La'El Collins signs with the Cowboys

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He stated that he would not sign if a team drafted him after the 3rd round. Per the CBA, if he was drafted in 2015 and did not sign with his team he would be eligible to enter the 2016 NFL Draft, and the team that drafted him in 2015 would not be eligible to select him. Because he went undrafted he is not eligible for next year's draft, and thus he chose to sign with someone. It is also worth noting that because he was a UDFA, his contract is up a year earlier than if he was drafted, so if he performs well he will get a big contract a year sooner than if he was drafted in the later rounds.

All in all, it appears teams passed on him altogether due to some combination of lack of information about his situation and a fear of him possibly not signing and then losing the rights to him next year as well.

so... draft him in the third round. still good value.

you would get a bigger payday starting from day 1, and blocking for a top 3 back (McCoy). He's an idiot. If he's playing I hope K. Williams destroys him.

wonder if they would be opening to trading any of them. I wouldn't, but perhaps Doug Free want's to "be Free" to go elsewhere. The line is sick.

Why?

Edited by nucci

Until today, I was not one to question not drafting Collins with a seventh round pick.

In retrospect, it might have made sense -- even if he did not want to play in Buffalo -- to pick him. We could have traded him to the Cowboys (presumably for a lot more than a seventh round pick) if he had his heart set on playing for the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are going to have a great offensive line. At least, he did not go to the Dolphins or another AFC team.

so... draft him in the third round. still good value.

John,

NOBODY took this guy in the 3rd....or the 4th

Or the 5th

or the 6th

or the 7th

If we made the mistake of not taking the kid in the 3rd round....everyone made it.

Personally without the hindsite which we did not have....I would have taken John Miller as well......

I dont get how my post gets ridiculed. Yes you can have a difference of opinion but i thought it was a terrible move and i explained why i thought it was terrible.

I would love to have a serious convo about it vs the other side if you presented an argument with thoughts back but instead post counts matter and the theory that if 31 other teams didnt do it, must mean something.

I thought 100% at least buffalo fans would have learned that intelligent nfl management is few. Lets list....chan gailey, wandstedt, marrone situation...losman, edwards etc....jets bringing in tebow for a circus....aaron maybin...i could go on forever.

Its just like chip kellys offense wont work bc no one has done it before...all these genuises would have tried and then after 1 game..omg best offense ever etc...and ends up somewhere in the middle.

I believe i said buy back into the 7th round for a chance at 1st rd talent...it doesnt cost much...you still get oleary who wasnt a 7th to begin with.

What is the risk? Is the risk worse than incognito from a fan relations standpoint?

So if fan relations doesnt matter and cost is very low. What is the risk of going to get him in the 7th round? Seems like him not signing so worst case u lose a 7th rd pick and maybe 50k?

Contact issues can easily be dealt with..i use shady as an example bc the bills traded for him without the guarantee of him holding out since we learned he was unhappy at time of trade and he changed tune pretty quick.

So collins said he wants to hold out? Ok collons here is a contract for 2 million a yr for next 3 years....collins will grab that pen in a heartbeat and we may get a starting tackle at 2 mill.

The cowboys now may have a starting olineman for 1.6 over 3 years which is insane...allows them to spened money elsewhere etc

I dont get how my post gets ridiculed. Yes you can have a difference of opinion but i thought it was a terrible move and i explained why i thought it was terrible.

I would love to have a serious convo about it vs the other side if you presented an argument with thoughts back but instead post counts matter and the theory that if 31 other teams didnt do it, must mean something.

I thought 100% at least buffalo fans would have learned that intelligent nfl management is few. Lets list....chan gailey, wandstedt, marrone situation...losman, edwards etc....jets bringing in tebow for a circus....aaron maybin...i could go on forever.

Its just like chip kellys offense wont work bc no one has done it before...all these genuises would have tried and then after 1 game..omg best offense ever etc...and ends up somewhere in the middle.

I believe i said buy back into the 7th round for a chance at 1st rd talent...it doesnt cost much...you still get oleary who wasnt a 7th to begin with.

What is the risk? Is the risk worse than incognito from a fan relations standpoint?

So if fan relations doesnt matter and cost is very low. What is the risk of going to get him in the 7th round? Seems like him not signing so worst case u lose a 7th rd pick and maybe 50k?

Contact issues can easily be dealt with..i use shady as an example bc the bills traded for him without the guarantee of him holding out since we learned he was unhappy at time of trade and he changed tune pretty quick.

So collins said he wants to hold out? Ok collons here is a contract for 2 million a yr for next 3 years....collins will grab that pen in a heartbeat and we may get a starting tackle at 2 mill.

