Is the Flutie Curse over with?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob Johnson sucked in that game, the team was in a position to win despite him rather than because of him, and he spent the rest of his career proving that he was one of the biggest mistakes in Bills history. It's not like the guy had a few bad plays, he was straight up garbage.

But he played with one shoe!!! He ran 30 yards in one shoe! That was amazing!! One shoe!!!

You know who else can run 30 yards on grass with one shoe?

My six year old niece.

You're simply wrong. Scroll to the end. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199901020mia.htm .

Also, up until that point, only one defense had put up more yardage vs. Miami than the Bills (the Pats in November of that season).

Finally, QBs don't "win" games and they don't "lose" games. Moulds fumbled early in that game deep in Miami territory and it cost the Bills points; Andre Reed fumbled too in the 4th after a 17 yard completion in Bills territory. That fumble led to the Dolphins scoring a TD and taking a 24-14 lead. Reed also took an unsportsmanlike penalty that moved the Bills from 2nd and goal from the 1 to 2nd and goal from the 16 with two minutes to go.

The Bills defense gave up 345 yards to the Dolphins, their worst effort against them that season. The previous two times they played the Dolphins, they gave up 259 and 296 yards.

But keep ignoring context and blame Flutie, who averaged 10 yards per passing attempt against the best pass defense in the league.

Flutie was fantastic that game.

But he played with one shoe!!! He ran 30 yards in one shoe! That was amazing!! One shoe!!!

You know who else can run 30 yards on grass with one shoe?

My six year old niece.

Flutie was fantastic that game.

Flutie was fantastic in that game.

Well, except for the 3 fumbles (2 lost) and the pick he threw.

So, yes, Moulds lost a ball and Reed lost a ball, and those were bad.

But Flutie gave it away 3 times. That's more than Reed and Moulds combined.

He meant to do that, though. His turnovers actually put them in position to win at the end, but everyone else screwed it up. He had a great plan.

This is just shoddy argumentation. Really shoddy.

and yet it's true.

Flutie was fantastic in that game.

Well, except for the 3 fumbles (2 lost) and the pick he threw.

So, yes, Moulds lost a ball and Reed lost a ball, and those were bad.

But he was fantastic doing it.

With complete sincerity it warms my heart to know that almost 20 years later this debate is still hot and contested enough to reach multiple pages.

Cheers Bills fan community, you have made my day. :beer:

With complete sincerity it warms my heart to know that almost 20 years later this debate is still hot and contested enough to reach multiple pages.

Hahahaha..That's because it was the last time the Bills were relevant.

We could argue something more recent like Losman/Edwards if that's more your style.

We could argue something more recent like Losman/Edwards if that's more your style.

Not at all.

Flutie vs. RJ discussion brings back happy memories of arguing with my grandmother about the exact same thing.

The good old days of sports debate before you could pick a fight at any time about anything with a random internet person anywhere in the world.

Not at all.

Flutie vs. RJ discussion brings back happy memories of arguing with my grandmother about the exact same thing.

The good old days of sports debate before you could pick a fight at any time about anything with a random internet person anywhere in the world.

Yeah, but back then you had to show restraint, because the person you were arguing with had the ability to hurt you physically. For example,

1999: Well Gug, you make a good point, and I respect your opinion. But I have to disagree, and say that Doug Flutie was the superior quarterback, and would have more success in that game.

2015: Gugly, are you :censored:ing kidding me? You have to be the stupidest :censored: I've ever talked to! Anybody that doesn't like Doug Flutie (the greatest QB of all time) is an idiot! If I ever saw you in person, I would fist fight you and throw Beerball at you!! :censored: ing :censored: er!

Yeah, but back then you had to show restraint, because the person you were arguing with had the ability to hurt you physically. For example,

1999: Well Gug, you make a good point, and I respect your opinion. But I have to disagree, and say that Doug Flutie was the superior quarterback, and would have more success in that game.

2015: Gugly, are you :censored:ing kidding me? You have to be the stupidest :censored: I've ever talked to! Anybody that doesn't like Doug Flutie (the greatest QB of all time) is an idiot! If I ever saw you in person, I would fist fight you and throw Beerball at you!! :censored: ing :censored: er!

Excellent point, but I'd argue the restraint and keeping it civil is what made the old way superior in a lot of ways.

Or should I say... :censored: you TRBJ, 1999 sports debate was way better. Your :censored::censored: couldn't find a lick of sense even if it was sleeping directly on your face. :censored:

:thumbsup:

(oh, and by the way... Flutie sucked) :devil:

Edited by Metal Man