What Would It Take To Get Mettenberger?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course not. Today.

Well last year he had Hackett and Marrone and was coming off injury plagued rookie season. We didn't know what he was going to be like. The first reports from OTAs were he was not looking good. This year we heard from players and coaches that he looks really good. I assume he is going to look good in practice the way Trent Edwards looked good in practice. But he sucked mostly in the games because he couldn't handle the rush and pressure. I assume that is what is going to happen to EJ too. But there is a chance he takes the next step.

Well last year he had Hackett and Marrone and was coming off injury plagued rookie season. We didn't know what he was going to be like. The first reports from OTAs were he was not looking good. This year we heard from players and coaches that he looks really good. I assume he is going to look good in practice the way Trent Edwards looked good in practice. But he sucked mostly in the games because he couldn't handle the rush and pressure. I assume that is what is going to happen to EJ too. But there is a chance he takes the next step.

Nah, chemistry/game experience/worked on his stuff all summer. He was supposed to look at least the same in practice, not worse.

Nah, chemistry/game experience/worked on his stuff all summer. He was supposed to look at least the same in practice, not worse.

You said "Today". Which is two weeks after Otas started. Last year at this time there were already reports he wasn't looking good and neither were Tuel and Thad.

You said "Today". Which is two weeks after Otas started. Last year at this time there were already reports he wasn't looking good and neither were Tuel and Thad.

Figuratively today. Meant it in more of a "knowing how it all turned it out" sorta way. I thought EJ and TJ Graham had good OTA's.

Let's just say, I'm not holding my breath for EJ to look "pretty good" in practice.

Figuratively today. Meant it in more of a "knowing how it all turned it out" sorta way. I thought EJ and TJ Graham had good OTA's.

Let's just say, I'm not holding my breath for EJ to look "pretty good" in practice.

That's not the point anyway. The point is you don't know how any of these guys - Mettenberger EJ Taylor - are going to be as far as potential good starters or franchise QBs until they play in real games. You have a decent idea or range for Cassel. And having a four man camp battle isn't likely to seperate EJ from Mettenberger from Taylor as far as which two to keep for regular season. They all have some experience. They all have some issues. They all have some talent. They all have some upside. They all are likely to fail.

Well it didn't take long for the Promo of old to show up. Nice job of moving the goalposts again. I didn't know that the criticism of Bills woeful job of addressing the QB began in 2013.

It's not just which player they may have missed in isolation, but how Whaley has approached the position.

But let's play your game first. From the 2013 QB class, Glennon seems to be the best of a bad lot. Of the 2014 class, it's way too early to tell, but considering that Buffalo didn't even swing, you can argue that almost any drafted QB from that class at this point is better than Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. And that is the crux of the argument.

Imagine a scenario where a GM is interviewing for a job, and his prescription for a team's QB future was to go into camp with EJ Manuel, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis and Dennis Dixon. How many owners would hire that GM?

Restrospective analysis is very easy, because it's clear that Whaley's strategy, as pointed out by many last May, was risky and turned out horribly. That's why this is a discussion about strategy and not whiffing on a specific player. It goes back to putting much faith in Kevin Kolb, and then scrambling to fill in a gaping hole in late August. Same thing last year, when Lewis & Dixon flamed out as expected.

And that is what was maddening. The 2014 QB class was one of the better ones, so to not bring in another developmental QB, especially when the 3 Ms were there to be had in Rounds 4-5 was irresponsible.

Now compare that to this year, when it's apparent someone took Whaley aside and finally convinced him that his approach to the QB position has been woeful. That's why they took very hard runs at any available veteran and were willing to pay the price, and are still considering drafting another camp body. And that's why I cringe with all the Petty & Hundley talk, who on the basis where they will be drafted are far worse prospects than the guys who were drafted in those spots last year.

So basically you have no definitive answers. Just "what if's." As if finding a QB is like playing lottery scratchers.

So trading for Cassel says nothing about our QB situation, but picking the #2 Heisman winning QB in a notoriously weak draft means that Mettenburger sucks and will always suck. Got it.

