Bills Teammates Rave about Tyrod Taylor

Just to clarify my feelings on Orton (and they are very similar to Cassel). I LOVED Orton as a backup. I absolutely hated the idea of him as a starter. Before he started a game, I heard a DEnver sports host say that Orton was good between the 20s and struggled in the red zone. That's exactly what he did last year.

IMO, I think EJ could have been just as productive as Orton and may have improved as the season went on. Again, him and Tannehill had the same exact start to the 2014 season. But who the hell knows? And that was the killer about last season. We don't know as more about EJ, one way or the other. We don't have either Orton or Marrone (awesome!), so what was really accomplished? 9-7 has no bearing on this season.

My philosophy is very consistent. You should the high draft pick young QB get every chance to win the job over the passed around journeyman vet. Cassel and Orton are who they are at this point. Good solid careers, but who aren't going to elevate your team. I hate Johnny Football, but the Browns shoudl give him every chance to win the job over McCown.

So I never hated Orton. I just hated what he represented. And that has been Bills footbal football for the last 15 years. We have been a joke at developing QBs.

Hate, love, it doesn't matter because he was all you were going to get. Bills fans can hold their breaths for a better QB but it's not like the team is holding out on us.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still WAY too early to know who will start at QB for Buffalo, but two Bills players specifically mentioned Tyrod Taylor by name on Tuesday: http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1551621-bills-players-rave-about-qb-tyrod-taylor

If Taylor is accurate, as Nigel Bradham mentioned, that'd put him ahead of Manuel and Cassel for me. Hope he's as good as Bradham and Jackson said at training camp.

You're right. It's still WAY too early. Go Bills

Accuracy is the key. I was listening to some national guys talk about Kaepernick this morning and how he was successful because teams feared his athleticism but he was not accurate at all and his pass attempts were always intentionally low...SF just schemed according to what he could do vs what he couldn't do. Once defenses figured him out they could take away his stengths and Kap wasn't able to compensate with his passing. IF Taylor can do both remotely well and not turn the ball over, he fits what Roman wants to do.

Accuracy is the key, and the guy is noted to be very inaccurate during games. What happens in practice is a different story, just ask Trent.

I can't help but feel that someone in the Bills FO seriously dislikes EJ, and dunno why.

If the Bills end up utilizing the running QB scheme "read option" then where does that leave Cassel?

I always liked Taylor. But accuracy is easy when you're not in imminent danger of being crushed by an opponent. Most of what I saw when he played was him running for his life. Russell Wilson is accurate while running for his life (which he wasn't on that last pass in the SB), if Taylor has that skill I'll jump off the EJ bandwagon. For right now though I think we haven't really seen what EJ is capable of. This is his pivotal year - he's going to have to show something early. IMHO.

Cut the bum, now!

Careful, all the EJ lovers will criticize you for calling EJ a BUM. In my experience they are a little testy when it comes to their precious 25 year old baby boy EJ who should not be tossed out with the bath water. IMO call him whatever you want!

Don't you think the title would be 'Bills Coaches Rave about Tyrod' instead of teammates if it was comments from Roman?

Point taken...but my point remains, Bradham isn't exactly a QB expert. I understand TT's your guy because he went to VT. That's cool. I'm not rooting against him. He's our guy too. But so are a couple other guys who might start at QB this year. I'm looking forward to getting up to Training Camp to see them perform. Hopefully, one of the three can separate himself from the field in a possitive way.

Nothing against NB but I'll wait till our wide receivers start raving about TT's accuracy before getting excited.

Early days. Very early.

Exactly. I would even be careful about which receivers I listen to re: a QB. It is quite possible MW was released because of his poor relationship with Orton. A WR may try to curry favor with a QB, but ultimately find he had misplaced his confidence. Young receivers may be more prone to such naïveté.

Exactly. I would even be careful about which receivers I listen to re: a QB. It is quite possible MW was released because of his poor relationship with Orton. A WR may try to curry favor with a QB, but ultimately find he had misplaced his confidence. Young receivers may be more prone to such naïveté.

MW was released because did not know the plays. The coaching staff actually liked MW quite a bit (believe it or not).

No matter who is named the starter this season I still don't have that much confidence anyone will do well considering the QB coach in David Lee. I think back to how badly Fitz looked after Lee had him work on his mechanics. Then looking how badly Geno Smith looked for most of last year. :sick:

Anyway, here is hoping that someone steps up and plays well this season even if its Matt Simms.

Careful, all the EJ lovers will criticize you for calling EJ a BUM. In my experience they are a little testy when it comes to their precious 25 year old baby boy EJ who should not be tossed out with the bath water. IMO call him whatever you want!

You have an agenda; one that others have taken issue with.

Many folks have rightly criticized EJ's play (I should know, as I'm one of them). The difference between someone with an agenda, as you (and Leroi for that matter) appear to be, and someone being objective, is that the latter tends to at least recognize that both sides of the coin exist.

Someone that comes in and says things like "EJ hasn't done a single thing to look like an NFL QB" (I'm paraphrasing), as both you and Leroi have done, is not being objective.

Edited by thebandit27

Point taken...but my point remains, Bradham isn't exactly a QB expert. I understand TT's your guy because he went to VT. That's cool. I'm not rooting against him. He's our guy too. But so are a couple other guys who might start at QB this year. I'm looking forward to getting up to Training Camp to see them perform. Hopefully, one of the three can separate himself from the field in a possitive way.

Oh, I agree. I won't be upset at all if any QB plays really well for us, though my hope is much more for EJ or Tyrod just due to age and also skillset for Roman.

You have an agenda; one that others have taken issue with.

Many folks have rightly criticized EJ's play (I should know, as I'm one of them). The difference between someone with an agenda, as you (and Leroi for that matter) appear to be, and someone being objective, is that the latter tends to at least recognize that both sides of the coin exist.

Someone that comes in and says things like "EJ hasn't done a single thing to look like an NFL QB" (I'm paraphrasing), as both you and Leroi have done, is not being objective.

Careful Bandit, you are coming across as very trollish.

Try to stick to the topic, Thanks Bud.

Imo

Imo

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but generally speaking good posters try to offer analysis, not mere pronouncements. You offer mere pronouncements. That not an effective way to argue, much less further a discussion in a productive way. If you want to convince people, offer some informed analysis instead of occasionally parachuting into threads with vague, one-line banalities about Manuel sucking.

Edited by dave mcbride

Imo

I find it funny that the guy that came into the thread about Tyrod Taylor to ask where all of the EJ-supporting teammates are, with zero mention of Taylor, is telling me to stick to the topic.

:lol:

And I suggest you read my posts next to yours and subsequently review what you believe "trollish" means.

Bud.

Where is all the praise for the much improved EJ.

Haven't heard a peep out from the players....

Imo

EJ is old news as far as the media is concerned...Taylor is the hot commodity right now (new young prospect). When the media is asking about Taylor, players are going to talk about Taylor. They also aren't going to say anything bad at this point in the season. The media only wants to report about Taylor, not Cassel or EJ.

Just because the media is focusing on one guy doesn't mean all of the players are picking their man. People are falling hook, line, and sinker for the hype...Not to mention it's just practice in shorts.

I'm not a big Taylor fan, or EJ fan, or Cassel fan. I think they all suck, but the overreaction to statements which mean virtually nothing is priceless.

Edited by Turbosrrgood