kelly doesnt shake lavar arringtons hand.......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is absolutely true. And that stuff was far better hidden in the 1980s/1990s than it is now. I love Kelly, but I always go back to that mysterious "injury" that occurred after his disastrous performance in Pitt in a Monday night game in 1996. He sat out three games after that and no one ever really found out the reason beyond the team's perfunctory "he has a hamstring issue" explanation -- even though he seemed fine. Lots of rumors were flying, and they weren't good. Who knows what really happened.

Oh come on. Not saying that Jim was always an angel off the field, but I don't think anyone can argue his passion about getting on the field. I remember that season VERY well.

Kelly was in a contract year, and the team seemed uninterested in extending him prior to that last year due to his age, perceived regression and the recent acquisition of Todd Collins, who they were supposedly high on at the time. Kelly did contemplate holding out, but Ralph supposedly gave him a handshake deal that they would discuss an extension after the season. While no new deal was ever reached, Ralph made up for it by giving Kelly an ambassador title and paying him something like $2 M.

Kelly DID have a serious hamstring injury, which caused him to miss a few games -- and opened the door for Todd Collins. Kelly tried to rush back on the field -- and played very well in his return game against the Bengals -- I believe he tossed 3 TD passes in the first half. Then he aggravated the hammy in that game and had to come out.

Like him or not, the team has been a wasteland at the QB position since his retirement. I am sure that the "slight" on Lavar was unintentional. Perhaps Kelly was distracted or something.

Edited by 2003Contenders

Oh come on. Not saying that Jim was always an angel off the field, but I don't think anyone can argue his passion about getting on the field. I remember that season VERY well.

Kelly was in a contract year, and the team seemed uninterested in extending him prior to that last year due to his age, perceived regression and the recent acquisition of Todd Collins, who they were supposedly high on at the time. Kelly did contemplate holding out, but Ralph supposedly gave him a handshake deal that they would discuss an extension after the season. While no new deal was ever reached, Ralph made up for it by giving Kelly an ambassador title and paying him something like $2 M.

Kelly DID have a serious hamstring injury, which caused him to miss a few games -- and opened the door for Todd Collins. Kelly tried to rush back on the field -- and played very well in his return game against the Bengals -- I believe he tossed 3 TD passes in the first half. Then he aggravated the hammy in that game and had to come out.

Like him or not, the team has been a wasteland at the QB position since his retirement. I am sure that the "slight" on Lavar was unintentional. Perhaps Kelly was distracted or something.

His return game was against the Jets. The Bengals game was the fifth game after that, and he left the game with a 31-7 lead in the 4th quarter. I don't know what happened after that Steelers game, but there were definitely rumors flying -- more than I had ever heard before. That Steelers game was quite possibly the very worst of his career, btw. This isn't to lend credence to any of the rumors; I'm just backing up what C. Biscuit said about the constant stream of them beyond the bickering Bills stuff. That is a fact. In any event, a lot of fans claiming to know something weren't really buying the hamstring issue (it was a very hot topic on the precursor version of TBD). I'm also pretty sure the Bills gave him a $1 million handshake deal, but the amount is immaterial. Kelly did express a desire to return the next year, and Ted Marchibroda's Ravens were the team discussed. Nothing ever came of it. He played terribly in 1996 in any case - he looked done, although a bad o-line didn't help matters. That's not really a criticism. He had a great career.

Edited by dave mcbride

Remember the countless charitable things Jim and Jill have done for the Buffalo area and around the country since 89?

chartible things from rich people is often just instructions from an accountant. Nothing but a tax right off and an opportunity to increase celebrity. Not to be mistaken with a true heartfelt act.

Remember the countless charitable things Jim and Jill have done for the Buffalo area and around the country since 89?

Jim Kelly is still an ass. So charity or non charity the fact remains

chartible things from rich people is often just instructions from an accountant. Nothing but a tax right off and an opportunity to increase celebrity. Not to be mistaken with a true heartfelt act.

Thanks for clearing that up colonel angus....

Pretty sure it isn't an immune issue he had no problem shaking fans hands at the TriStar autograph show in Houston in February. He did give him a thumbs up though so maybe he just didn't want to shake hands.