You realize you're killing your own argument, don't you?

You claim Mettenberger is this budding franchise QB. Yet the Titans were offered a boatload of players and draft picks but still drafted Mariotta, a QB with plenty of question marks.

So a team that is supposedly set at QB, with holes all over it's roster, passes the chance to load up on picks and players to roll the dice on a QB that is no sure bet?? That's a ringing endorsement of Zach M.

You should consider giving up this crusade, find a corner and suck your thumb while hugging your Johnny Football action figure.

So basically you have no definitive answers. Just "what if's." As if finding a QB is like playing lottery scratchers.

Which part of the 3 M's is hard to decipher?

Bills would have been better off with either Murray, McCarron or Mettenburg on their roster than either of the guys they drafted in those slots. Any of the 3 Ms would have been better than Tuel. Sanchize would have given you a better vet option than Lewis & Dixon, and definitely better than Orton.

But go ahead and defend the incompetent attention to the QB position until this year.

Which part of the 3 M's is hard to decipher?

Bills would have been better off with either Murray, McCarron or Mettenburg on their roster than either of the guys they drafted in those slots. Any of the 3 Ms would have been better than Tuel. Sanchize would have given you a better vet option than Lewis & Dixon, and definitely better than Orton.

But go ahead and defend the incompetent attention to the QB position until this year.

Why? Because you think they are all better QBs? Again, your complaints are all based on the Bills not doing what you want done, not actually making any tangible improvements.

You of all people should see the duplicity of your stance. If any of these QBs you mention were Bills we would all be calling them the B-word and looking for their replacements already.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

That is kind of my reasoning. I would rather add another option to the competition than a guy that is going to get cut anyways. If it doesn't work out you can always just cut Mettenberger (or trade him elsewhere).

But you can't do that in the NFL. 3 guys taking reps is pushing it. Now, you want to add another guy? IT just isn't feasible and won't hurt all the QBs.

I struggle to understand why people think ZM has more upside than EJ. You can say we reached on EJ, but he was still going to be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. ZM played with 2 stud receivers at LSU, for a former NFL OC, and was a 6th rounder.

But you can't do that in the NFL. 3 guys taking reps is pushing it. Now, you want to add another guy? IT just isn't feasible and won't hurt all the QBs.

I struggle to understand why people think ZM has more upside than EJ. You can say we reached on EJ, but he was still going to be picked in the 2nd or 3rd round. ZM played with 2 stud receivers at LSU, for a former NFL OC, and was a 6th rounder.

Agreed. I dont get why I keep seeing names like Mettenberger and Glennon being thrown around. Even McCarron and Murray. ALL of these guys are equal to, or have shown less, than EJ.

If they came here for free somehow (no trades), then maybe I could see taking a look at them. But to waste more resources on players who we basically already have is just insane.

It seems like more of a case of "Anyone but our guy" than it does good personnel scouting.

Why? Because you think they are all better QBs? Again, your complaints are all based on the Bills not doing what you want done, not actually making any tangible improvements.

You of all people should see the duplicity of your stance. If any of these QBs you mention were Bills we would all be calling them the B-word and looking for their replacements already.

My head is hurting from the annual explanation of why people are complaining about Bills' past personnel moves, and yet you still can't grasp the difference between criticizing a player's performance and front office's performance.

Any of the 3 Ms could still fall flat on their face. But we do know that the 3 Ms have greater NFL potential than Tuel, Lewis & Dixon. That's all that is, potential. But not taking either of the three, when they were available in mid to late rounds is reckless, if I'm going to be kind. Stupid, is probably the better word.

Last year's QB class was deepest in probably a decade. So when you have EJ, Tuel, Lewis & Dixon as the only bodies in camp, then not getting another developmental body in camp is idiotic. Whaley gets kudos for giving up a draft pick in a weak 2015 draft to get a generational talent (hopefully). He should get equal flack for totally ignoring a deep QB draft, especially looking at who they drafted in 4,5, & 6

That's 15 years of frustration showing through....