The cowboys now may have a starting olineman for 1.6 over 3 years which is insane...allows them to spened money elsewhere etc

So you are presuming to know what Collins was going to do.....and ignoring what we were all being told

Good luck with that

John,

NOBODY took this guy in the 3rd....or the 4th

Or the 5th

or the 6th

or the 7th

If we made the mistake of not taking the kid in the 3rd round....everyone made it.

Personally without the hindsite which we did not have....I would have taken John Miller as well......

I guess what I'm saying is that I do believe that the Bills, and the 31 other teams in the league made a mistake (although I do believe that there is a chance that Goodell told the teams that they couldn't draft the kid until the situation was resolved, to save himself a PR nightmare).

I understand the argument for Miller as safer, but even without the hindsight, I was still clamoring for us to take this guy, who has tremendous upside: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/177976-if-lael-collins-drops-do-bills-take-him/?p=3542081

With hindsight would you have drafted him?

I just get the feeling that this was a huge missed opportunity for us. We had the chance to get an immensely talented football player at a position of need.

The reason your posts get ridiculed is because they are factually incorrect and you are defending them like your first born. I'm not going to state what the situation was for the 250th time in this thread. If you cared to educate yourself on the subject you would have done it already. Everything you need to know is in this thread, and no you don't have to read every post to figure it out.

The reason your posts get ridiculed is because they are factually incorrect and you are defending them like your first born. I'm not going to state what the situation was for the 250th time in this thread. If you cared to educate yourself on the subject you would have done it already. Everything you need to know is in this thread, and no you don't have to read every post to figure it out.

Not to mention that he seems like a dingus.

Edited by johnwalter

Disappointing, but we shouldnt get too hung up about it because he probably shouldve been drafted in the first round, and so we wouldnt have gotten him anyway without all those rumors of his potential involvement in a murder. And anyway, I'm not too worried. It could turn out that he is guilty, and I dont want my team to be the one with pie in its face when that happens. To be clear: I dont think he's guilty, but murder investigations are often complicated, and honestly its just as safe to not have taken a risk.

On a side note: Dallas seems to be taking in a lot of semi-shady characters recently. With Hardy being suspended for 10 games and all...

Edited by Uffalo Ills

Dallas had one of the best OLs, and now they add Collins :cry:

The Cowboys had the top rated O line in the league last year. They were smart enough to add insurance to an already great line. I doubt Collins starts this year, and could work his way into a starting job by playing special teams.

I hate Dallas. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate Dallas. Is it jealously? Maybe. Partly. It's also a cultural hate. Arrogant pretty boy hate. Smug, cocky, entitlement hate. Regardless of the reasons, the simple fact remains that I HATE Dallas.

I'm glad he's not swimming in the fish-bowl.

Hope Rex gets a refund on dinner.

I'm sure he had coupon. Free appy's after 10.

wasn't aware of that, I do have other things to do than be caught up in every little detail of Lives of the NFL.

You really should surrender your life. :nana:

Wonder if he just preferred to stay in the southern climate.

He can now go to hell for all I care.

This is a terrible terrible move by the Bills Management.

Obviously they had great interest in Collins and we all know OL is a huge need that we only filled with Incognito. So you can't spend a 7th round pick to get him? or buy into the last 4 picks of the 7th round. Pegula isnt cheap and takes risks, i.e Incognito, so buying the 3rd last pick in the draft to get Collins wasn't thought of?

#1 Its poor publicity that your coach runs down to Baton Rouge 3 days after the draft to woo this guy and lose him. So fanbase knows you were interested in a guy that you could have full control of and for cheap 3 days earlier, but choose to get in a free for all with teams that have an advantage over you. i.e locations, coaches familiar with hiim etc.

I dont care if Collins said he wouldn't play for a year if drafted after 3rd round. you take the kid with a 7th and give up 50,000 dollars and call his bluff. Also all he got was 3 years for 1.6 million. I'm sure Bills would be ok paying your starting tackle 1.6 over 3 years.

we overpaid an average to slightly above avg TE/FB but couldn't risk 50K on a guy that could be our starting tackle at 1.6 for 3 years?

It all comes down to risk/reward. The cost curve on this kid was sooo low that you would be an idiot to not spend a 7th on him. considering how many 7th round picks get cut, the cost curve is low. The bills dont care from a fan relations perspective or else they wouldn't sign Incognito if were very tight on that policy etc. Harvin had team issues etc. I understand Collins issues are bigger but again for a 7th round pick cost, its nothing

Terrible job by the Bills. It's also a terrible job by every other suitor including Dolphins

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. But, yes.....