Bills' Organized Team Activities Week 2: June 1-4

that first question that carucci addresses is something I've been thinking about, the offense will go as far as the ____ will take them? QB or O-line? Vic says qb, and the person with the question says Oline. I think they each focus on a different issue.

The QB puts a ceiling on how good the O can be, and that's what Vic is thinking. While the qb establishes the ceiling, the O-line can prevent them from hitting that ceiling. The bills will at least get average quarterbacking from cassel. It's possible, one of Ej or tyrod gives them a higher ceiling, but it's unknown right now. So assuming Casel is the qb, the ceiling is set. Hitting that ceiling depends on establishing the running game, and that's on the o-line. We know what we'll get with Cassel, but we don't know what the O-line is capable of, that's why I agree with O-line as the answer.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then when is the ball strapped and not EJ? Unless they bolted the strap to EJ's spine. I've never seen a resistance test where they do it to the ball and tell the player to run.

Also, noticed that the trainer has a "Work Hard" tattoo on his right bicep. Pretty high res pic when you open it.

OK now I feel foolish.....

I didnt even realize that the strap was attached to the ball....geesh

The largest human I ever saw in person was Reuben Brown.

Saw him at a movie theatre on Main Street, downtown, probably around '89-90. He looked like he could eat everybody in the lobby and still be hungry.

Large human beings.

Reuben didn't get drafted by the Bills until 1995.

mark.gif Bills’ Hogan welcomes new challenge [1:47 AM]
Buffalo News reports: '“I don’t short-change his athletic talent or speed or any of that,” Lal said. “We have all these competitions when they do weight-lifting and Hogan always seems to be top three, if not one. He’s one of the best athletes on the team, so I think he gets short-changed perception-wise that way.'

“I see him as one of our best receivers, and nothing less than that. In terms of the route-running, he is one of the fastest to pick up all the small technique things we teach. And then no one works harder than him.”

Edited by ALF

that first question that carucci addresses is something I've been thinking about, the offense will go as far as the ____ will take them? QB or O-line? Vic says qb, and the person with the question says Oline. I think they each focus on a different issue.

The QB puts a ceiling on how good the O can be, and that's what Vic is thinking. While the qb establishes the ceiling, the O-line can prevent them from hitting that ceiling. The bills will at least get average quarterbacking from cassel. It's possible, one of Ej or tyrod gives them a higher ceiling, but it's unknown right now. So assuming Casel is the qb, the ceiling is set. Hitting that ceiling depends on establishing the running game, and that's on the o-line. We know what we'll get with Cassel, but we don't know what the O-line is capable of, that's why I agree with O-line as the answer.

Agree 100% the O-line makes or breaks the offense. It makes average QBs and RBs play like Pro Bowlers.

Agree 100% the O-line makes or breaks the offense. It makes average QBs and RBs play like Pro Bowlers.

I'd like to see an example illustrating that if you've got one.

Personally, I can think of several examples off the top of my head that point to the opposite being true

I'd like to see an example illustrating that if you've got one.

Personally, I can think of several examples off the top of my head that point to the opposite being true

I think the example you might be looking for is Matt Cassel. Took the Pats* to the playoffs, and made the pro bowl with the Chiefs, both behind a good O-line. But, as we've seen elsewhere, take away the good O-line, and he fell flat.

But, I think the question of QB vs O-line is a bit of hair splitting. Carucci answers the question, "Quarterback," but in his explanation, implies both. I think, at least in the Bills current situation, we are going to need both positions to step up, or it's going to be a frustrating season.

Edited by Rocky Landing

I think the example you might be looking for is Matt Cassel. Took the Pats* to the playoffs, and made the pro bowl with the Chiefs, both behind a good O-line. But, as we've seen elsewhere, take away the good O-line, and he fell flat.

But, I think the question of QB vs O-line is a bit of hair splitting. Carucci answers the question, "Quarterback," but in his explanation, implies both. I think, at least in the Bills current situation, we are going to need both positions to step up, or it's going to be a frustrating season.

Well, Cassel got the Pats* to 11-5, but not the playoffs (though the point does stand).

I guess my perspective is that it's far more often that the franchise QB makes the OL look better than the star-studded OL makes the average skill position players look better.

From 2014 alone you can look to teams like Indy, GB, Pittsburgh, Seattle, and Denver as examples.

Edited by thebandit27

Brady, first 4 games last year versus rest of season.

That was the 1st one I thought of as well.

I remember thinking back to the Bills game, and how badly our DL dominated in the 1st half (they even yanked Solder at one point).

Now, their OL did find some stability over the course of the year, but what I remember from that Bills game was the major adjustment at halftime , where NE went to 7 and 8-man protection schemes and Schwartz refused to blitz. Brady picked us apart.

Not saying that invalidates your example; just that there was much more to NE's offensive improvement than just the constant juggling of their OL.