For sure. :thumbsup:

My head is hurting from the annual explanation of why people are complaining about Bills' past personnel moves, and yet you still can't grasp the difference between criticizing a player's performance and front office's performance.

Any of the 3 Ms could still fall flat on their face. But we do know that the 3 Ms have greater NFL potential than Tuel, Lewis & Dixon. That's all that is, potential. But not taking either of the three, when they were available in mid to late rounds is reckless, if I'm going to be kind. Stupid, is probably the better word.

Last year's QB class was deepest in probably a decade. So when you have EJ, Tuel, Lewis & Dixon as the only bodies in camp, then not getting another developmental body in camp is idiotic. Whaley gets kudos for giving up a draft pick in a weak 2015 draft to get a generational talent (hopefully). He should get equal flack for totally ignoring a deep QB draft, especially looking at who they drafted in 4,5, & 6

I hear ya, but 2nd and 3rd stringers really dont get that many reps or chances to develop. You're talking about shoring up our QB depth as if that wouldve helped our Starting QB situation at all. Im more worried about the starter than the talent level at #2, and #3.

Edited by DrDareustein

Seattle did it (pretty sure).

I gave my reasoning on ZM earlier. He was a huge reason for the success at LSU even with the stud playmakers. He played in a pro style offense and has the arm talent of a 1st round pick. He wasn't graded far from EJ coming out except for the injury. He went in the 6th because he had a torn ACL. He was going to go much earlier without that.

I am by no means saying that he is perfect but he is just as likely to turn into a franchise guy as EJ IMO. I've seen a lot of both of them and I think that ZM certainly has a better arm. He makes more plays and mistakes than EJ. If you look at their rookie seasons side by side Mettenberger averaged 34 more yards a game, had a higher TD %, higher completion %, higher rating and averaged 1.5 yards more per completion. I am not making my judgment based on the stats but if it isn't fair to judge EJ after 14 starts we shouldn't be judging ZM on his 6 or 7 that have been every bit as good.

Seattle did it (pretty sure).

I gave my reasoning on ZM earlier. He was a huge reason for the success at LSU even with the stud playmakers. He played in a pro style offense and has the arm talent of a 1st round pick. He wasn't graded far from EJ coming out except for the injury. He went in the 6th because he had a torn ACL. He was going to go much earlier without that.

I am by no means saying that he is perfect but he is just as likely to turn into a franchise guy as EJ IMO. I've seen a lot of both of them and I think that ZM certainly has a better arm. He makes more plays and mistakes than EJ. If you look at their rookie seasons side by side Mettenberger averaged 34 more yards a game, had a higher TD %, higher completion %, higher rating and averaged 1.5 yards more per completion. I am not making my judgment based on the stats but if it isn't fair to judge EJ after 14 starts we shouldn't be judging ZM on his 6 or 7 that have been every bit as good.

I was never that impressed with ZM. Just seems like another immobile big guy.

And again, I'd rather be learning as rookie from Wisenhunt than Marrone.

You realize you're killing your own argument, don't you?

You claim Mettenberger is this budding franchise QB. Yet the Titans were offered a boatload of players and draft picks but still drafted Mariotta, a QB with plenty of question marks.

So a team that is supposedly set at QB, with holes all over it's roster, passes the chance to load up on picks and players to roll the dice on a QB that is no sure bet?? That's a ringing endorsement of Zach M.

You should consider giving up this crusade, find a corner and suck your thumb while hugging your Johnny Football action figure.

I have never claimed Mettenburger to be a budding franchise guy. I've actually said the opposite. Carry on with your personal attacks and bastardization of arguments. Eager to hear that it's no one's fault if a great QB emerges, and that it's the fans' fault that our QBs suck.

When your stance is, "guys that have played great in college and gotten drafted are somehow worse than undrafted nobodies," you're already wrong.

Edited by FireChan

I was never that impressed with ZM. Just seems like another immobile big guy.

And again, I'd rather be learning as rookie from Wisenhunt than Marrone.

I don't disagree with any of that. Mettenberger isn't terribly mobile but he isn't Mike Glennon either.

