Bills vets on the bubble

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if Rex is beholden to Hogan as St Doug was.

Hogan rightfully earned a spot, imo. He'll have a harder time this year, since we have Harvin.

Edited by Dorkington

It will be interesting to see if Rex is beholden to Hogan as St Doug was.

I think that is the most interesting battle to watch in terms of securing a roster spot (along with CB). Will the Bills keep the guy that is solid and does everything okay (Hogan) or the 2 guys that are limited but offer a unique skill set (Goodwin and Lewis)? It depends 100% on their philosophy. Either way, all of those guys will end up on NFL rosters this year (same goes for the corners).

I think that is the most interesting battle to watch in terms of securing a roster spot (along with CB). Will the Bills keep the guy that is solid and does everything okay (Hogan) or the 2 guys that are limited but offer a unique skill set (Goodwin and Lewis)? It depends 100% on their philosophy. Either way, all of those guys will end up on NFL rosters this year (same goes for the corners).

I agree. We're going to lose a few vets this year, and most if not all will find themselves a new home in the NFL.

Would anyone be surprised if Dixon didn't make the squad? I like him, but I wonder what Roman thought of him during their time together in San Francisco.

As for Hogan Vs Goodwin, I like Goodwins' upside better...but Hogan has slowly, but surely become a solid contributor. It seemed to me, last season, Marrone and/or Hackett was bent on giving him every opportunity they could to make an impact, and by and large, if he didn't impress, he didn't disappoint either.

Personally I like Goodwin. There are a lot of speed demons in the NFL, but not all of them can catch. I think MG has shown to have really good hands to go with his speed...he just needs more opportunity, and, of course, needs to stay healthy.

Edited by Buftex

Id rather have Goodwin over Hogan. Even if Goodwin is a one-trick pony, that's still better than Hogan being a no-trick pony.

Send Goodwin deep to take the top off the defense, then get the ball into the hands of McCoy/Watkins/Harvin/etc and let them do their thing.

Hogan would contribute more on ST coverage, but we've already picked up guys who could fill in that role.

it sounds like Rex is smitten with Goodwin. which is too bad because he will get injured the first time he gets tackled hard and then he will wish he kept Hogan instead

Why will he wish he kept Hogan? Good advice on local restaurants? Looks good in a Jacksonville helmet?

Goodwin has 100 times the talent that Hogan has. The role Hogan played last year can be absorbed by anyone with a pulse, but personally I'd prefer Sammy not be a decoy to set up Hogan, or anyone else, now that we have real coaches. I'm sure that Hogan works hard and maybe he will make the team, but I am pretty sure the game plan will no longer be centered around him.

Labeling Goodwin as "always injured" would normally be simply unfair for a guy two years in, but given Marrone was the coach last year who knows what was really going on? There were so many guys inactive or demoted for odd reasons how can you trust any story?

Why will he wish he kept Hogan? Good advice on local restaurants? Looks good in a Jacksonville helmet?

Goodwin has 100 times the talent that Hogan has. The role Hogan played last year can be absorbed by anyone with a pulse, but personally I'd prefer Sammy not be a decoy to set up Hogan, or anyone else, now that we have real coaches. I'm sure that Hogan works hard and maybe he will make the team, but I am pretty sure the game plan will no longer be centered around him.

Labeling Goodwin as "always injured" would normally be simply unfair for a guy two years in, but given Marrone was the coach last year who knows what was really going on? There were so many guys inactive or demoted for odd reasons how can you trust any story?

Mike Williams is a prime example of this. Sometimes I thought Marrone traded for him just so he could punish him for the SU days and make him sit every week.

i'm not a Goodwin fan. i think he is just a fast guy and he is susceptible to injury. Hogan is more of a sure thing and would be one heck of a slot receiver if he played the Edelman role like in NE.

i'm not a Goodwin fan. i think he is just a fast guy and he is susceptible to injury. Hogan is more of a sure thing and would be one heck of a slot receiver if he played the Edelman role like in NE.

Do you know where the Bills ranked in slot receiving yards last year (where Hogan played)?

Answer: 31st....I think that the point was that you could find pretty much any NFL caliber player that could produce the same if given the same opportunity. Would Dez Lewis or Caleb Holley be a significant drop off?

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Do you know where the Bills ranked in slot receiving yards last year (where Hogan played)?

Answer: 31st....I think that the point was that you could find pretty much any NFL caliber player that could produce the same if given the same opportunity. Would Dez Lewis or Caleb Holley be a significant drop off?

I don't think we utilized the position well and that accounts for a lot of that as well as not having an NFL caliber starting QB attributed to that as well. I think Hogan is raw but athletic and capable. I think Goodwin is fast and built like a JV football player. I'd take Hogan

Agree on the "susceptible to injury" part, but I think you underestimating his talents, when healthy. I like Hogan, but I also think he was given a lot more chances to succeed, under Marrone, than a lot of other guys were. Goodwin had some great moments in 2013, but, (and I don't think I am exaggerating) he didn't finish a single game that year, when he caught a pass. In 2014, perhaps with that in mind, it just seemed that Goodwin, healthy or not, just didn't get any chance to do much of anything...he wasn't the only one. It seemed like Marrone & co. just made their mind up about certain players (Goodwin and Spiller come most immediately to mind) and they just weren't going to waver on them...

To me, Hogan is kind of like Scott Chandler, minus 70 pounds. He is not the worst option, but you know you can do better.

Edited by Buftex