2015-16 Buffalo Bills Negative Thread

I guess this gets placed in the negative thread? Dolphins Super Bowl? :lol:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503110/article/harvard-students-model-picks-dolphins-seahawks

Bullard also has an interesting prediction for Western New York. After an offseason of record season ticket sales, the Bills come in with just a 40 percent chance to make the playoffs in the Bullard model, and he writes that "the much touted Billsrevamping...may not have the desired effect." Buffalo has added LeSean McCoy, as well as the bombastic, high-flying Rex Ryan.

Edited by What a Tuel

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassell starts, McCoy gets hurt, Clays a bust, Harvin complains and the Bills go 8-8 and miss the playoffs for the 16th straight year.

That's hardly negative at all. Why, some of the really nattering nabobs of negativism that frequent this site (but are suspiciously absent from this thread) would say that's an realistic - if not downright optimistic view of what they think will happen to this year's squad of Bills.

the really nattering nabobs of negativism that frequent this site (but are suspiciously absent from this thread) would say that's an realistic - if not downright optimistic view

From the perspective of someone who has been here since the inception of TBD......I see plenty of long time Bills fan haters.....nabobs, if you will..... in this thread.

One of the upsides for TBD when the Bills actually start to compete is that people who make a living sniping fans on here for having takes that actually reflect the organizational performance will be put out of business by success.

Not that you guys won't be all about complaining about the past......it's just that nobody is going to want to re-live the blur of bad football that has been the past 15 years.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to get excited about the Bills. The lack of even an average QB means another season where the quality in other positions can't overcome the QB problem. So they don't have a shot at the Super Bowl. Rinse and repeat.

From the perspective of someone who has been here since the inception of TBD......I see plenty of long time Bills fan haters.....nabobs, if you will..... in this thread.

One of the upsides for TBD when the Bills actually start to compete is that people who make a living sniping fans on here for having takes that actually reflect the organizational performance will be put out of business by success.

Not that you guys won't be all about complaining about the past......it's just that nobody is going to want to re-live the blur of bad football that has been the past 15 years.

Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to get excited about the Bills. The lack of even an average QB means another season where the quality in other positions can't overcome the QB problem. So they don't have a shot at the Super Bowl. Rinse and repeat.

Where are the rest of your friends? Afraid to post in this thread, I see.

That's incredibly ironic, since most of your takes continue to harp upon the past 15 years rather than the past 2-3 (when this organization changed significantly in how they do business).

How do you feel about the Sabres?

Never heard of them. Are they good?

I may need a new fridge. That's negative for me.

Also Brady is appealing his appeal. Thats kind of negative to me too.

Also I can only marry one woman. That's really negative for me.

My boss is retarded. Thats kind of negative for me.

Wide right is very very negative for me.

After watching today's camp practice, I'm worried we overpaid Charles Clay

They kept him out of practice for the most part - to keep him fresh for Saturday's Blue & White scrimmage.

Your post truly belongs here.

I'm going out of the country till 8/14, with no internet access, and can't follow the Bills!

Good thing too. One of the squads - either the Blue or the White will lose tonight, and you might not be able to take it. :nana:

They kept him out of practice for the most part - to keep him fresh for Saturday's Blue & White scrimmage.

Your post truly belongs here.

Good thing too. One of the squads - either the Blue or the White will lose tonight, and you might not be able to take it. :nana:

I was talking about Clay the day before yesterday. And you are right, it's a lose lose lose situation.

This thread is way shorter then the positive thread, so lets fix that. :D

First, expecting the new coaches (line coach Aaron Kromer & OC Greg Roman) to pull off the task of building a top line this season from the ashes of the very worst run blocking unit in the league last year will be nothing short of epic...almost biblical in proportions. Meaning that it may take some help from the good lord above.

I say this because like a QB's development it generally takes 2-3 years for a O lineman to develop properly unless they are a gifted first or second rounder. Expecting a 3rd rounder or a 7th rounder to to step into an NFL starting job and instantly become competitive is basically asking for a miracle.

Consider that Marrone & Hackett ran the ball so often in their first year, and accomplished almost nothing but some good overall run stats. The Bills were #1 team in the NFL in rushing attempts, and the #2 team in the NFL in rushing yards, and the most it got them was 6-10! The Bills fielded an offense that garnered the nickname the "hurry up and punt offense". Yet that team as much as they ran the ball couldn't make a 3rd and short by running, or control the clock with the run game. It was usually a very predictable 1st down run up the middle followed by a 2nd down run up the middle followed by a third and long the rookie QB's were forced to try and make, and that typically ended up with a punt!