Just to be clear I am not banging the drum for Mettenberger. I think that he has as much of a chance as the guys that we have and I like him better than the guys left on the board. None of that is meant to be a ringing endorsement. I am just suggesting that if you are considering any of the guys in the draft you would be better served using a 6th (or whatever) to add him instead.

I don't disagree with any of that. Mettenberger isn't terribly mobile but he isn't Mike Glennon either.

Just to be clear I am not banging the drum for Mettenberger. I think that he has as much of a chance as the guys that we have and I like him better than the guys left on the board. None of that is meant to be a ringing endorsement. I am just suggesting that if you are considering any of the guys in the draft you would be better served using a 6th (or whatever) to add him instead.

Correct, and that should have been the logic last year, when these guys were coming out

Would you suggest that the Jaguars draft a QB this year? Because Blake Bortles had a worse rookie season than EJ did.

A team needs to look like they have a plan and know what they're doing. Otherwise you end up looking like the Browns.

We get that you don't think EJ is the answer. Given that there's a new coaching staff and this is year three for Manuel, you very well may see the Bills draft a QB tonight. However, that won't change the fact that Manuel is still going to get his shot to prove the doubters wrong. I'm a supporter of Manuel and still think he can become a franchise QB on the level of Flacco, but I won't be mad if they draft a QB for more competition. May the best QB win the job.

Would you suggest that the Jaguars draft a QB this year? Because Blake Bortles had a worse rookie season than EJ did.

A team needs to look like they have a plan and know what they're doing. Otherwise you end up looking like the Browns.

We get that you don't think EJ is the answer. Given that there's a new coaching staff and this is year three for Manuel, you very well may see the Bills draft a QB tonight. However, that won't change the fact that Manuel is still going to get his shot to prove the doubters wrong. I'm a supporter of Manuel and still think he can become a franchise QB on the level of Flacco, but I won't be mad if they draft a QB for more competition. May the best QB win the job.

If there's a project in the 5th or 4th round, they should absolutely draft him.

Yes they should, and are intentionally ignoring that they drafted Bortles very high after they quickly cut losses with a high pick?

Yes they should, and are intentionally ignoring that they drafted Bortles very high after they quickly cut losses with a high pick?

Gabbert started/played for 3 seasons (and had 28 starts to EJs 15) before they moved on. Not sure that's very "quick" in today's age, or by what you are suggesting.

Edited by DrDareustein

Gabbert started/played for 3 seasons (and had 28 starts to EJs 15) before they moved on. Not sure that's very "quick" in today's age, or by what you are suggesting.

It's not about EJ exclusively. It's about bettering the position, and those guys are better than what Bills had in camp last year

It's not about EJ exclusively. It's about bettering the position, and those guys are better than what Bills had in camp last year

Wont argue with you on the bold. But only 1 QB starts at a time and he gets most (if not all) of the reps. Improving your 3rd QB isnt doing much for anyone. Maaaybe a better 3rd stringer helps push the 2nd stringer which in turn pushes the starter, but that's a bit of a stretch.

IMO, you should address improving the QB position at the starting level. Which would push the current starter to 2nd string, and 2nd to 3rd. Not from the bottom up.

• 1 month later...

First off let me just say that i mostly follow the Titans but have always liked Buffalo as well going back over twenty five years. I have noticed you got a head coach i've always admired in Rex Ryan and you also have what seems to be a damn good team but missing the one main ingredient a good starting QB.

I have no doubt watching this team that it could be a really good one. However Manuel and Cassel aren't gonna be good enough to get this team where it needs to go.

I am very angry probably as mad as i've ever been at a team based on some decisions they've made the past offseason and that team is Tennessee Titans.

After years and i mean over a decade of piss poor QB play the team finally found a good QB in the draft in Zach Mettenberger.

How bad was Tennessee QB situation you say? Over the past decade Tennessee had a different leading passer at QB every year for the past ten years. Can you imagine having a different leading passer every year thats how dysfunctional the QB position was. No other team in the league has done that bad as TN.

