Is the Flutie Curse over with?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In January 2000, then Buffalo Bills owner, Ralph Wilson, made the call to then Bills HC Wade Phillips to have Rob Johnson become the starting QB for the Bills in the playoffs after he saw Johnson play well in a meaningless game 16 for the Bills. Former starting Bills QB, Doug Flutie was told by Phillips that he was only being benched for game 16 so he was rested for the playoffs, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him and be benched in favor of Johnson, who made his career by coming off the bench and playing great for one game. That playoff game vs the Titans ended in a very controversial call by which Bills fans felt their team got robbed of a victory as it appeared that Titans TE Frank Wycheck threw an illegal forward pass on a kick return. That game was the last time the Bills have appeared in the playoffs. It’s been over 15 years since the Bills last playoff game and some fans have called the Bills long playoff drought the “Flutie Curse.” If you believe in sports superstitions, such as the “Curse of the Bambino” by which many Boston Red Sox fans believed since the Red Sox traded away Babe Ruth to the Yankees was the reason why the Red Sox had a 86 year drought between World Series championships, then Bills have to ask themselves this question, “Is the Flutie Curse over with now since the Bills have new owners?”

It's a powerful curse. We'll have to wait and see with this season.

The Bills trotted out Norwood during a home game in 2011, and that was the exact moment the season started falling apart

Ugh, why'd they do that?

In January 2000, then Buffalo Bills owner, Ralph Wilson, made the call to then Bills HC Wade Phillips to have Rob Johnson become the starting QB for the Bills in the playoffs after he saw Johnson play well in a meaningless game 16 for the Bills. Former starting Bills QB, Doug Flutie was told by Phillips that he was only being benched for game 16 so he was rested for the playoffs, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him and be benched in favor of Johnson, who made his career by coming off the bench and playing great for one game. That playoff game vs the Titans ended in a very controversial call by which Bills fans felt their team got robbed of a victory as it appeared that Titans TE Frank Wycheck threw an illegal forward pass on a kick return. That game was the last time the Bills have appeared in the playoffs. It’s been over 15 years since the Bills last playoff game and some fans have called the Bills long playoff drought the “Flutie Curse.” If you believe in sports superstitions, such as the “Curse of the Bambino” by which many Boston Red Sox fans believed since the Red Sox traded away Babe Ruth to the Yankees was the reason why the Red Sox had a 86 year drought between World Series championships, then Bills have to ask themselves this question, “Is the Flutie Curse over with now since the Bills have new owners?”

The "curse" never existed. Curses aren't real.

Bad ownership is very much a real thing however.

Luckily, that is over now.

I thought Rob Johnson played a good game. Actually, he had a pretty good start to his career. He had a high QB rating and the Bills scored a lot of points during his starts. Things started to fall apart the following season.

That is one the biggest myths out there. I think he passed for a whopping 62 yards before that final drive. Plus he got sacked numerous times & cost us a safety. Flutie plays in that game we win going away.

I'm more concerned with the curse of Leon Czolgosz.

Meh. McKinley was just a Republican A-hole like the rest of them.

No curse there to begin with!

Good one DC Tom, has Buffalo been cursed since 1901?

No.

TRBJ, you should probably put this in PPP ...

Guys, I didn't want to start another thread, because I know that it's getting on people's nerves. I doubt this is the right place to put this, but it's getting a lot of attention, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I got drunk last night. I mean really drunk. And I think I had Skype-sex with DC Tom. I mean, I know I did. But he keeps denying it. Just looking for some advice on how to handle this. I finally found someone who likes me "more than a friend," and now I think it's over already.

Any help would be appreciated.

You take that back Little Dog. You have 14 posts. You don't even have enough cred to utter the Great One's name. Doug has taken craps bigger than you! And his craps weren't that big. He was a small man. A small man, with big dreams. Number seven on the field, number one in my heart!

Bruh. Take it easy on the guy.

No such thing.. Just let the midget fall to the wayside. No reason to keep bringing up that completely over rated QB again and again

+ 1,000,000!!

If he was so special why didn't he win us the Miami playoff game one year earlier. He had the ball on the freaking 1 yard line and fumbled!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

It wasn't a Flutie Curse, it was a Ralph Curse, and yes, it is over.

Johnson played terribly overall in that game. Given the offensive line problems and Flutie's ability to escape pressure, the Bills were fools to start Johnson. The Bills made an average defense (statistically speaking, and one that was bad against the pass) look great. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/1999.htm

Flutie was a flawed player, but he was the last decent starting quarterback the Bills have had.

Edited by dave mcbride