think the staff is committed to developing him because they didn't draft him. He will earn an NFL paycheck fir a long time, but probably in a backup role. He's probably Blaine Gabbert. i love the kid and would love to see him emerge and lead this team, there isn't anything not to like about him. but that's just how I personally view it right now.

I get what you're saying but the Gabbert comparison is kinda insulting. Gabbert was scared to get hit.

If EJ does get cut, I have a feeling he ends up in Philly. And as big of an idiot of a GM Kelly might be, he would maximize EJ.

That said, he still can win the job here. He's not exactly competing with Aaron Rodgers. And if he does somehow win the job, I would hope folks would look at him different.

The idea of starting a qb who's deep passes flutter gets me very excited!!!

Does Meh make your heart aflutter? lol

Even if Cassel is the opening day starter, he's just a pubic hair away from the clipboard. Whoever wins the Taylor/Manuel competition will be starting by the quarter pole if Meh falters or gets injured.

That begs the question what franchise QB did we miss?

Must we go through this again?

It was a rhetorical question - if each of the three QBs sputter, there is going to be only one issue facing this time. Where is the QB coming from? I think Whaley finally got hit on the head this off season to remind him that the QB position is important, and the team certainly tried to land decent players, unlike years past. It's clear they're not done.

But let's not fool ourselves and pretend that they did everything they could have done to try to improve the position prior to this year.

That begs the question what franchise QB did we miss?

there are a few guys drafted last year who could end up being that. But it is incredibly rare to draft a QB in the 1st two years in a row. They could have taken one in the 2nd. But at this point I really don't think they had given up on EJ and I also don't know what those guys will turn out to be. I'm talking about Carr, who would have been available for a trade up from the 2nd, or Jimmy G, who they could have had JG without trading up. But the whole story is yet to be written. Edited by YoloinOhio

There is a lot of time left. Cassel's got plenty of time to pull away.

I admire your love of passed around journeymen Qbs. You're like the guy who thinks he can change the girl who slept with the entire town. After the 5th time she cheats on you, maybe you should realize she is what she is.

I get what you're saying but the Gabbert comparison is kinda insulting. Gabbert was scared to get hit.

If EJ does get cut, I have a feeling he ends up in Philly. And as big of an idiot of a GM Kelly might be, he would maximize EJ.

That said, he still can win the job here. He's not exactly competing with Aaron Rodgers. And if he does somehow win the job, I would hope folks would look at him different.

it has nothing to do with anything as detailed as the way they play with the comparison. It's more about the career course.

I don't think they will cut him. They will either trade him for a draft pick or keep him as a backup until his contract runs out.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Does Meh make your heart aflutter? lol

Even if Cassel is the opening day starter, he's just a pubic hair away from the clipboard. Whoever wins the Taylor/Manuel competition will be starting by the quarter pole if Meh falters or gets injured.

I think they'd prefer Taylor/Manuel.

Think of it this way, would you rather design an offense that plays to the strengths of Taylor or Manuel then dumb it down for Cassel if either of those 2 can't preform? Or design an offense for Cassel, which would be more limited than one with Taylor/Manuel, then have to reteach or try to put in new wrinkles mid season if Cassel can't preform?