Well i knew from the minute i saw him play in preseason he was a keeper. Mettenberger in his first preseason game leads a come from behind victory in the last seconds against Green Bay. In his second game he completed 20 of 25 passes against New Orleans including a 65 yard missle to Justin Hunter that was right on the money. He ended up leading the NFL in preseason passing.

Well then due to it being Jake Locker's last year of his rookie deal they wanted to see if he would finally be the guy so they gave him the starting job instead of Mettenberger. That was the first time in a series of many i felt like they overlooked Zach. Locker would go on stretches of five games where he would only complete 45% of his passes he was awful. Then he would have one good game to keep the team hoping he was turning a corner. This went on four long years. He also only played 22 out of 48 games because of injuries.

Well during the 2014 regular season after Locker played poorly then got hurt Mettenberger got the chance to finally start.

Mettenberger threw 27 of 41 for 300 yards with 2TD and 1INT and a 93.4 pass rating his first game against Houston setting a franchise rookie QB record.

He threw an 80 yard bomb against Pitt and overall completed 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards with 2TD and 1INT,110 QB rating setting a MNF rookie record for QB.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with 2TD and 1INT and an 88 QB rating.

Against Baltimore on the road he threw for 16 of 27.59%,179 yards,1TD and 1INT. First three or four drives he lead the offense deep into Baltimore territory.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for 1TD and 1INT and a 95 QB rating.

The last game against NY Giants he got hurt with a patchwork offensive line made up of reserves and rookies and completed 14 of 24 passes,58% completed,125 yards before leaving with an injury.

He only played in six games but played good IMO and showed promise for a rookie QB on a ****ty squad. He had no line,no running game and a defense that was last in the league. Late in the season in Mett's last game he had an 87.8 passer rating top among all rookie QB's in 2014. The guy is a gunslinger he was throwing missles regularly but the linemen had penalties constantly backing the team up in second and twenty situations. Hard for any QB to have to deal with that a lot. Between the constant penalties on offense and a defense giving up too much yardage it was a can't win.

After the season was over in Tennessee it was pretty much being said Zach would be the starter. Well the team ended up drafting Marcus Mariota and i'm sure a lot of fans would want Mariota BUT after seeing how well Mettenberger played on a very ****ty team i just knew if the guy had a decent offensive line,running game and a defense better than last in the league he would have a shot.

Not sure if you saw it up here in New York but Mettenberger said he would fight to the death for the starting job and said he could beat all new comers including Mariota. The guy is very cocky and confident and would go perfectly with Rex Ryan.

I'm not sure where Mettenberger will end up. I am hoping that he goes somewhere he can show what he can do. I have no doubt if Buffalo had Mettenberger with the type of team they have there right now he would get them pretty far.

Keep you ears and eyes open. trust me if you guys end up getting this kid you are getting a steal. He is the real deal........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m4f59_zach-mettenberger-rookie-highlights_sport

These are some of his highlights. He played very well for a rookie. Can put his longer deeper passes right on the money. He has a rocket arm and good accuracy.

TLDR - Likes Mettenberger and think he's better than Mariota. Thinks Bills would be set if they had him.

FTR. I like/have liked Mettenberger too. Thought he was the best QB coming out last year.

First off let me just say that i mostly follow the Titans but have always liked Buffalo as well going back over twenty five years. I have noticed you got a head coach i've always admired in Rex Ryan and you also have what seems to be a damn good team but missing the one main ingredient a good starting QB.

I have no doubt watching this team that it could be a really good one. However Manuel and Cassel aren't gonna be good enough to get this team where it needs to go.

I am very angry probably as mad as i've ever been at a team based on some decisions they've made the past offseason and that team is Tennessee Titans.

After years and i mean over a decade of piss poor QB play the team finally found a good QB in the draft in Zach Mettenberger.

How bad was Tennessee QB situation you say? Over the past decade Tennessee had a different leading passer at QB every year for the past ten years. Can you imagine having a different leading passer every year thats how dysfunctional the QB position was. No other team in the league has done that bad as TN.

