Deflate-gate investigation complete

The most interesting part to me is in the Colts letter, where they say that it's common knowledge that the Pats deflate the balls. Basically that means that NOBODY CARED (or they were also doing it). The only reason the Colts complained is because they were sore losers. So, once the league gets the letter, it's "measure the goalie pads"..."measure the pine tar"...."check the gloves for stickum".

I'm trying to decide whether you're a hammer, screwdriver, or pair of pliers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was right on most things, but saying deflating balls isn't much more than a 'placebo' advantage is just wrong imo. I think underinflated balls are a pretty significant advantage, especially over a long period.

Ironically, I think the affect on fumbling might actually be greater than the effect on throwing the ball.

Ironically, I think the affect on fumbling might actually be greater than the effect on throwing the ball.

Seriously, for them to go 41-0 at home against the AFC WHILE barely ever fumbling (statistically impossible fumbling rate) is in my mind, a clear sign that they were doctoring their balls for years. And it's one thing among many I'm sure they do, especially at home. Also, Spygate was very likely much much worse than the public ever knew. I'm convinced they have been running some sort of system more complex than simply 'taping' opponents. Spygate: The Untold Story is really the only example of a journalist actually digging into what they did. Everyone else just stopped after Goodell inexplicably destroyed the tapes and handed out punishment. I truly feel what they did was so bad it could have possibly done irreparable damage to the league, a true cheating scandal, and Goodell did what he had to do to save it.

Interesting that other players (not even AFC) think this way...

@MikeGarafolo: Patrick Peterson with one of the stronger takes we've seen from a player, says Tom Brady "disrespected the game." http://t.co/LeOLdqxgyC

@ProFootballTalk: Tom Brady says he needed more advance notice for White House trip (though the rest of the team was flexible enough) http://t.co/FW83AetukV

Turning a critical eye on Wells report

the Wells report concluded that the average rate of drop in 11 Patriots footballs was significantly more than the average rate of drop in four Colts footballs.

Why 11 to four? Because officials measured only four Colts footballs, as they were running out of time before the second half began. This simply isn't fair to take a larger sample size and compare it to a smaller sample size. For example, I could just as easily pick the initial four Patriots PSI measurements (a drop from 12.5 to 11.80, 11.20, 11.50 and 11.00 from alternate official Dyrol Prioleau), match them up with the four Colts measurements (a drop from an estimated 13.0/13.1 to 12.35, 12.30, 12.95 and 12.15 from Prioleau), and come to a different conclusion that the drop rates of PSI between the two teams were close.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4781236/turning-a-critical-eye-on-wells-report

conclusion: a BOTCHED sting operation

btw: i believe 100% that brady is guilty

Edited by papazoid

What are you talking about? The Colts informed the NFL prior to the Colts-Patriots game. Are you implying they were preemptively sore losing?

Please don't try to confuse him with facts. He has an agenda and will not be sidetracked.

the Wells report concluded that the average rate of drop in 11 Patriots footballs was significantly more than the average rate of drop in four Colts footballs.

Why 11 to four? Because officials measured only four Colts footballs, as they were running out of time before the second half began. This simply isn't fair to take a larger sample size and compare it to a smaller sample size. For example, I could just as easily pick the initial four Patriots PSI measurements (a drop from 12.5 to 11.80, 11.20, 11.50 and 11.00 from alternate official Dyrol Prioleau), match them up with the four Colts measurements (a drop from an estimated 13.0/13.1 to 12.35, 12.30, 12.95 and 12.15 from Prioleau), and come to a different conclusion that the drop rates of PSI between the two teams were close.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4781236/turning-a-critical-eye-on-wells-report

The NFL just can't seem to do anything right honestly. If you know Brady and the Pats are up to no good and want to do a sting, do it right you dummies so there are no questions about the legitimacy of the investigation.

BREAKING: Richie Incognito says the Ted Wells report on the Dolphins was a botched sting operation.

BREAKING: Ted Wells is convinced brady is guilty.....he just can't prove it.

