Is the Flutie Curse over with?

In January 2000, then Buffalo Bills owner, Ralph Wilson, made the call to then Bills HC Wade Phillips to have Rob Johnson become the starting QB for the Bills in the playoffs after he saw Johnson play well in a meaningless game 16 for the Bills. Former starting Bills QB, Doug Flutie was told by Phillips that he was only being benched for game 16 so he was rested for the playoffs, only to have the rug pulled out from underneath him and be benched in favor of Johnson, who made his career by coming off the bench and playing great for one game. That playoff game vs the Titans ended in a very controversial call by which Bills fans felt their team got robbed of a victory as it appeared that Titans TE Frank Wycheck threw an illegal forward pass on a kick return. That game was the last time the Bills have appeared in the playoffs. It’s been over 15 years since the Bills last playoff game and some fans have called the Bills long playoff drought the “Flutie Curse.” If you believe in sports superstitions, such as the “Curse of the Bambino” by which many Boston Red Sox fans believed since the Red Sox traded away Babe Ruth to the Yankees was the reason why the Red Sox had a 86 year drought between World Series championships, then Bills have to ask themselves this question, “Is the Flutie Curse over with now since the Bills have new owners?”

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No such thing.. Just let the midget fall to the wayside. No reason to keep bringing up that completely over rated QB again and again

I know this is quick ... but ... I think I love you.

:worthy:

Yes, I think it is over. But I have to admit I've never really believes in a supernatural power inflicting punishment on the franchise and fans. I have always assigned the cause of our failings to more worldy things like our team culture, spending philosophies (especially on the coaching and front office), the competition and dumb luck.

All that said, this is a different team. I'm not saying we will definitely make it to the playoff. With so much new, we might struggle this year, especially early. But there is no continuity with our past decade + where we seemed to return to the same players and struggles year after year.

No such thing.. Just let the midget fall to the wayside. No reason to keep bringing up that completely over rated QB again and again

Hell yes! Flutie, in Buffalo, was a ****ty teammate, and grossly over rated. Like Mike Vick. I really thought this was the resurrection of the last "Is the Flutie curse over?" thread... :wallbash:

I say this on every curse-related thread, but may I repeat:

Curses are about as real as Harry Potter. There is no such thing. When you talk about curses, etc, you're basically acknowledging that you believe in magic. All this extraneous crap like what happened with Doug Flutie over a decade ago, or RWS being build on a burial ground, are totally irrelevant to the on-field results of this year's squad.

Have him Lead the Charge for home opener and then it will be over. Flutie may of have had his flaws, but the only thing I care about is winning and he was 22-9 as a starter, so if you don't Flutie, !@#$ YOU