5 reason Bills won McCoy-Alonso Trade

http://nysportsbiz.com/2015/03/03/5-reasons-bills-better-mccoy-alonso-trade/

In the last two seasons, Shady has totaled 2,926 rushing yards while averaging 4.6 yards per carry with 14 touchdowns. He’s also racked up 694 receiving yards and two touchdowns. That’s a total of 3,620 all-purpose yards or 1,800 a season, which this struggling Bills offense could certainly use.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The emperors new clothes. Seems to me that in a historic free agent year for pro bowl RBs on the open market at a time when RBs are historically undervalued, the Eagles picked up a top tier RB to replace the one they lost while also adding a pro bowl linebacker. Maybe someone can explain to me how giving up Kiko for shady is better than keeping Kiko and adding demarco a North South runner who wee need to set up 3rd and 1.

I think Kiko earned his reputation by being so aggressive, extreme for a rookie, and noticable compared to vets. Unfortunately, aggressive is not always better. I think our run defense really suffered when Kiko guessed wrong of found himself out of position for whatever reason. I really liked Kiko, but think his reputation was overblown by fans who watch the ball and gave him credit when they saw him blow up a play, but weren't sure what when wrong when there were big holes in the D.

The Schwartz disciplined D was stronger without the gambling.

Any time so much money is tied up in a single player I get a bit nervous, but there are not that many ways to land a super star. I LOVE what Mario brings to the team. I will feel a whole lot better about McCoy after one or two completed seasons when he has burned through a lot of the risk the team has taken on Day 1.

The emperors new clothes. Seems to me that in a historic free agent year for pro bowl RBs on the open market at a time when RBs are historically undervalued, the Eagles picked up a top tier RB to replace the one they lost while also adding a pro bowl linebacker. Maybe someone can explain to me how giving up Kiko for shady is better than keeping Kiko and adding demarco a North South runner who wee need to set up 3rd and 1.

I must have missed the year that Kiko made the probowl

Well to start, the first one was possible. . . .

I will see it when I believe it. Shady was paid a lot to like it here. I hope it pans out.

Why should it matter where a player plays? During the season it's football 24/7. Anyplace is great when you're winning. The franchise could be at the North Pole and it shouldn't matter. Spend the offseason wherever you want.

Kiko made the Pro Bowl? And Murray likely wouldn't have come here.

The last 2 points were the most pointed ones:

The Bills defense was pretty good in 2014 without Alonso. That’s not to say that it wouldn’t have been even better with number 50 on the field, but with the emergence of rookie Preston Brown and third-year pro Nigel Bradham, Buffalo’s linebacker corps took care of business. With one of the top defensive minds in the NFL as its new head coach, this defense may even improve upon last year’s performance. And now they’ve added Shady on the other side of the ball to put up points for this unit to protect.

Kiko Alonso is just coming off an ACL tear he suffered last off season. Plenty of players have injured their ACL’s and returned to have solid careers, but it’s never a sure thing. As much as Buffalo embraced the legend of Kiko, we’ll never know what it could have been. Instead, we will have to deal with an All-Pro running back who only once in his six year career has fallen short of reaching 1,000 all-purpose yards (rookie year: 945 APY).

A couple of things.....

Who cares what the eagles did to replace their running game? We are the bills not the eagles and trading for an asset and then seeing what they do for their own organization is pointless.......the BILLS got immediately better which is all that matters

Is Kiko a pro bowl linebacker? I must have missed it but I dont remember him making the pro bowl in his rookie season.......regardless of off season accolades like ALMOST winning rookie of the year he did in fact tear his ACL........which is in fact his second ACL injury (so now both acl's have been injured at some point) he did in fact miss his second season......and the Whaley did in fact draft Preston Brown who was a superb ILB in his second season.....the bills were top 5 without Kiko and that is how a good GM makes his team better.....he moves assets around to improve both sides of the ball...which he did superbly.

Also.......not only has Whaley done a great job in the drafting high but IMO he has done a superb job of finding LB's late.......watch out for some of our late round draftees start to make contributions as they showed well.

I have no doubt that Kiko would have made our D even better........but lets look at this real time.....is there a huge difference between being 3rd overall D/25 overall O when it can be 5th overall D/13 overall O (completely guestimates....but you get my drift....BALANCE between O and D without sacrificing one for the other in a noticable way)

This was absolutely the right move....and good luck to Kiko with the Eagles

Why should it matter where a player plays? During the season it's football 24/7. Anyplace is great when you're winning. The franchise could be at the North Pole and it shouldn't matter. Spend the offseason wherever you want.

It does matter though.

Missed the ProBowl and a lot of tackles the last eight games of his rookie year

He is too small for MLB. I would have loved to see him at OLB last year though.

Now see you and i have the same memories. He was gonna be good. But i don't really see it in our scheme

The Bills gave up a LB who is still on his rookie deal and was the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year, but is coming off an ACL injury. They gained a RB who has been playing at an elite level (albeit in a different offense) and gave him a huge deal (like an elite RB would be expected to get). To be a winner in this trade McCoy is going to have to translate to the Bills system and be as good as he has been the last couple of seasons.

It is difficult to see the Eagles as anything but winners in this trade. They replaced McCoy with Demarco Murray in free agency. Both RBs have been elite backs, both will be 27 going into the season, both got 5 year/$40M contracts and Murray's has $5M less guaranteed. They also got Kiko Alonso who is very promising and still very cheap.

Missed the ProBowl and a lot of tackles the last eight games of his rookie year

He is too small for MLB. I would have loved to see him at OLB last year though.

it's funny how Kiko was worshipped when he was a Bill, then suddenly, without even having played another game, he is overrated.

The Bills gave up a LB who is still on his rookie deal and was the 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year, but is coming off an ACL injury. They gained a RB who has been playing at an elite level (albeit in a different offense) and gave him a huge deal (like an elite RB would be expected to get). To be a winner in this trade McCoy is going to have to translate to the Bills system and be as good as he has been the last couple of seasons.

It is difficult to see the Eagles as anything but winners in this trade. They replaced McCoy with Demarco Murray in free agency. Both RBs have been elite backs, both will be 27 going into the season, both got 5 year/$40M contracts and Murray's has $5M less guaranteed. They also got Kiko Alonso who is very promising and still very cheap.

There is little doubt that the Eagles ended up fine regarding their RB position through FA......but that wasn't part of the trade. The trade was Kiko for McCoy, straight up.

The fact that the Eagles managed to find a replacement for McCoy(which they were very lucky to do after trying two other lesser FA RBs), or the concept that the Bills chose to give McCoy an extension are totally irrelevant to the trade.

A superstar RB who has some mileage on his legs and who supposedly didn't fit with Eagles system, for a potenial star LB who has some injury concerns and didn't fit with the Bills system. As the trade wasn't Kiko and Murray for McCoy, the Bills easily won the trade.

Edited by Dibs