An Open Letter To Albert Hanynesworth (from himself)

Albert was always a monster physical talent but a lot of people seem to forget that the game is very mental both on and off the field. Having all that on your lap takes a toll on a man and some people just can't handle it or put in the consistent effort needed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the words of Biggie Smalls, "Mo money, mo problems". I know pretty much everyone in this world would like to have that on their plate, but not many get to see it from the inside looking out at the world around them. Happy for Albert, that he is content with the life he has.

I guess, ultimately, who cares? What redemption does he owe you or I and why hold him accountable to walking that road? as long as what he says is true in that he has found something that makes him happy. If he's lying about that, so be it. Doesn't hurt any of us. It's not like we are a GM debating signing the guy.

His open letter to himself is actually a letter to us, the general public, seeking some level of redemption or at least repair for his image... otherwise why write it?

From my perspective, since the letter is autobiographical it is naturally biased. There are no statements from Mike Shanahan, his reportedly corrupt friend, or anyone else. Just Haynesworth in damage control mode way after the fact.

His open letter to himself is actually a letter to us, the general public, seeking some level of redemption or at least repair for his image... otherwise why write it?

From my perspective, since the letter is autobiographical it is naturally biased. There are no statements from Mike Shanahan, his reportedly corrupt friend, or anyone else. Just Haynesworth in damage control mode way after the fact.

pessimist.

Why write it? Lots of possible reasons... Seemingly an obvious target could be he simply he wishes someone would've taken the time to share their story with him at 14 and he hopes some kid may be able to make some sense of bits and pieces of it? Maybe your right and he's simply tired of being the bad guy.

Regardless, at this point, who cares? i know we pick apart pointless minutiae here but on this story, I'm just not feeling jaded enough to want to discredit the guy.

Why write it? Lots of possible reasons... Seemingly an obvious target could be he simply he wishes someone would've taken the time to share their story with him at 14 and he hopes some kid may be able to make some sense of bits and pieces of it? Maybe your right and he's simply tired of being the bad guy.

Regardless, at this point, who cares? i know we pick apart pointless minutiae here but on this story, I'm just not feeling jaded enough to want to discredit the guy.

Or, it's part of an ongoing series from a terrific new website designed around giving pro athlete's own unscripted views on the sports they play and lives they lead started by Derek Jeter and they asked him to do it. There are six so far.

Or, it's part of an ongoing series from a terrific new website designed around giving pro athlete's own unscripted views on the sports they play and lives they lead started by Derek Jeter and they asked him to do it. There are six so far.

Of course, but I think he was getting at why agree to partake.... If your going to take the time and effort you probably have some motivation.

Maybe I'm a sucker for redemption stories (despite being a big cynic with the "but he hasn't been arrested for 6minths so he's clearly reformed" crowd), but at this point I'll take it as a guy that's found his place and simply had good intentions sharing.

I was just going to write something similar. We are so lucky to have that site. It is fantastic. It's amazing that people listen to idiots like Skip Bayless (or whoever) and don't appreciate this great forum for athletes.

Of course, but I think he was getting at why agree to partake.... If your going to take the time and effort you probably have some motivation.

Maybe I'm a sucker for redemption stories (despite being a big cynic with the "but he hasn't been arrested for 6minths so he's clearly reformed" crowd), but at this point I'll take it as a guy that's found his place and simply had good intentions sharing.

Oh I totally agree with everything you have said in this thread. But he probably did it because someone asked him to and he just thought it would be a good idea.

That was a good read. I like the series that the site is doing. WRT to Albert, I'm happy for him that he's in a good place. Sucks about his financial advisor. That said, he does a really good job of blaming others, specifically Shanahan. Like how he got paid and said screw it. Better advice to himself would have been, "Don't get pouty and lazy. Pass your conditioning tests. You'll get more of that contract you signed."

This article is pretty spot on IMO.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/albert-haynesworth-mike-shanahan-contract-washington-redskins

I was just going to write something similar. We are so lucky to have that site. It is fantastic. It's amazing that people listen to idiots like Skip Bayless (or whoever) and don't appreciate this great forum for athletes.

Yup. It's a great forum and delivers quality reads every time. Good stuff.

You may be right, but perosonally I don't buy it. It sounds like he's just blaming other people for the issues he had- The Dallas center for antagonizing him, Shanahan for mis-using him, his financial advisor for blowing his money. I'm usually a sucker for redemption stories, but to me step one is to look in the mirror, not try to find other people to blame.

In the words of Biggie Smalls, "Mo money, mo problems". I know pretty much everyone in this world would like to have that on their plate, but not many get to see it from the inside looking out at the world around them. Happy for Albert, that he is content with the life he has.

Content with life. No way, that is why he craves attention and writes such drivel. He must have an IQ of 45. His whole existence seems to have been based on sacks. His coach took that away and he has whined ever since. A leader and good player and good person would have followed direction and showed teammates how to do your assignment.

And where is Biggie Small today??

You may be right, but perosonally I don't buy it. It sounds like he's just blaming other people for the issues he had- The Dallas center for antagonizing him, Shanahan for mis-using him, his financial advisor for blowing his money. I'm usually a sucker for redemption stories, but to me step one is to look in the mirror, not try to find other people to blame.

He specifically references things like needing to learn to control his emotions, admits losing his passion and wishing he would've known better. I think it's a bit silly to discuss those 3 situations without acknowledging what set him off (and he says that his reaction was one he needed to be better than), that coaching went a long way towards losing his passion and he needed to choose something other than quick huge money, and that his financial advisor was acknowledged as a fraud is hard to beat him up on. He chose a guy he trusted with credentials and it's a part of his story that's probably greatly effected him both emotionally and financially.

Maybe just trying to pass some advice on to the next generation and wanting his side of what happened with him out there. He was pretty badly torn apart in the media and by fans after signing that huge contract.

Maybe just trying to pass some advice on to the next generation and wanting his side of what happened with him out there. He was pretty badly torn apart in the media and by fans after signing that huge contract.

Yep, I'm finding it pretty hard to believe that some think this is some attention starved, blame everyone else, woe is me piece. I read it totally differently and have read it 4 times now trying to see it from a different perspective.

It is a retrospective of regret. He regrets so many decisions that he made but he isn't blaming anyone but his younger self. He isn't saying "Mike Shannahan made me a bust." He is saying, "I should have stayed in Tennessee. I should have thought it through." He is telling how different situations shaped his life, and to use the appropriate cliche, "learned from his mistakes." I am just not reading it as it is "____'s" fault.