That year the Bills were 31st in first down stats with 273 first downs out of 1,020 plays with a first down % of 26.8. The Bills were also 29th in 3rd down efficiency. 25th in 3 and out percentage

That year the Bills ran a most simplistic passing offense because of the rookie QB's. They could have fielded a more complex run offense other then 70+% of the time up the middle for which they really had no bruising up the gut type RB. Instead they had a "waterbug" type RB (Gailey's term), and an older elusive RB with 8 years already under his belt. Neither starting RB's were built for that pound it up the gut style that Nathaniel Hackett wanted to run.

Even now this year the Bills have RB in McCoy that needs a hole and is not a pound it up the gut type RB like Greg Romans previous starting RB Frank Gore is. Perhaps Dixon or Williams is better suited for that role, and McCoy / Jackson as the change ups once the defense is not expecting a run or worn down. Anyway, I can see the starters having some difficulty in finding openings especially on the right side of this years line.

Next, consider that last season the 49ers fielded the #4 rushing offense, and were #9 in rushing attempts with punishing RB Gore rushing for 1106 yards on 255 carries. Plus they already have their franchise QB in Colin Kaepernick. A four year QB that already helped them get to the SB, and playoffs. Then the 49ers field one of the very best offensive lines in the league with several pro bowlers on it. They have one of the best young TE's in the game with Vernon Davis, and a decent WR corps with Crabtree, Boldin. Their defense was also pretty good with being 5th in yards allowed, and 10th in points.They also had one of the best young head coaches in the league in Jim Harbaugh.

Last year the 49ers finished the season 8-8

Hrmm, should we discuss last years NY Jets?

Last year the Jets were #4 in rushing attempts, and #3 in rushing yards. Then they had the #6 defense in yards allowed, but stunk in being 24th in points allowed. The Jets had some decent RB's in Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson along with WR's Eric Decker, Percy Harvin. Although Harvin only had 8 game starts. The Jets have some pro bowlers on their offensive line that was ranked #13 overall, and they graded 8th in pass blocking. Which really doesn't explaining the poor play of their QB's! Need I remind anyone how bad the Jets were last year with horrid QB play by Geno Smith- Mike Vick with the Jets finishing the year 4-12. :sick:

What does all this mean? Just don't expect the Bills to dominate the league just from playing good defense, and running the ball. Its a start, but more factors are involved. The QB play is still highly important, and not by just having a game manager. The Bills will need to hit the big play from time to time from Sammy, Goodwin, Harvin to keep the opposing defense honest, and keep them from stacking the box.

Bills fans along with the Bills FO need to remember that EJ has had only 14 game starts, and that was with no nothing morons coaching him. I look at this season as EJ's first year with some actual qualified veteran NFL coaching tutoring him. Should EJ get the starting job there will be growing pains over the next two years IMHO. However once EJ settles in and "gets it". Meaning reading the defense properly and seeing the entire field, he could be all they first thought he could be! a top 15 starter. The kid needs a chance to learn and develop. So, expecting a great season this year with playoffs is kinda day dreaming at this point.

With Matt Cassel as the starter I can see the Bills entering the season looking somewhat good, and when when opposing defenses see Cassel's arm limitations (especially at RWS with those swirling, gusting winds) I can see defenses moving up to stop the run like they did with Fitz. Its possible to see a decent passing offense this year, as long as that left side of the line holds up. How good would the team have been with Fitz, and a #1 defense? With Cassel the statue everything is so dependent on the players in front of him holding their blocks. At least Fitz could run and escape the rush.

Tyrod Taylor might have great difficulties as the starter, as he will always be looking to run to escape the rush. Like with Bryce Brown and his fumbles we can expect some INT's. I know Bills fans look at him and see another Russell Wilson. No way the Ravens let the guy walk if they saw that kind of talent in him. They would have found a way to get him involved in the offense. This kid is still inexperienced and needs a bunch of playing time.

I can see growing pains in this years offense from any of the three QB's starting. JMO

FTL, I liked Fitz as well, but his constant throwing of pick sixes at crucial points in the game still haunt me. On the flip side, I am sure we will strike pay dirt on a franchise QB soon. It seems that the FO realizes that is the priority. I'm not a fan of EJ, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if he proved me wrong.