Brett Hundley. We need to talk about this.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These strike me as pretty fair breakdowns based on what I've seen, but I don't agree with the scout in the first one who says that he has no potential to start:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/brett-hundley?id=2552588

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824723/brett-hundley

Edited by dave mcbride

I had Hundley as my Bills pick in the Tomcat contest, but I switched it to Jake Fisher. I think I'm going to have to change it back to Hundley. All I see is Colin Kaepernick v2.0 (before Harbaugh tried to force him into being a pocket passer).

Here was my scouting report on Hundley:

Brett Hundley - UCLA

Sample video:

- Solid drop-back with good explosion off back foot; athletic and a good scrambler

- Ball comes out quickly with velocity

- Release point is a bit low, leading to batted balls at the LOS

- Ball placement is solid on short throws

- Gets flustered in the pocket and doesn’t reset his feet reliably

- Rushes to escape the pocket when #1 isn’t available

- Makes good decisions with the football from the pocket

- Accuracy on throws inside the hash marks is inconsistent

- Needs to learn to get on the ground when finishing a run or he’ll get killed in the NFL

- Must protect the football better in the pocket

I expected to be underwhelmed by Hundley, but came away pretty impressed with his passing ability. He’s got an NFL arm, quick release, solid accuracy more often than not, and is very athletic. He needs to work to re-point his release to avoid all the tipped balls, and his pocket presence will need to develop. I could definitely see a team taking a shot at him with a 1st round pick based on natural ability.

Nice work my friend. :thumbsup: Although, I believe either a QB has a pocket presence already or he will never have one. I don't think it's something that can necessarily be taught. Just my 2.

Edited by H2o

Is there a rule governing how many project QBs a team can draft and/or carry on the roster?

As long as the team's owner doesn't also own a hockey team without a true first-line center, it's fine. Did we learn nothing from the pre-Pegula speculation?

kj

If they draft either Hundley or Petty, I will be all for it. It will show they are at least trying to find a guy. Regardless of what your personal preference of a QB prospect is.

Besides, none of us really no if a Guy is going to be good or not. but hey "I told you so" or something like that.

If they draft either Hundley or Petty, I will be all for it. It will show they are at least trying to find a guy. Regardless of what your personal preference of a QB prospect is.

Besides, none of us really no if a Guy is going to be good or not. but hey "I told you so" or something like that.

no, I agree with this. I know they need to keep trying. Plinko, I'm told. I am just being open about my fears.

Is there a rule governing how many project QBs a team can draft and/or carry on the roster?

Nice work my friend. :thumbsup: Although, I believe either a QB has a pocket presence already or he will never have one. I don't think it's something that can necessarily be taught. Just my 2.

Isn't pocket precence really just peripheral vision combined with not being panicky/antsy? Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

no, I agree with this. I know they need to keep trying. Plinko, I'm told. I am just being open about my fears.

No problem with being open, Plinko is a perfect example. Your 10,000 is surrounded by a bunch of zeroes. You are going to hit 0 more often than you hit 10,000. But it only takes one token (pick) to hit that 10,000.

I feel one of the best resources available to fans in order to get a decent feel for a QB's personality is Gruden Camp. If you go back to past episodes and rewatch the QBs who made it, you start to see trends.

1. They are dominant and gain the respect of Gruden in one on one conversation. People think Gruden is just chewing the scenery but I think he messes with the QBs on purpose to see how they respond. The best example of this was Cam Newton. You'll find the biggest busts are the ones that automatically become submissive to Gruden, like Gabbert or this year Petty. This is not a knock normally since Gruden is a very dominant guy, but as a QB you need to be one of the most dominant guys in the huddle in order to command attention and respect.

To add more to this, Russell Wilson is not a dominant personality per se, but you'll notice he was completely unaffected by Gruden's. Luck was the same way. They were not intimidated by him at all. No trouble holding eye contact. You see that this year with Winston and Hundley.

2. Fast processing skills and decisiveness. The best was clearly Andrew Luck. Knew every single passing concept instantaneously. No "umms" or pauses, just immediately started writing on the board. You also saw his decisiveness in little things like "let's do this in trips formation". Gruden didn't tell him which formation or even tell him to pick one, he just immediately chose one. All these little things come through on the field. Grayson on the other hand clearly takes a few moments to think, says "umm" before doing anything and just overall clearly second guesses himself a bit. QBs need to process fast and make immediate decisions.

3. Talking to the players in the huddle. At the end of this video http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12469292Hundley is telling 3 receivers what to do in the huddle. You can see immediately that he's the alpha male there but the way he talks, his firmness, his command of their attention, and how two of the guys look down when he talks. The players must be ready to give everything for their QB, and they won't do that for a QB they don't take seriously.

Going by this, Hundley and Winston made the best impression on me. Winston took over the show completely with his charisma, but Hundley was just very eager and confident. Last year out of all the guys I was impressed by Derek Carr for his unwavering confidence and self-assureness, and he turned out to be one of the best.

We have access to all the game film and the physical abilities are broken down by everyone. Everyone agrees intangibles are the most important thing. Well I think Hundley's the guy for us if we take one this year. I'm actually kind of hoping we avoid Petty and Grayson.

Edited by musichunch

I feel one of the best resources available to fans in order to get a decent feel for a QB's personality is Gruden Camp. If you go back to past episodes and rewatch the QBs who made it, you start to see trends.

1. They are dominant and gain the respect of Gruden in one on one conversation. People think Gruden is just chewing the scenery but I think he messes with the QBs on purpose to see how they respond. The best example of this was Cam Newton. You'll find the biggest busts are the ones that automatically become submissive to Gruden, like Gabbert or this year Petty. This is not a knock normally since Gruden is a very dominant guy, but as a QB you need to be one of the most dominant guys in the huddle in order to command attention and respect.

To add more to this, Russell Wilson is not a dominant personality per se, but you'll notice he was completely unaffected by Gruden's. Luck was the same way. They were not intimidated by him at all. No trouble holding eye contact. You see that this year with Winston and Hundley.

2. Fast processing skills and decisiveness. The best was clearly Andrew Luck. Knew every single passing concept instantaneously. No "umms" or pauses, just immediately started writing on the board. You also saw his decisiveness in little things like "let's do this in trips formation". Gruden didn't tell him which formation or even tell him to pick one, he just immediately chose one. All these little things come through on the field. Grayson on the other hand clearly takes a few moments to think, says "umm" before doing anything and just overall clearly second guesses himself a bit. QBs need to process fast and make immediate decisions.

3. Talking to the players in the huddle. At the end of this video http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12469292Hundley is telling 3 receivers what to do in the huddle. You can see immediately that he's the alpha male there but the way he talks, his firmness, his command of their attention, and how two of the guys look down when he talks. The players must be ready to give everything for their QB, and they won't do that for a QB they don't take seriously.

Going by this, Hundley and Winston made the best impression on me. Winston took over the show completely with his charisma, but Hundley was just very eager and confident. Last year out of all the guys I was impressed by Derek Carr for his unwavering confidence and self-assureness, and he turned out to be one of the best.

We have access to all the game film and the physical abilities are broken down by everyone. Everyone agrees intangibles are the most important thing. Well I think Hundley's the guy for us if we take one this year. I'm actually kind of hoping we avoid Petty and Grayson.

good info, I didn't see the Gruden piece

thats my issue here because he's being mocked in the 2nd to 1st with a 5th round grade from Mayock. Reach.

If I guy pans out, its not a reach. If he doesn't it was a stupid draft pick. If Buffalo picks him in rd 2 or 3. I'm all for it. Leave no stone unturned.