There's a 3rd aspect that's not being discussed -coaches schemes. Our OL under Gaily was considered very good as Fitz was rarely sacked. Thing is, the ball left his hand in 2 seconds. Same personnel one year later under new coaching? 'They're terrible! They SUCK!'

Rodgers & Brady alike have had weak, injury-depleted lines in recent years. Get the ball out faster and no one notices..

There's a 3rd aspect that's not being discussed -coaches schemes. Our OL under Gaily was considered very good as Fitz was rarely sacked. Thing is, the ball left his hand in 2 seconds. Same personnel one year later under new coaching? 'They're terrible! They SUCK!'

Rodgers & Brady alike have had weak, injury-depleted lines in recent years. Get the ball out faster and no one notices..

If only: https://twitter.com/ChrisTrapasso/status/606817693816254464

The rub on Galey's O line schemes is everything was short....and eventually teams started taking that away forcing deeper throws.....which exposed us......

I dont think that having a "out in 2 seconds" offense is the answer......we need to biuld our line so that we can make deeper vertical throws as well....way too much speed on this offense to NOT do that.

Player: I'd like to not discuss this any further

Media: Let's discuss it

Player: No

Media: How about now, are you ready now?

Player: Nope, how about respect what I said?

Media: Let's discuss it

Player: You sons of bitches

Media: HEADLINE: PLAYER IS A DICK

Fans: OMG did you hear Player is a dick?!???!???!?

Haha

Did he get a key to the city? Cause....I think that is the only way the city can determine who the biggest star is.

Did Buffalo ever get it back from Thaat WR ?

Mario's age and weight at this stage , I would think has to be the DE in a 3-4

agreed. depending on the situation and Rex's mood.

But naturally he would be first up. Certainly not Hughes..

The article made it sound like Mario and Jerry would be OLB's while Nigel and Preston would be ILB's. Kyle and Marcel would obviously be on the D-line. So, who would be the 3rd D-liner? Manny?

a fat kid. Wilfork ? what he doin these days

Well what Pettine Did isn't necessarily what Rex will do. But Carrington was the Heavy 5-technique player before he got injured. That might be it for the base set.

Rex does like to play agressive with DBs though. If you're talking about having your best 11 people on the field I really think you show a lot of Nickel and Heavy Nickel. Because A. Williams can do both FS and SS, and Graham can do zone corner and FS, I really see this as the most effective lineup:

Hughes-Dareus-Kyle-Mario

Bradham-Brown

Gilmore- Aaron-Graham-mckelvin- Duke/Darby/Robey (situationally)

I was just thinking .. Hey didn't they just pick up someone. then I read your Post. Carrington can play ball and be moved around in this front. With Charles and Wynn(?)

As Rex brings up LBs and then DBs to threaten we could see all kinds of nutty stuff. look forward to unbalanced misdirection and the movement presnap.

Stunts should be a plenty from Hughes.

gee i just got a whiff of that koolaid and wow

Nice lineup btw

OMG common guys

Its a resistance drill running the football.....have you guys ever see or worked with SPARQ equipment?

do what?

lost me at "worked"

That was my first thought when comparing. Coaching can make them all look good. or at least competitive. and this is the heart of the matter.

and to John's point a Coach needs to be flexible. The game is about showing your hand. and not actually showing " your " hand. Teams scheme against tape right ?

The Coaching needs to create flexibility within the players toolshed.

Just like Kromer said. The dressed seven O line men need to move over when a man goes down. Its the nature of the NFL.

So Coach is throwing more at them than he hope he needs to call. Preparing for adversity. I am really excited about these guys.

I don't quite agree with that, Promo. What I would say is that a poor line can make even a Pro-bowl QB look bad (see Tom Brady first few games of 2014) and an average QB look awful.

An average line requires above- average talent from QB and RBs to succeed, while a good line will allow average QB and RB to look their best - they still won't look like pro-bowlers, but they'll do.

True, and not true. Our line was good in 2011, in part because Fitz was decisive, in part because there wasn't so much film on what Gailey was doing so it caught teams flat-footed. Something screwed up Fitz his next year, teams had more game film, and with the same line, they were more prepared and could bait Fitz into mistakes and take away the high percentage stuff. With Fitz unable to hit the longer stuff even at the previous year's low percentage, we spluttered.

Marrone's first year, it wasn't the same line. We lost Levitre in FA and tried to replace him with Doug Legursky (ugh) and Colin Brown (double ugh). But the line wasn't awful - something like 22nd overall, we were 14th for rushing in YPA (we were 2nd in the NFL for rushing yards, but only because we were 1st for #attempts so no cause for smiles there).

It wasn't until Marrone tried to replace 3 of the 5 linemen from 2012, including starting a RT at RG, sticking a rookie next to him, and putting a rookie on the other side of center at LG, that things really fell apart.

So yeah, does scheme and coaching make a difference, sure, but overall I got to say that the biggest difference is having enough bodies on the line who can really play their positions. A quality line can compensate somewhat for 1 guy who is learning his position, but not for 3 guys with the training wheels on.