Kiper Jr. - 'Bills draft was the WORST of all 32 teams.'

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't a very impressive draft by the Bills

I don't like the Darby pick at all but at least he won't be forced into starting his rookie year like McKelvin and Gilmore were

Nothing wrong with a C-.

We didn't have a first and the even though Darby, Miller and O'Leary will see the field, they won't be hugh difference makers in 2015, given the talent already on the roster. Still satisfied with the draft and now let's sign a few more vets and move on to SJF...

Edited by Lurker

Definitely the most underwhelming draft since that last time they didn't have a R1 pick--2005. That said, grades are meaningless until at least two years after each draft.

I don't mind when talking heads say stupid things to generate clicks and ratings. That's how they get paid.

I do mind when they try to pass themselves off as "experts" when they are anything but.

Let us not forget when this haircut thought Jamarcus Russell was the next John Elway.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/05/jamarcus-russell-reminded-mel-kiper-jr-of-john-elway/1#.VUa57Ib3bCQ

He also said we could have gotten Mike Evans staying at 9 last year.

Ridiculous calling Darby a reach. There's a handful of blue chip guys in every class, then a large group that could go anywhere from 1st to the 3rd depending on team needs and teams boards. Darby is squarely in that group. Just because Kiper thinks he belongs in the 60s and he goes 50 doesn't make it a reach.

He gave seattle a D the year they took bruce Irvin and russell Wilson and the Bills an A when they took Maybin. I know he studies these guys in college for a living, but his ability to project to their NFL success/ scheme fit /understanding of teams roster forecasting is questionable at best.

"I gave the Bills a hard time in the draft grades last year because I thought they paid far too steep a price to move up for Sammy Watkins, given how many good WRs were in that draft. Watkins is going to be just fine, but Mike Evans and Odell Beckham, Jr. could have both been taken without moving up, and that move up now factors into the grade this year, when the Bills didn't have a first-rounder and simply couldn't add the same amount of talent as other teams. I thought Ronald Darby was a reach in Round 2 at No. 50. There's a lot of natural ability with him, but I didn't have CB as nearly the biggest need, and I don't think he was the best player available, either. I'm a lot higher on the third-round selection of John Miller, a physical force in the run game, which they need to succeed to take some pressure off whoever is taking the QB snaps. (There's some buzz that Tyrod Taylor could be really pushing for that role, by the way.) Karlos Williams provides some depth at running back, but I'm not sure how much they needed it, and I might have looked at one of a number of values to be had at linebacker in that range. That said, if Rex said he needed it on defense, my guess is they would have made the move. Nick O'Leary can stick because the competes like heck and can catch the ball. I also think Buffalo got one of the bigger steals in the draft in Dez Lewis, a big-bodied speedster out of Central Arkansas who doesn't look the least bit out of place from a physical and workout standpoint next to the first-round types. The Bills didn't need an amazing draft, thanks to good roster-building outside of QB. That's a good thing."

-Kiper

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Different story, but same page, so...

Darby was also involved in a hit-and-run accident last year when he and teammate P.J. Williams, the driver of the vehicle, fled the scene before returning 20 minutes later.

"Involved?" He was a passenger when somebody else !@#$ed up. How the hell is that a character issue? :lol:

He gave seattle a D the year they took bruce Irvin and russell Wilson and the Bills an A when they took Maybin. I know he studies these guys in college for a living, but his ability to project to their NFL success/ scheme fit /understanding of teams roster forecasting is questionable at best.

Yep...spot on.

I gave the Bills a hard time in the draft grades last year because I thought they paid far too steep a price to move up for Sammy Watkins, given how many good WRs were in that draft. Watkins is going to be just fine, but Mike Evans and Odell Beckham, Jr. could have both been taken without moving up, and that move up now factors into the grade this year, when the Bills didn't have a first-rounder and simply couldn't add the same amount of talent as other teams. I thought Ronald Darby was a reach in Round 2 at No. 50. There's a lot of natural ability with him, but I didn't have CB as nearly the biggest need, and I don't think he was the best player available, either. I'm a lot higher on the third-round selection of John Miller, a physical force in the run game, which they need to succeed to take some pressure off whoever is taking the QB snaps. (There's some buzz that Tyrod Taylor could be really pushing for that role, by the way.) Karlos Williams provides some depth at running back, but I'm not sure how much they needed it, and I might have looked at one of a number of values to be had at linebacker in that range. That said, if Rex said he needed it on defense, my guess is they would have made the move. Nick O'Leary can stick because the competes like heck and can catch the ball. I also think Buffalo got one of the bigger steals in the draft in Dez Lewis, a big-bodied speedster out of Central Arkansas who doesn't look the least bit out of place from a physical and workout standpoint next to the first-round types. The Bills didn't need an amazing draft, thanks to good roster-building outside of QB. That's a good thing.

Evans went to Tampa at 7