FA LB Michael Buchanan visiting Bills - update: Signed

My opinion was similar to yours until the KC game last year :sick:

So one play. Yes, that's a reason to determine he's no good. You realize Rodgers throws a pick every now and then, right?

That's interesting... my impression of Lawson was formed in 2013, and it is of him being a teriffic edge-setter, and I can imagine many times when a run was bottled up inside, the RB tried to bounce it outside, or there was a quick flare pass to the flat to the RB, or a screen attempted to be run on a quick pass to a slot WR, and with the play in front of him, Lawson was able to skillfully disengage from his blocker and make a sound open field tackle. I think it was this skill alone that allowed him to see the field at all, last year, as a DE. He is about 245-250 I think, and if he weren't great at that, he would have been a major liability against the run.

I agree. Lawson in 2013 vs 2014 is apples and oranges. Pettine (and previously Rex, but we'll see) practically ran a 5-2. Subpackages make the base formation concept less hard and fast, but I have a feeling Lawson will be there to set the edge on 3rd and shorts.

So one play. Yes, that's a reason to determine he's no good. You realize Rodgers throws a pick every now and then, right?

Two plays, actually. And he made the same bonehead play on both of them.

How he looks in a Rex-style scheme again remains to be seen. I'm hoping (and somewhat expecting) that he'll turn it around. But those two plays tasted really bad and I don't think a scheme change is a good excuse for them.

Two plays, actually. And he made the same bonehead play on both of them.

How he looks in a Rex-style scheme again remains to be seen. I'm hoping (and somewhat expecting) that he'll turn it around. But those two plays tasted really bad and I don't think a scheme change is a good excuse for them.

I'd have to go back and watch the plays again, but I guess my only answer is that we don't know what he was told to focus on. I do recall him playing very well setting the edge in 2013. Hopefully Rex's scheme is where he fits.

My opinion was similar to yours until the KC game last year :sick:

He lost us that game hands down. I remember two distinct runs by Charles where he over committed to contain the outside, but simultaneously went upfield, leaving a gaping hole between the gurad and tackle. Later in the season, another team ran the same play against him in a similar point in the game. We lost...I'm not a huge fan anymore. Perhaps it was our old DC forcing into the role. Perhaps we will be better off with him in a 3-4 scheme, but I'm a little worried.

Actually, it was more than one play in more than one game. Although I agree that you can't measure everything based on a limited sample, you can begin to see emerging trends. You also have to account for coaching. It is quite possible the coaches were aware of this weakness and kept him from being exposed regularly. If this weakness is easy to see from a fan's vantage point, wouldn't the DC know about the issue?

He lost us that game hands down. I remember two distinct runs by Charles where he over committed to contain the outside, but simultaneously went upfield, leaving a gaping hole between the gurad and tackle. Later in the season, another team ran the same play against him in a similar point in the game. We lost...I'm not a huge fan anymore. Perhaps it was our old DC forcing into the role. Perhaps we will be better off with him in a 3-4 scheme, but I'm a little worried.

Actually, it was more than one play in more than one game. Although I agree that you can't measure everything based on a limited sample, you can begin to see emerging trends. You also have to account for coaching. It is quite possible the coaches were aware of this weakness and kept him from being exposed regularly. If this weakness is easy to see from a fan's vantage point, wouldn't the DC know about the issue?

Well, he did make two critical errors, both in the 4th. The first, the Charles TD, was actually a really good play call. They lined up in I-formation, we stacked the box, everyone on our D crashed the middle, meanwhile Charles delays just enough for Lawson to commit as Smith fakes a handoff motion then pitches it out left where Charles gets it and goes. We had no one back there to support, other than AW who may have overpursued, or otherwise was blocked and couldn't catch back up. Still think it's Manny's job to hold the edge in case of an outside move, but I do think the Chiefs deserve some credit for a good call and execution.

The second, the Smith TD, was surely his fault as he bit on the read option.

I still can't go with you that it was his fault we lost. Have we forgotten Bryce's fumble on a sure TD or Leo's punt return fumble not one drive later, setting up the game-winning TD for KC? Or how about when Leo returned the ball to their ~25 and we went for the endzone 4 plays in a row, despite having plenty of time? Really poor finish overall.

No one tears through the left side like Pat B!

Like a bull in a China Cabinet.

I am no opinion on Buchanan.

I do have an opinion on Manny. Very good football player.

But he is expendable. and i mean? very.

Really like the player. But. These young linebackers are getting smarter coming out of college.

Give him some reps and see what shakes out. So they gave up a punter , who will probably still be available when the season starts. big whup- de.

i am rooting for him. and Randeel Johnson and Kenny Ladler too.

Go Bills

When do the games start?

