Teams trying to trade for Mo Wilkerson

If true, the Browns make a lot of sense. Pettine knows Wilkerson, they are looking to upgrade their DL and have a war chest worth of draft picks to make a move. Wilkerson is certainly better than any DL they are realistically looking at with pick #12, that gives the Jets the ammunition to move up for Mariota or allows them to take Leonard Williams if he falls to #6 and another piece at #12.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true, the Browns make a lot of sense. Pettine knows Wilkerson, they are looking to upgrade their DL and have a war chest worth of draft picks to make a move. Wilkerson is certainly better than any DL they are realistically looking at with pick #12, that gives the Jets the ammunition to move up for Mariota or allows them to take Leonard Williams if he falls to #6 and another piece at #12.

I don't think anyone is going to give a first round pick for Wilkerson unless it's a very late pick. But I think I could see the Browns trading their second round pick (A fairly high second rounder at pick 43) and maybe a 6th or 7th. Wilkerson's contract is coming up soon so I can't see the Browns giving up one of their first rounders. A high second for a good young player who will be commanding a big contract seems more than fair. The Jets get a good pick that they can use to find a contributor while the Browns fill one of their defensive needs with a proven player.

I don't think anyone is going to give a first round pick for Wilkerson unless it's a very late pick. But I think I could see the Browns trading their second round pick (A fairly high second rounder at pick 43) and maybe a 6th or 7th. Wilkerson's contract is coming up soon so I can't see the Browns giving up one of their first rounders. A high second for a good young player who will be commanding a big contract seems more than fair. The Jets get a good pick that they can use to find a contributor while the Browns fill one of their defensive needs with a proven player.

I don't see the Jets trading him for a 2nd given his age and production. If that's the case, trade #50 for him and we'll figure out the cap when it gets to that.

I don't see the Jets trading him for a 2nd given his age and production. If that's the case, trade #50 for him and we'll figure out the cap when it gets to that.

Big thing that hits his trade value is the fact that he is seeking a huge contract. So you would be giving up a draft pick and a significant contract. Wilkerson will be 26 and has produced tremendously but any team trading for him will have to give him a big contract as opposed to drafting a player who will be cheap for the next 4-5 years. I see a 2nd rounder and maybe a mid round pick as the best deal the Jets can get.

Also I would love to trade pick 50 for him but no way the Bills are able to hand out another huge contract on the D-line. I also doubt the Jets would want to trade him within the division. Basically the Jets either have to pay the man or trade him and his trade value should bring a good return but it is a little limited due to his contract demand.

Edited by billsfan89

Big thing that hits his trade value is the fact that he is seeking a huge contract. So you would be giving up a draft pick and a significant contract. Wilkerson will be 26 and has produced tremendously but any team trading for him will have to give him a big contract as opposed to drafting a player who will be cheap for the next 4-5 years. I see a 2nd rounder and maybe a mid round pick as the best deal the Jets can get.

Also I would love to trade pick 50 for him but no way the Bills are able to hand out another huge contract on the D-line. I also doubt the Jets would want to trade him within the division. Basically the Jets either have to pay the man or trade him and his trade value should bring a good return but it is a little limited due to his contract demand.

In regard to the Bills perspective on this, you are quite correct. we cannot handle the contract.

I certainly am going to watch how this progresses though. He is an impact player.

• 4 weeks later...

So they are gonna trade one of the best DL in the league because they aquired a DL rookie who has not played a down.....

See THIS is what makes the bills better on D....we dont trade one good DL for another.....we STOCKPILE them

We will see what happens next year. Hard to fit in Gilmore, Glenn, and Bradham with those highly paid DL.

Plus it helps that all 4 are completely different. The Jets 3 top DL are all similar.

We will see what happens next year. Hard to fit in Gilmore, Glenn, and Bradham with those highly paid DL.

Plus it helps that all 4 are completely different. The Jets 3 top DL are all similar.

It remains to be seen, but Gilmore is the only one of those three that'll get crazy money. Bradham should be relatively cheap given how the position has become somewhat devalued.

So they are gonna trade one of the best DL in the league because they aquired a DL rookie who has not played a down.....

See THIS is what makes the bills better on D....we dont trade one good DL for another.....we STOCKPILE them

Ummm, the Jets have too...but they pay $13 million TOTAL for Williams, Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson.

Meanwhile, the Bills are paying Mario Williams $16 million ALONE.

It remains to be seen, but Gilmore is the only one of those three that'll get crazy money. Bradham should be relatively cheap given how the position has become somewhat devalued.

Glenn is a LT...they get more money than CB's. (Or at least they used to, and still should.)

Ummm, the Jets have too...but they pay $13 million TOTAL for Williams, Harrison, Richardson and Wilkerson.

Congrats to the jets for having a good cheap d line. Except that they continue to change out that good cheap d line in the draft, rather than improving other areas of need such as their horrid offense.

Rumor he is going to the Lions in a trade

Interesting - they basically trade suh and fairley for ngata and wilkinson. Not a bad trade.

Glenn is a LT...they get more money than CB's. (Or at least they used to, and still should.)

Re CBs, the pay dedicated to revis and richard sherman has really raised the bar. They are as expensive as LTs now.

Personally, I'd like to see him stay in the AFCE. I want the best players in the league in the Bills division so that I can watch them twice a year. Plus, you don't improve by reducing the quality of hyour competition. I want to see Buffalo play the best.

Jets are almost out of cap space, Sheldon Richardson is also low paid . I can see them trading Mo and getting a cap friendly Leonard Williams if he is still there.

I didn't interpret the OP that we should grab him as we have more pressing needs. With fowler in the draft, a trade for a 2nd round pick, and free up space could help their cap, and the Jets get weaker. I think Bowles would lobby like crazy to keep him, but the GM could override him.

we'll see. On a aside note, I was listening to NFL Radio, and the list of available veteran offensive lineman was pretty long. Some solid names, and would love if we picked up two at the minimum with no signing bonus, and cut the guys who can't help during training camp. Maybe Richardson, or any of our current talent don't make it, seeing an overage of lineman now.

Personally, I'd like to see him stay in the AFCE. I want the best players in the league in the Bills division so that I can watch them twice a year. Plus, you don't improve by reducing the quality of hyour competition. I want to see Buffalo play the best.

Um .. The jets just drafted the consensus best player in the draft, and he's a DT. If Wilkinson leaves, the Jets will still be in fine shape on the d-front.

This makes no sense. All that I want to see is the Bills win. Wins against Tampa count the same as wins against Seattle. There is no reason to want it to be more difficult for the Bills to win games. Do you celebrate when the Bills have the toughest strength of schedule? Get angry when they have an easy strength of schedule?

If this was sarcasm I apologize. It doesn't always come across clearly here.

Edited by Kirby Jackson