Is the Flutie Curse over with?

Flutie was 10th in yards and 10th in TD passes in 1999. I'd take that from any QB on the roster in 2015. And, of course, playoffs.

Best defense in the league. 14.3 points/game surrendered. Lowest passing yards against; lowest rushing yards against.

That's why we went to the playoffs.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best defense in the league. 14.3 points/game surrendered. Lowest passing yards against; lowest rushing yards against.

That's why we went to the playoffs.

Hogwash.

I guess it was by pure happenstance and luck that the Offense averaged 20 points per game?

Wilson is the one who benched Flutie and who the curse was against. There are new owners, no more curse. The Bills will be a wild card team and make it to the AFC Championship this year.

Thank you. Now we can get to a more current situation. Like Chan's decision to try that Wildcat play against ARZ.

You just be hatin'. So did you dislike Flutie back in the day, or is this a hindsight thing? Were you pro Johnson in the Music City Miracle Travesty?

always hated his I, I, me, me attitude. Grew to hate his play as soon as I figured out how limited he was.

I will now recuse myself from this thread with the full knowledge that I am right & you flutopians are not. I would consider telling you to get over it, but, since it's obvious that I haven't I will keep that to myself.

But Flutie USFL career was also less than stellar. So he excelled in the CFL and was average in two other professional football leagues. He might get in but certainly not for his NFL play. Also I also bring up the debate on RJ vs Flutie is how many games did Flutie have under his belt vs RJ? RJ had 1 NFL start in the NFL when we acquired him. Flutie had more than that and toss in USFL career and CFL career a whole lot more. So maybe RJ still needed time to develop on the NFL field. I mean people defend EJ and he's played 14 games thus far and we might still him get another chance which is a lot more than RJ had in retrospect.

rj had quite a bit more than 14 starts in the end, he also got credit for a flutie win btw when he got injured in the first series, went out, then flutie came in and walloped the colts. fluties last game for us was something like a 40pt whacking of the seahawks, where Rjs next season on his own lead us to a 3 win season. Rj was crap when he was in, injured more than goodwin, then cut from a sb winning team the next year, a year where he didnt play. that was his best contribution he made to that team.

Edited by enlightener

rj had quite a bit more than 14 starts in the end, he also got credit for a flutie win btw when he got injured in the first series, went out, then flutie came in and walloped the colts. fluties last game for us was something like a 40pt whacking of the seahawks, where Rjs next season on his own lead us to a 3 win season. Rj was crap when he was in, injured more than goodwin, then cut from a sb winning team the next year, a year where he didnt play. that was his best contribution he made to that team.

If you're trying to establish that Flutie may have been a better QB than Johnson, that's fine. Lots of very crappy QBs were better than Johnson.

If that is the game I think it was and IIRC, me and a boatload of Bills fans were there. It was a total microcosm of their careers. It was both RJ's and Flutie's first game ever as a Bill. RJ immediately sucked and got hurt. Flutie immediately came in and re-energized the team, didn't put up great stats but took over the game. The Bills should have won but missed a chip shot FG at the end. RJ started the next game and sucked. ;)

i was there

If you're trying to establish that Flutie may have been a better QB than Johnson, that's fine. Lots of very crappy QBs were better than Johnson.

no im establishing your excuse of 14 games, he had 3+ seasons as a starter and his idiot pocket presence lead him to miss games, when he did play, he still played like an idiot. Idiots dont become smart, ever.

RJ held the ball too long because he was indecisive. Flutie couldn't read a defense to save his life and planned on scrambling every time he got the ball.

A Super Bowl win will be the only time I celebrate more than the day that piece of crap left Orchard Park for the last time.

flutie dissected defense, he read a defense well, he just couldnt always see over the line and needed lanes, he used his feet to allow lanes and wrs to open up, he head faked, jump passed and threw as deep as RJ ever did with a little arm like he had. he beat new england, played tough, didnt get hurt, made things happen. he won grey cups and beat RJ head to head with touch passing and using his legs in SD, i was there. your celebrating that he left, left us with alex van pelt as the best qb on the roster the next year, RJ was cut quickly by his next team when they saw the real knob that he was, Flutie retired when he was ready, in the sun in SD, in the NFL, the league that got rid of him, then paid him millions to come back.

Edited by enlightener

The curse still exists until we make the play-offs and as uticaclub suggests the Bills should have him lead the charge to open the season this year. Rex is the kind of coach that would love that kind of move too.

Can we put him in one of those go-karts Shriners ride around in?

So we lose 4 Super Bowls... in a row... and we're still thinking this curse has something to do with Flutie?

Retroactive.

i was there

no im establishing your excuse of 14 games, he had 3+ seasons as a starter and his idiot pocket presence lead him to miss games, when he did play, he still played like an idiot. Idiots dont become smart, ever.

flutie dissected defense, he read a defense well, he just couldnt always see over the line and needed lanes, he used his feet to allow lanes and wrs to open up, he head faked, jump passed and threw as deep as RJ ever did with a little arm like he had. he beat new england, played tough, didnt get hurt, made things happen. he won grey cups and beat RJ head to head with touch passing and using his legs in SD, i was there. your celebrating that he left, left us with alex van pelt as the best qb on the roster the next year, RJ was cut quickly by his next team when they saw the real knob that he was, Flutie retired when he was ready, in the sun in SD, in the NFL, the league that got rid of him, then paid him millions to come back.

I called that Flutie jump fake the "pixie hop." You know how long it took for NFL defenses to stop buying it? About a week.

i was there

I never made a 14 game excuse. I never said RJ was a very good QB. And Flutie most certainly never dissected a goddamn thing after the frog in 7th grade - he sure as hell never dissected an NFL defense.

If there was ever a pathetic excuse for his sucktitude, it's the "couldn't see over the line," excuse.

If that was the case, then you make a great case for him not belonging in the NFL, thank you. I'm sure the 2 extra inches were the big difference makers for guys like Tarkenton and Brees, eh?

In the end yes, ie you're using hindsight to make your judgement. The game you maybe referencing would be the 1998 Indy game? That's all on Doug yet why doesn't Doug get the blame for not holding the lead against St Louis two weeks earlier? Yet at the time RJ had how many games under his belt when we finally benched him for good in 1998? I think it may have been 5 and of those 5 he was pretty well against Baltimore (with Jax), St. Louis and San Francisco. Toss in he was good against New Orleans and Indy in his next 2 games which lead to his start against Tennessee. I get why Flutopians feel that Doug would win us that game but look at Flutie's poor play in 1999 and there's still no guarantee we'd do any better. As to me you look back to Flutie's performance against Indy in the 1999 opener and RJ's last 5 starts that I just eluded to. People want to remember the 1998 Flutie but the 1999 version wasn't the same and a big reason the little man got benched against the Titans. And again in that playoff game had we not given up that TD in the end I think very few would have criticized RJ for his poor play since he pulled out some "magic" in the end to put us ahead in the end.

Umm....lauded means praised.

Ugh serves me right for trying to be flashy with words.

Edited by The Jokeman