Who should they have drafted at pick 50

I thought Cann was going to be the pick. Interesting that he lasted 17 pics after us though.. suggests the NFL consensus was that he was not worth a 2nd round pick. I get that people don't like the pick of another corner. I don't love it either but it seems like they are clearly going with their board.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the Fisher love. He's soft. He gets abused. He's from a zone scheme.

I love that we drafted a guard and aren't shifting a tackle in there. This Miller appears to be the perfect counter to the DTs we'll see in our division.

If Richardson doesn't figure it out and Williams....shoot...forget Williams...this Miller is the LG.

Glenn--Miller--Wood--Bully--Henderson

Depth:

Richardson

Williams

Urbik

Kwanjo

And that depth chart tells us another tackle is coming.

Edited by Big Blitz

Whaley's BPA strategy undervalues interior offensive linemen. Every year he rates guards lower than the rest of the league and as a result they pass on quality interior depth.

He didn't really pick BPA. He came out and said he compared his BPA to his BPA at positions of need, and took Darby because the grade differential was so wide. And then in the third round he picked BPA at position of need over BPA.

I hate the best player available strategy. That assumes everyone knows who the best player is. They don't. It's an educated guess at best. I believe in the first 3 rounds you draft players at position of need you think capable of making it in the NFL and contributing right away. In the last 4 rounds you reach for some guys with ceilings who might grow into better players. Whenever possible trade down and accumulate more picks because it increases the odds you will hit on some of them. Pretty much the opposite of what the Bills do. For example, using that strategy you never take Kujo in the 2nd round because there are too many question marks.

I hate the best player available strategy. That assumes everyone knows who the best player is. They don't. It's an educated guess at best. I believe in the first 3 rounds you draft players at position of need you think capable of making it in the NFL and contributing right away. In the last 4 rounds you reach for some guys with ceilings who might grow into better players. Whenever possible trade down and accumulate more picks because it increases the odds you will hit on some of them. Pretty much the opposite of what the Bills do. For example, using that strategy you never take Kujo in the 2nd round because there are too many question marks.

I understand. However, I'm going to go modified Winston Churchil on you:

"The BPA strategy is the worst draft strategy, except for all the others that have been tried."

Anyone else think this is a terrible draft class? Good year not to have a number one. Winston has Vince Young written all over him. I wouldn't draft him in the 2nd round. I am sure he will never be a winning QB in this league. I don't think Mariotta will be either but at least he is not a head case with questionable character (and that's being kind). The tape on a lot of the top 10 picks is not great. These GMs never learn from history.

covered with john miller in the 3rd. our 2nd round pick was the top guy on their board. maybe we have some scouting at work.

I don't know. There were 8 offensive linemen they could have taken at 50 who were gone before they picked Miller. Hopefully Miller is good but a lot of potential for should'a could'a

Anyone else think this is a terrible draft class? Good year not to have a number one. Winston has Vince Young written all over him. I wouldn't draft him in the 2nd round. I am sure he will never be a winning QB in this league. I don't think Mariotta will be either but at least he is not a head case with questionable character (and that's being kind). The tape on a lot of the top 10 picks is not great. These GMs never learn from history.

Shhh. You're going to hurt the feelings of WGR and their parrots. They've been carrying the water for the "we gave up a chance to draft a QB in 2015 when we took Watkins" argument for 366 days now, and they are not about to face up to the reality that the ass has fallen completely out of it. :lol:

This draft is terrible...it's all over but the shouting.

Darby

BPA and filled serious need for depth in secondary. It's a passing league and you can't stop adding to it. Blazing speed, won't get beat deep. Not big, but plays physical, excellent tackling technique. Will help in run support. Coachable. Just a great pick

Edited by JTSP

I wish we has gone for Jake Fisher. But, I also remember posting a couple months ago that we should be going with bpa, and that's who they thought they were going for.

This is all second guessing people who know a lot more than I do.

IMO the first round was weak, but the third round was surprisingly strong. I thought we'd go OL at 50 but Darby is growing on me.

I'm not sure I entirely agree. I think it's a poor draft class in terms of elite players. But, if you take the top dozen or so players out of this class, I haven't seen any evidence that the remainder is below par for their position in this draft, compared to any other year minus its elite players.

Pretty much agree with every word of this post. Well said.

Thoughts???

Jake fisher, Ali Marpet, Clive Walford ....

I don't understand the Fisher love. He's soft. He gets abused. He's from a zone scheme. I love that we drafted a guard and aren't shifting a tackle in there. This Miller appears to be the perfect counter to the DTs we'll see in our division. If Richardson doesn't figure it out and Williams....shoot...forget Williams...this Miller is the LG. Glenn--Miller--Wood--Bully--Henderson Depth: Richardson Williams Urbik Kwanjo And that depth chart tells us another tackle is coming.

Fisher is far from soft and is great pass blocker.

Miller does NOT match up well with his little body against huge DTs

:thumbsup: