Women's World Cup

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That yellow on Holiday was a crap call. It was definitely a foul, but not even close to card-worthy.

Colombia draws crap calls. They play chippy, and every five seconds they have someone diving, and the officials always seem to buy it.

This is the third time I've watched them play (vs. France and England). I hope it's the last (looks like it will be, after that PK). They are annoying as **** to watch.

Colombia draws crap calls. They play chippy, and every five seconds they have someone diving, and the officials always seem to buy it.

This is the third time I've watched them play (vs. France and England). I hope it's the last (looks like it will be, after that PK). They are annoying as **** to watch.

As if their flopping wasn't annoying enough for one game, it's going to play a big role in the next game with the loss of Rapinoe and Holiday.

Hopefully the loss of rapinoe and holiday means inserting Press and Leroux. This is both because they will add more punch offensively, and because they are gorgeous.

Wambach has been terrible. She needs to be that 75th minute sub when you need a goal, not starting. She does nothing but cherry pick and she hasn't even been finishing her chances at a high rate.

Edited by FluffHead

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/fifa-womens-world-cup/another-lackluster-effort-from-us-women/ar-AAbYk1f

"And yet, the Americans think they're doing just fine.

"This is the World Cup. I'm really satisfied with advancing," U.S. coach Jill Ellis said.

Others aren't, to put it mildly.

"If she is pleased with the way we played tonight then what the hell is she doing coaching our U.S. team," Michelle Akers, a star on the 1991 and '99 World Cup champion teams, said on SiriusXM FC's post-games show."

Well said, Michelle!

Edited by GaryPinC

why wasn't leroux playing last night? also, this is a stupid newbie question....having to sit out the next game doesn't mean the US plays 2 women down does it? how do the yellow cards work and how do they become red cards?

Hopefully the loss of rapinoe and holiday means inserting Press and Leroux. This is both because they will add more punch offensively, and because they are gorgeous.

Wambach has been terrible. She needs to be that 75th minute sub when you need a goal, not starting. She does nothing but cherry pick and she hasn't even been finishing her chances at a high rate.

why wasn't leroux playing last night? also, this is a stupid newbie question....having to sit out the next game doesn't mean the US plays 2 women down does it? how do the yellow cards work and how do they become red cards?

Two yellows equal a red. They'll be at full strength, just without those two.

2 yellows in the same game = red card ...2 in consecutive games = game suspension?

2 total yellows in any games prior to the semi's means a 1 game suspension. Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Not really following this, but a men's team winning 2-0 in a quarterfinal would be cause for major celebration.

"If she is pleased with the way we played tonight then what the hell is she doing coaching our U.S. team," Michelle Akers, a star on the 1991 and '99 World Cup champion teams, said on SiriusXM FC's post-games show."

Well said, Michelle!

IMO, few things in sports more annoying than old timers criticizing everyone who's not living up to the "Well in my day..." standard.

That yellow on Holiday was a crap call. It was definitely a foul, but not even close to card-worthy.

agreed. the Colombians were taking falls and I was wishing the US would do the same.

well they are out so you get your wish!!

Dear Cristen Press,

Marry me. My wife won't mind, I promise.

:D I thik you need to take a number and wait in line

only red card players get booted and the team has to play short.

2 yellows in 1 game = red

2 yellows in the same game = red card ...2 in consecutive games = game suspension?

correct. team plays full strength

watching other teams play, I will agree the US women looked like they need improvement on passing and coordination.

that said a 2-0 win is good enough for me

Did I hear that this is the longest record (time) for keeping opponents scoreless!!! ??

Agreed her time is definitely up.

Not really following this, but a men's team winning 2-0 in a quarterfinal would be cause for major celebration.

IMO, few things in sports more annoying than old timers criticizing everyone who's not living up to the "Well in my day..." standard.

Lets not compare to men's game where other countries actually care and are funded.

It's not just an old timer ripping the coach.

Seems to be a consensus to everyone not named Jill Ellis:

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/6/17/8796413/usa-nigeria-2015-womens-world-cup-jill-ellis-team-selection-tactics

The US women look out of sync. How many times were Wambach and Lloyd running to the exact same spot on crosses and corners? They look very bad offensively; thankfully the defense has made it a non-issue but they're about to start facing teams who can put the ball in the net.

Yeah, geez, is she a looker or what? Holy schnikees.

And talented - watching her play is a treat. And smart as hell, it seems. Went to Stanford, and judging by her blog is very well-spoken.

The US women look out of sync. How many times were Wambach and Lloyd running to the exact same spot on crosses and corners? They look very bad offensively; thankfully the defense has made it a non-issue but they're about to start facing teams who can put the ball in the net.

They are obviously out of sync, but I do think last night's disjointed play was exacerbated to no small degree by the Colombians' style of play. 15 penalties in the first half, 12 on the US. Tough to get in to any sort of rhythm when play is stopped every three minutes by the Colombians' theatrics.

Edited by DC Tom

They are obviously out of sync, but I do think last night's disjointed play was exacerbated to no small degree by the Colombians' style of play. 15 penalties in the first half, 12 on the US. Tough to get in to any sort of rhythm when play is stopped every three minutes by the Colombians' theatrics.

There was one "foul" in the half in which the Colombian looked up and was holding her mouth as if she had been kicked in the teeth, then they showed the replay and there was zero contact. Just disgraceful -- reminds me of why i hate watching men's soccer and only do so out of "obligation" during the World Cup.

There was one "foul" in the half in which the Colombian looked up and was holding her mouth as if she had been kicked in the teeth, then they showed the replay and there was zero contact. Just disgraceful -- reminds me of why i hate watching men's soccer and only do so out of "obligation" during the World Cup.