If you dont know already, i dont know what to tell ya Vincec.

:devil:

@viccarucci

The #Bills are looking for DE/LB Michael Buchanan to primarily be a backup to Jerry Hughes: http://bit.ly/1JmxUHV

If he could blossom into playing that role, that would fill a gigantic hole in the team's depth.

Right now, there's no solid 3rd pass rusher--and as recent teams like Seattle and the Giants have shown, pass rush depth goes a very long way toward winning in January.

Well, he did make two critical errors, both in the 4th. The first, the Charles TD, was actually a really good play call. They lined up in I-formation, we stacked the box, everyone on our D crashed the middle, meanwhile Charles delays just enough for Lawson to commit as Smith fakes a handoff motion then pitches it out left where Charles gets it and goes. We had no one back there to support, other than AW who may have overpursued, or otherwise was blocked and couldn't catch back up. Still think it's Manny's job to hold the edge in case of an outside move, but I do think the Chiefs deserve some credit for a good call and execution.

The second, the Smith TD, was surely his fault as he bit on the read option.

I still can't go with you that it was his fault we lost. Have we forgotten Bryce's fumble on a sure TD or Leo's punt return fumble not one drive later, setting up the game-winning TD for KC? Or how about when Leo returned the ball to their ~25 and we went for the endzone 4 plays in a row, despite having plenty of time? Really poor finish overall.

Your memory of the events is much clearer. My memories are kind of like the fog of a bad dream. "I know I'm mad at Lawson for a reason, but I can't remember them all!" I guess "lost the game" is a bit of hyperbole. IMO a defense has the responsibility to stop the other team from running it down their throat in crunch time (a la "43 is the Mike"). Good points re: offense/special teams. They certainly have a responsibility as well. I forgot how inept the coaching staff was on that drive from the 25. Although we know Bryce has a penchant for fumbling, I thought that particular turnover was just pure defensive excellence. I don't know that Fred wouldn't have lost that.

I wish I could remember who they lost to later in the year on a similar play to the KC read option.

Do you recall the other game where he missed contain on the read?

Your memory of the events is much clearer. My memories are kind of like the fog of a bad dream. "I know I'm mad at Lawson for a reason, but I can't remember them all!" I guess "lost the game" is a bit of hyperbole. IMO a defense has the responsibility to stop the other team from running it down their throat in crunch time (a la "43 is the Mike"). Good points re: offense/special teams. They certainly have a responsibility as well. I forgot how inept the coaching staff was on that drive from the 25. Although we know Bryce has a penchant for fumbling, I thought that particular turnover was just pure defensive excellence. I don't know that Fred wouldn't have lost that.

I wish I could remember who they lost to later in the year on a similar play to the KC read option.

Do you recall the other game where he missed contain on the read?

It was definitely a heads-up defensive play by Parker on the Brown fumble, but watching him run the way he did was dangerous. Brown had space in front of him, but seemed unconcerned with the surrounding defenders. He didn't secure the ball and it was an easy pop the way he was holding it. You can't really run with your arms swinging like that in those situations.

The other major situation I recall losing contain on a read option was against Miami that following Thursday, but that was actually Mario's fault.

It seems to me that we are actually getting little crowded at LB......am I off base on this?

I realize a lot these guys wont be here on the final cut.

ILB not so much. Bradham/Brown/Powell seems to be it. Or am I missing someone?

The Bills website has him listed as DE.

I think more sites should to move to the "new" terminology of labeling players as "Edge", "DL", or "DT". It just makes it easier to identify how a player fits into the roster groupings.

JMO

I think more sites should to move to the "new" terminology of labeling players as "Edge", "DL", or "DT". It just makes it easier to identify how a player fits into the roster groupings.

JMO

They also have Corey Graham listed as a safety.

steward and Tarpley, I think

Right, forgot about the rooks! So Steward is supposed to be at least good at ST's. Guess that makes ILB depth OK if he makes the team.

Edited by Big C

I

They just need him for practice since Hughes is too disruptive in practice...

lol :thumbsup:

JMO

Edge players. Mario, Hughes and Buchanan?

Lawson?

Meh.

Worth some talk, but i dont feel him anymore. He has a wingspan, he is smart but he just has not created much pressure. But with Rex he might turn his game up a notch.

Sure lets throw Manny in there too. thing is he can cover a bit too more than Mario and Hughes anyways ; )

Thanks John !

Meh.

Worth some talk, but i dont feel him anymore. He has a wingspan, he is smart but he just has not created much pressure. But with Rex he might turn his game up a notch.

Sure lets throw Manny in there too. thing is he can cover a bit too more than Mario and Hughes anyways ; )

Thanks John !

I just remember him under Pettine.....which should be a similar scheme to Rex.....

He was productive