RWS to Buffalo Airport Advice

DC Greg

Looking for a little advice before I book a flight and make plans here for a trip! So looks like I'll be flying in for the Pats game week two. There's a flight back to DC I'd like to catch at 6:15. Is it reasonable to assume I can make that flight if I don't leave the game early? Usually I would head out of the game going south towards Erie, so not used to going north after a game.

Also, looks like the two ways to do that would be to take 90 or rt 20. Which one is worse for traffic after a game and how long would you estimate either route would take?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

No it is most certainly NOT reasonable to think you can make a 6:15 flight if you leave after the game. This was brought up sometime last season for someone and you may not even be near the airport by 6:15 depending on conditions leaving the game which are sure to be slow and then if you have a long security line... I think someone said they made it for a flight in your time frame so while perhaps it's doable, it is very much on the un reasonable side of expectations.

wouldn't advise it.

game can end as late as 4:30 pm. no matter, if you stay til the end, and leave with the crowd, you are probably NOT making a 6:15 flight (check in 1 hour early).

if you leave early (at least 5 min or more of game time remaining), then it's doable.

Make sure you check in for your flight a day ahead of time. Any time saving is going to help. But I wouldn't cut it that close. The Dulles option listed above might be a better idea. I've had WAY too many close calls. It's just not worth the ulcers and grinding teeth.

wouldn't advise it.

game can end as late as 4:30 pm. no matter, if you stay til the end, and leave with the crowd, you are probably NOT making a 6:15 flight (check in 1 hour early).

if you leave early (at least 5 min or more of game time remaining), then it's doable.

...unless of course it is a rout one way or the other in which case you will be leaving early with thousands of others.

I used to try to get out of town on Sunday nights after the game, but my rule of thumb was no flight earlier than 7 p.m. (which would allow me to stay until the end of the game). I never had a problem.

Nowadays I just relax after the game and fly home on Monday -- which is fantastic when the Bills win.

I've made that flight 3 times and not left a game early yet. I park at ECC in the far lot because it's easier to get out (yes you have to walk quickly). I make a left out of ECC then a right down Brompton to McKinley. Make a right into the McKinley Mall parking lot, cut through the parking lot to the second light (I think) cross over McKinley then cut through that parking lot over to the Home Depot and out at the light on Milestrip (the lots all connect). Left onto Milestrip, right onto the 90 get in the left lane and haul arse.

I'm aware this plan requires a relatively high level of driving douchebaggery but it's doable.

Looking for a little advice before I book a flight and make plans here for a trip! So looks like I'll be flying in for the Pats game week two. There's a flight back to DC I'd like to catch at 6:15. Is it reasonable to assume I can make that flight if I don't leave the game early? Usually I would head out of the game going south towards Erie, so not used to going north after a game.

Also, looks like the two ways to do that would be to take 90 or rt 20. Which one is worse for traffic after a game and how long would you estimate either route would take?

a) I have done this exact thing before and made it with time to have a beer before the plane. Probably once/twice a year.

b) It helps a lot if you have pre-check. Do not check your luggage and check in online before you get to the airport. Have the boarding pass on your phone. All time savers.

c) If you do decide to go for it - do NOT park in the stadium lots. I park at the corner of California and Big Tree and briskly walk to my car once its over.

There is the risk of getting caught in a DUI check point or something of the sort in which case you are sunk. But generally traffic moves all the way to the airport.

Leave the game at 4:30 - 15 min to the car + 30 to the airport + 15 min to return car/etc. leaves you about 45 min to get in and through security which most likely be enough time on a Sunday night.

Also- should go without saying.. DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

Edited by jo39416

First of all stay off the 90 at all cost. Second, park along Southwestern in a spot that allows you to make a right turn to go eastbound. It's a bit of a walk but there is a small private at Value Auto Care Center lot on Southwestern before the railroad bridge. Park there. It's just $6.

https://goo.gl/maps/w4vVy

Mind you, you'll be walking a good quarter mile to/from the stadium, but you will be able to get in your car and go. No traffic tieups getting out. Once on Southwestern, head east to the five corners intersection and make a left onto Union. Go north on Union until Genesee. Make a right, go a a mile or so, and the airport will be in your left. I say you can make your flight if you can drive off by 5pm. Just stay off the thruway.

https://goo.gl/maps/DWiqH

Edited by PromoTheRobot

FYI United has a nonstop to Dulles leaving at 7:18 p.m.

Southwest has non-stops to BWI, leaving at 7:55 p.m. and 10:10 p.m.

Thanks for all the advice here... this is all very helpful!

Dallas, where are you seeing those 7:55 and 10:10 flights to BWI at? I'm on SW website and only seeing the 6:15 flight as the last one. If there is a later flight, I will for sure do that instead!

Edited by DC Greg

Book a later flight. Relax. Enjoy the game, and the stadium atmosphere. Life is short. Enjoy the experience. Whatever the f else is going on can wait.....

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

If you approach RWS from Abbott and park before rt 20, at game end Abbott gets 4 lanes outgoing and nobody even needs them because everyone wants to turn on right on Milestrip (for 219). Instead, go straight on Abbott and you will hit the I-90 East at Ridge without any slowdowns.

...unless of course it is a rout one way or the other in which case you will be leaving early with thousands of others.

why would you leave blowing out the Pats? wait for Brady to either lose composure or to really lose composure. never leave early.

I recollect the houston oilers game for reference.

If you don't leave early you could be stuck in the parking lot for up to 2 hours after the game.