If La'el Collins drops do Bills take him?

ALLEN1QB

If he cannot get into next year's draft like the NFL says I would imagine the Bills would be near the top of his list for teams he could play right away for if exonerated. Maybe we have a chance.

We've established he won't be a first round pick, I don't feel like we've seen he can't get first round money

How would he then get first round money if not drafted in the first?

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CFL for a year or two? If they'd even have him. What a sorry state for a guy who likely had nothing to do with it. Really hate the NFL's "guilty until proven innocent" mind set. Its extending now to players who haven't even been charged with anything

No Saint I believe is considering that he may not be able to go back into the draft but that he may at some point just become a free agent, like Cameron Wake coming out of the CFL. And then if exonerated he could go to the highest bidder and get first round money. I would think that he wouldn't be able to do that, at least for quite some time.

Unrestricted free agents could get anything. Some may even be limited by their draft slotting by comparison to free market.

No Saint I believe is considering that he may not be able to go back into the draft but that he may at some point just become a free agent, like Cameron Wake coming out of the CFL. And then if exonerated he could go to the highest bidder and get first round money. I would think that he wouldn't be able to do that, at least for quite some time.

Correct- otherwise his threat to not sign a contract if drafted today would be rather ridiculous. If governed under udfa rules next year why wouldn't he just roll with being a late rounder today? It would've been more money and no year off. Edited by NoSaint

Unrestricted free agents could get anything. Some may even be limited by their draft slotting by comparison to free market.Correct- otherwise his threat to not sign a contract if drafted today would be rather ridiculous. If governed under udfa rules next year why wouldn't he just roll with being a late rounder today? It would've been more money and no year off.

I believe the NFL said he couldn't do that after he and his agent made the statement. They may not have known the rule.

He's an undrafted free agent, not an unrestricted free agent. There's a rookie draft pool salary cap and undrafted free agents are slotted at the league minimum and whatever modest signing bonus is allotted for undrafted free agents. If Collins is cleared, there's gonna be a mad dash to sign him. Basically getting a 1st rounder for nothing.

I believe the NFL said he couldn't do that after he and his agent made the statement. They may not have known the rule.

If his agent declared that without knowing the rule his agent should have been fired immediately.

Ill be interested to see. I don't think the NFL has considerable worry about the rare situation of a senior plummeting last second and refusing to sign. It would very much surprise me if they had strict guards in place against that very rare scenario.

He can't enter 2016 draft and supplimental draft request was denied.

He is at the mercy of whoever signs him.

I'm surprised no one took him in 7th. A few years back someone would have.

Today's climate is too risky for public perception.

If his agent declared that without knowing the rule his agent should have been fired immediately.

Ill be interested to see. I don't think the NFL has considerable worry about the rare situation of a senior plummeting last second and refusing to sign. It would very much surprise me if they had strict guards in place against that very rare scenario.

I think it was more his lawyer than his agent that led him through this

He wasn't offered a contract that he didn't sign. He went UDFA. How long can the league bind him per the 2015 draft rules?

Id imagine through the league year would be common sense.... But obviously haven't confirmed and not all here agree so maybe that sense isn't common

He can't enter 2016 draft and supplimental draft request was denied.

He is at the mercy of whoever signs him.

I'm surprised no one took him in 7th. A few years back someone would have.

Today's climate is too risky for public perception.

I think it was more his lawyer than his agent that led him through this

He announced that he wouldn't have signed if not drafted by end of Friday. If someone drafted him today, it would have been his ticket to next year's draft.

Looks like he gets to pick his team. I doubt it will be the Bills, since it won't be an auction...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/collins-plans-to-sign-once-hes-cleared/

It still could be the Bills. Scheme and talent wise, it's a very good fit. He is best suited at guard,where the Bills have a dearth of talent, and best suited for a power scheme, which Roman is installing.

He could still be a day one starter in Buffalo. Not sure how many other teams would have a similar scheme and lack of talent at OG

@Gil_Brandt: If La'el Collins is cleared after meeting with police tomorrow, he will sign a FA contract. There will a lot of interest.

It still could be the Bills. Scheme and talent wise, it's a very good fit. He is best suited at guard,where the Bills have a dearth of talent, and best suited for a power scheme, which Roman is installing.

He could still be a day one starter in Buffalo. Not sure how many other teams would have a similar scheme and lack of talent at OG

OG is actually one of the positions most teams need. It was a major issue around the league last year. But would love to see him here if he's cleared! Edited by YoloinOhio

Unrestricted free agents could get anything. Some may even be limited by their draft slotting by comparison to free market.

Correct- otherwise his threat to not sign a contract if drafted today would be rather ridiculous. If governed under udfa rules next year why wouldn't he just roll with being a late rounder today? It would've been more money and no year off.

He's an UDFA, the terms are very different then a UFA. He can't just get whatever. He will get base salary when he signs.

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

Basically the most he can get next year $435,000

That's not how this works. He gets a udfa contract now and there are rules around that.

I said guaranteed money. I didn't say anything about his contract. I understand he gets a udfa contract but we can give him a lot of guaranteed money. As per this article, he could get as much as 2nd round guaranteed money:

http://overthecap.com/what-can-lael-collins-earn-as-an-undrafted-free-agent/

Have Rex call him personally and get him all fired up about being our starting G or T and how we are going to the playoffs. Then have Whaley get on the phone and say we are giving you as much guaranteed money as possible and we want you bad. Done deal

If he's open to leaving Louisiana, Bills offer him as good an opportunity as anybody else. He'd be a good fit for Bills power running attack, would start immediately, and he gets to block for one of the premier running backs. Get Pegula, Rex, and McCoy on a plane to Louisiana the second he's cleared. Maybe after everything that's happened, he wants to get away to a low-key place and focus on football.

We have to find a way to throw some serious dollars his way and find a way to make his agent, who also got stiffed, some money too.

He may be limited by the UDFA pool but hopefully you can draw up a creative and alluring contract.

Assuming of course that he's not Ahern's next door neighbor for the next 100 years.

We had a good draft. Land him and with Ritchie, Miller and what we had last year our coaches would have what they need to vastly improve the O-line.