That one was memorable. I think the US player's arm brushed her upper arm, and a half-second later she acted like her teeth were knocked out. At least that one wasn't called. Though I wish they'd have called the Colombian for diving, that was so egregious.

Actually the next round of games will be the quarterfinals. The US women's team is ranked second in the world. The US men are 27th. So, yes, the men winning a world cup game in the round of 16 or 8 is a good cause for celebration but not so much for the women.

The US women played bad soccer in this game. Lack of team passing, strategy, moving for each other. Poor decision making. Their defense played really well at least, but the team has big problems possessing, getting the ball up the field and generating quality chances. Columbia is ranked 28th and can't even shoot with power. It's no mystery that the majority of their corner kicks were going to be a short pass yet Jill Ellis didn't send anyone to cover it. We should have killed this Columbia team.

I don't feel Michelle Akers is pulling the "well in my day" thing. She's just frustrated the coach is satisfied with the win instead of calling her team out. Jill Ellis is just not getting it done with this team. They can still beat China, even without Rapinoe and Holiday, but are ripe for the upset and I doubt they win another game after that. I coach girls soccer at the early teen level and many teams down here can play more intelligent soccer than what the USWNT is showing and that reflects badly on the entire US sport and is frustrating.

I'd be interested to hear why you think this is such crazy talk. Granted, I don't follow the USWNT and Rapinoe but what I've seen from her at the outside midfield is she maintains good field and tactical position, isn't afraid to beat somebody, possesses the ball well, is a decent passer and defends well, including a hustling effort. She also seems to have good tactical intelligence. She's a real presence in there. The biggest unknown from me is if she plays well with her left foot because she certainly favors her right when she's on the left side of the line, but that may be due to how she chooses to play in that position.

If it's been tried and she failed miserably, that's fine but given the lack of inside midfield presence for this team I'd be interested in trying her there.

Check out the video clip of Nigeria's best goal attempt in the first half. Isn't that Rapinoe at good defensive depth but at her outside position and thus not able to make a play on the passer?

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015/6/17/8796413/usa-nigeria-2015-womens-world-cup-jill-ellis-team-selection-tactics

She's 2 feet tall and a skinny as a rail. She's an excellent player in every respect but that doesn't mean she can play center mid. It's like making Shaq a point guard or Stephen Curry a center. Being good doesn't mean you're good everywhere. Rapinoe is a stud outside player and that's where she should be.

By the way, you asked about whether Rapinoe has a left--Happy to dig this out and always worth rewatching especially the build-up. (USA played down a player for a lot of the match.)

Interestingly on the women's side, the diving is reserved for the South American teams. You won't see it from others but they do it regularly. Even in the above clip, there's reference to a moment in extra time where a woman got hauled off on a stretcher and then came back on the field 1 minute later (she got a yellow card for that). The women generally play much tougher than the men.

The team has regressed under Ellis. They are playing nowhere near the level they played at 4 years ago. Wambach has a role on the team but it's not starting. There may be certain tactical moves that could make a difference but the poor coaching is more reflected in a terrible style of play where they charge forward, lob long 50-50 balls over the midfielders, and generally don't move the ball intelligently at all. They play like a bunch of individually talented 7th graders.

Columbia was not that good but at times moved the ball much better than the US. If not for the strength of the US defense, Columbia would have given them trouble.

I expect the US to stomp China even without Rapinoe and Holliday. I've seen them play China and there's usually a point past which China just can't keep up with the US strength and fitness. If it's tied after 50 minutes, expect the US to win by 3. If China gets a lead, it may be hard.

BTW, good take from Katie Baker at Grantland:

Postgame complaints ranged from fan disbelief over head coach Jill Ellis’s stodgy lineup decisions — “I think Jill Ellis watched [Game of Thrones] and thought, ‘I like how that Stannis fellow sticks to a plan!’” is how one wag aptly put it on Twitter; former national team leader Michelle Akers went on the radio to similarly rip the coach — to Wambach whining over the calls that will leave both Holiday and Rapinoe on the sideline for the next game against China. It was hard to tell whether Wambach really meant it or was trying to deflect attention off the anemic offense and onto herself, but it wasn’t a promising look either way.
Still, as Julie Foudy pointed out, criticism can signify progress. The discussion around the women’s national team during this World Cup has been rife with the kind of frustration and second-guessing that demonstrates genuine sports investment. This is no longer a fan base populated by star-struck little girls in Hamm kits; it is one in which coed stakeholders rant and rave (the more ignorant rantings and ravings of certain sportswriters be damned) the way they would over, say, Zach Ertz’s Philadelphia Eagles.

Edited by Observer

Best game they've played IMO. Time to beat the Germans.

Brian was absolute perfection. Unforgivable that Ellis wasn't starting her. Rodriguez was amazing and again, unforgivable that Ellis wasn't starting her.

Dump Lloyd (great goal--turnover machine) and start Brian and Holliday at CM. Brian likes to play more defensive and Hoilday more offensive so that's perfect. Start Rodriguez and Morgan up top. Morgan is just a hair off on her touches but is close to breaking loose. I wouldn't hate O'Hara for Heath against Germany. Rapinoe obviously returns.

Germans are good but mostly just friggin' huge. I hope Ellis doesn't start Wambach looking for height. Wambach should be a late game sub when they are in need of a tying goal. No other role for her.

Press should be on the bench for the remainder of this tournament. She has less role in the game than Wambach (except to entertain Tom).

Edited by Observer

they looked better in the first half controlling and passing. Very fast 45 minutes.

Did you hear Abby just prior to the 2nd half? paraphrase lets go out there and score a goal in the first 10 F-ing minutes!!!

once they did they slowed a bit with "ball control"

Montreal is packed with USA jerseys. Just saw a German family and high-fived them just because they were so in the minority. Going to be like a home game tonight.

That's great. Enjoy!