Ted wells proved Richie is a piece of chit for a human being......but hey, he's a bill now, so lets all turn away.

BREAKING: Ted Wells is convinced brady is guilty.....he just can't prove it.

Ted wells proved Richie is a piece of chit for a human being......but hey, he's a bill now, so lets all turn away.

its a joke! Sheeeeeeesh

I'm sorry but this is where this whole article falls down:

"Thus, I came away from parts of the report questioning whether this was more about serving a pro-NFL agenda than getting to the truth"

What agenda could the NFL possibly have against Tom Brady and the Patriots**? I just don't get that argument. And this guy is the Patriots** beat reporter for ESPN.

The NFL just can't seem to do anything right honestly. If you know Brady and the Pats are up to no good and want to do a sting, do it right you dummies so there are no questions about the legitimacy of the investigation.

the league should have known QB's getting the balls they way they like em was a common practice and sent a cease and desist order to ALL 32 teams......not set up a sting operation to catch and embarrass one club. a sting operation which they botched from the moment Indy officially complained.

I'm sorry but this is where this whole article falls down:

"Thus, I came away from parts of the report questioning whether this was more about serving a pro-NFL agenda than getting to the truth"

What agenda could the NFL possibly have against Tom Brady and the Patriots**? I just don't get that argument. And this guy is the Patriots** beat reporter for ESPN.

Yeah. I was surprised the NFL didn't intentionally entrap a top team and top player and taint its multi-billion dollar event on the heels of a nightmare PR season sooner.

the league should have known QB's getting the balls they way they like em was a common practice and sent a cease and desist order to ALL 32 teams......not set up a sting operation to catch and embarrass one club. a sting operation which they botched from the moment Indy officially complained.

A sting operation would probably be much more thorough than this mess.

If the idea was to catch NE cheating, then why not test the balls at game time and record the pressures? Easy enough.

They didn't. They waited until someone from the Colts complained during the game, and then they tested them.

I disagree here. Whatever common practices teams engage in, the Pats seem to always take it further. They are habitual cheaters who rationalize what they're doing by claiming everyone does it. Not true. I think catching them in the act was the correct move. If, like the Colts GM claims, that it was 'common knowledge' then there is a good chance clubs have already been warned. The NFL is probably tired of the Pats always pushing/breaking the rules and being on the edge of scandal constantly. Warning them in advance for something that stats seem to show they have been doing since 2007 would show much more of an agenda than by trying to catch them in the act.

from the commissioners stand point...this is much more egregious than not imposing a stiff enough penalty for a player violating the conduct policy.

this is the commissioner willfully and deliberately setting a trap to embarrass and discredit an owner.. a trap which now is clearly a botched sting operation...and not just any owner.....but one of the most powerful owners, who had your back in previous tough times. if i'm any other owner, i no longer trust or have confidence in roger goodell.

Also can this guy do math? The four NE** that he selected average drop rate was 1.12 PSI, the four from Indy average drop was .56 PSI, how are those 2 numbers close? Wow.

from the commissioners stand point...this is much more egregious than not imposing a stiff enough penalty for a player violating the conduct policy.

this is the commissioner willfully and deliberately setting a trap to embarrass and discredit an owner.. a trap which now is clearly a botched sting operation...and not just any owner.....but one of the most powerful owners, who had your back in previous tough times. if i'm any other owner, i no longer trust or have confidence in roger goodell.

Have you kept up on this story at all?

Gooddell had next to zero involvement. It was the on-field crews that started checking pressures when the Colts complained.

Even now, Gooddell is not handling the discipline side of it, and would likely recuse himself if (and when) the discipline is appealed.

The fact of the matter is that many close to the situation don't believe Gooddell would be harsh enough on Kraft, given their relationship.

Just heard Troy Vincent is only handling non-player discipline. Goodell is handling Brady. Could be as early as today or as late as early next week.

Can't find a link on this but they just laid it all out on WGR. I don't know where they were reading from.