Deflate-gate investigation complete

Have you kept up on this story at all?

Gooddell had next to zero involvement. It was the on-field crews that started checking pressures when the Colts complained.

Even now, Gooddell is not handling the discipline side of it, and would likely recuse himself if (and when) the discipline is appealed.

The fact of the matter is that many close to the situation don't believe Gooddell would be harsh enough on Kraft, given their relationship.

troy vincent doesn't go to the bathroom without rogers permission.....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard Troy Vincent is only handling non-player discipline. Goodell is handling Brady. Could be as early as today or as late as early next week.

Can't find a link on this but they just laid it all out on WGR. I don't know where they were reading from.

I would think they would want to drop it down today and allow the weekend to simmer things down a bit. Early in the week just gives a ton of over the top fuel and drama to talking heads and water coolers

I think we will see, based on punishment. If Brady's fined and sits a game- probably not. If he's hit with a year off- hello judge berrigan

I think he will be suspended between 1-2 games. Goodell established some severe punishment baselines with Cleveland and Atlanta regarding competitive issues, which this deflate issue falls under. In those cases the issue wasn't how the transgressions impacted the game, because they didn't. The issue came down to breaking rules and the spirit of the rules that deal with the game on the field.

troy vincent doesn't go to the bathroom without rogers permission.....

That's debatable at best. Regardless, that somehow validates your assertion that this was a Gooddell-initiated sting operation?

I would think they would want to drop it down today and allow the weekend to simmer things down a bit. Early in the week just gives a ton of over the top fuel and drama to talking heads and water coolers

I think you're looking at 2 weeks to the day...drop the punishment on the 22nd, and have a 3-day weekend to let things simmer down.

I think he will be suspended between 1-2 games. Goodell established some severe punishment baselines with Cleveland and Atlanta regarding competitive issues, which this deflate issue falls under. In those cases the issue wasn't how the transgressions impacted the game, because they didn't. The issue came down to breaking rules and the spirit of the rules that deal with the game on the field.

I think 1-2 is close but those teams cooperated, Brady did not and lied. I can see 4 games. 2 for the rules being broken and 2 for lying and not cooperating.

I think you're on target with regard to the organization's penalty. For Brady, I think it's more like 3-4 games, because of the blatant lying and refusal to fully cooperate.

Polian is on mike and Mike really thinking the NFL will come down hard. He said wells is very critical of Pats attorneys for not allowing another intervuew with McNally and Brady's limited cooperation. He said they have an obligation to cooperate based on some rule that was created in 2008.

apparently this is what they are referring to on WGR

@garymyersNYDN: The next move in DeflateGate belongs to Goodell. What will he do about Brady? Then it will be Brady's turn. http://t.co/IHgdmKoBKn

Troy Vincent, the leagues vice president of football operations, will handle discipline given to the Patriots and their non-player staff. Bradys fate will be decided by Roger Goodell, which is his responsibility as outlined in the CBA in the section about player discipline. After dealing with creeps like Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy, the last player Goodell ever thought hed have to suspend was Brady.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Given the punishments meted out in the past, I think the NFL will go with a 4 game suspension.

I think, in the context of past suspensions, it would be hard for the NFL to justify less.

A sting operation would probably be much more thorough than this mess.

If the idea was to catch NE cheating, then why not test the balls at game time and record the pressures? Easy enough.

They didn't. They waited until someone from the Colts complained during the game, and then they tested them.

The Bandit makes sense.

Even if it had been a sting operation, the fact remains that Brady and the Pats were caught cheating. The NFL didn't persuade them to cheat. They did it of their own volition and deserve punishment. Any talk of a sting operation is a foolish distraction perpetuated by Pats lovers.

That's what I think too. I was actually surprised the original report didn't come out on a Friday. As for Brady's* punishment I would be surprised if it were more than 1 game, if that. They won't want to affect a divisional game (i.e. vs Bills) and I'm sure they don't want him to be missing from the special Thursday season opener but they might do it just to save face.

What are you talking about? The Colts informed the NFL prior to the Colts-Patriots game. Are you implying they were preemptively sore losing?

maybe grigson was? he was with the rams super bowl squad that lost to them. he has every right to turn them in, but that miiiiiiight have made him a tiny bit more eager. who knows....

I think you're on target with regard to the organization's penalty. For Brady, I think it's more like 3-4 games, because of the blatant lying and refusal to fully cooperate.

We'll see. I expect an early league office ruling regarding punishment. I'm sticking with my 1-2 game prediction.

Then next I'm predicting the Pats to win the SB with an insanely motivated qb determined to raise the SB trophy over his head as a sympbolic FU gesture to the doubters and haters.

We'll see. I expect an early league office ruling regarding punishment. I'm sticking with my 1-2 game prediction.

Then next I'm predicting the Pats to win the SB with an insanely motivated qb determined to raise the SB trophy over his head as a sympbolic FU gesture to the doubters and haters.

i am praying it is either 2+ or 0. The last thing i want is a pissed off, extra motivated Brady coming in here after being suspended for the opener and likely facing an 0-2 start. That would be the Bills luck in the past, let's hope our fortunes have turned.

too busy to meet the president

too busy to read a document that claims to incriminate him, his team, and tarnish his legacy

Not too busy to go wine and dine at a horse race all day Saturday

He was busy wining and dining at a horse race all day. How could he possibly fit those other things in?

Turning a critical eye on Wells report

the Wells report concluded that the average rate of drop in 11 Patriots footballs was significantly more than the average rate of drop in four Colts footballs.

Why 11 to four? Because officials measured only four Colts footballs, as they were running out of time before the second half began. This simply isn't fair to take a larger sample size and compare it to a smaller sample size. For example, I could just as easily pick the initial four Patriots PSI measurements (a drop from 12.5 to 11.80, 11.20, 11.50 and 11.00 from alternate official Dyrol Prioleau), match them up with the four Colts measurements (a drop from an estimated 13.0/13.1 to 12.35, 12.30, 12.95 and 12.15 from Prioleau), and come to a different conclusion that the drop rates of PSI between the two teams were close.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4781236/turning-a-critical-eye-on-wells-report

conclusion: a BOTCHED sting operation

btw: i believe 100% that brady is guilty

Ah good old Mike Reiss and the reason Tim Graham ran away from this place with his tail tucked in.

Reiss is correct that using 4 balls as the sample to correlate to 11 balls may lead to statistical anomalies. So he should have stopped there. But since he insisted on putting out the statistics (and I'm guessing he hand picked the 4 Pats* balls that were the closest to regulation), the numbers are still way off the Colts' norm. The average deflation of Colts 4 balls was just over 5%, while Pats* were at over 9%. That's not minor. Plus, if we use 13.0 as the starting point for Colts' balls, then the average deflation falls to 4.3%. What's more interesting is that the standard deviation of all three deflation calculations is pegged at 35%, which further suggests that everything was equal for the game balls, other than "somehow" the Pats* balls deflated at a rate twice as fast as Colts balls.

Nice job, Reiss.

@ProFootballTalk: Stephen Gostkowski refused to fully cooperate with the investigation, too http://t.co/ASoHa7xh1Y

I ultimately think them not cooperating with the investigation is what the NFL will focus on when handing out the punishment, and it will be severe. The must know, as we all do, that Brady directed those guys to do this, and that they have likely been doing it for quite a while. Unfortunately, they cannot 'prove' that, and even with all the circumstantial evidence, the apologists will have an out.

The fact that they were uncooperative is clear cut, and as the article indicates, is unprecedented when compared to recent investigations. This violation is clear cut, and if they do not come down hard on it, it sets a very bad precedent going forward.