Well i knew from the minute i saw him play in preseason he was a keeper. Mettenberger in his first preseason game leads a come from behind victory in the last seconds against Green Bay. In his second game he completed 20 of 25 passes against New Orleans including a 65 yard missle to Justin Hunter that was right on the money. He ended up leading the NFL in preseason passing.

Well then due to it being Jake Locker's last year of his rookie deal they wanted to see if he would finally be the guy so they gave him the starting job instead of Mettenberger. That was the first time in a series of many i felt like they overlooked Zach. Locker would go on stretches of five games where he would only complete 45% of his passes he was awful. Then he would have one good game to keep the team hoping he was turning a corner. This went on four long years. He also only played 22 out of 48 games because of injuries.

Well during the 2014 regular season after Locker played poorly then got hurt Mettenberger got the chance to finally start.

Mettenberger threw 27 of 41 for 300 yards with 2TD and 1INT and a 93.4 pass rating his first game against Houston setting a franchise rookie QB record.

He threw an 80 yard bomb against Pitt and overall completed 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards with 2TD and 1INT,110 QB rating setting a MNF rookie record for QB.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with 2TD and 1INT and an 88 QB rating.

Against Baltimore on the road he threw for 16 of 27.59%,179 yards,1TD and 1INT. First three or four drives he lead the offense deep into Baltimore territory.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for 1TD and 1INT and a 95 QB rating.

The last game against NY Giants he got hurt with a patchwork offensive line made up of reserves and rookies and completed 14 of 24 passes,58% completed,125 yards before leaving with an injury.

He only played in six games but played good IMO and showed promise for a rookie QB on a ****ty squad. He had no line,no running game and a defense that was last in the league. Late in the season in Mett's last game he had an 87.8 passer rating top among all rookie QB's in 2014. The guy is a gunslinger he was throwing missles regularly but the linemen had penalties constantly backing the team up in second and twenty situations. Hard for any QB to have to deal with that a lot. Between the constant penalties on offense and a defense giving up too much yardage it was a can't win.

After the season was over in Tennessee it was pretty much being said Zach would be the starter. Well the team ended up drafting Marcus Mariota and i'm sure a lot of fans would want Mariota BUT after seeing how well Mettenberger played on a very ****ty team i just knew if the guy had a decent offensive line,running game and a defense better than last in the league he would have a shot.

Not sure if you saw it up here in New York but Mettenberger said he would fight to the death for the starting job and said he could beat all new comers including Mariota. The guy is very cocky and confident and would go perfectly with Rex Ryan.

I'm not sure where Mettenberger will end up. I am hoping that he goes somewhere he can show what he can do. I have no doubt if Buffalo had Mettenberger with the type of team they have there right now he would get them pretty far.

Keep you ears and eyes open. trust me if you guys end up getting this kid you are getting a steal. He is the real deal........

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2m4f59_zach-mettenberger-rookie-highlights_sport

These are some of his highlights. He played very well for a rookie. Can put his longer deeper passes right on the money. He has a rocket arm and good accuracy.

welcome to the board, stick around.

I watched the Tenessee Philly MNF game and was impressed with Mettenberger. I would be thrilled if the Bills found a way to trade for him. In his little experience he has shown a lot more than EJ.

Yeah he threw eight passes over twenty yards in that Philly game including 345 yards total. Did you see the Pittsburgh game where Mettenberger threw an 80 yard bomb? He had a 110 passer rating in that game and set a MNF record in passing yards for rookie QB. The only reason TN lost that game was the defense gave up more than 200 yards to Bell rushing. Half those games Mett lost were piss poor defense,dumb penalties,horrible blocking,etc.

There were a lot of Titan fans believe it or not that were pissed when they drafted Mariota. Most wanted a trade for more picks or Leonard Williams. The thing is the GM there and Whisenhunt drafted Mariota to buy themselves more time i think. It sucks because most of the fans know Mettenberger is the real deal but the GM fell for the new shiny toy that is Mariota. Watching Mett to me reminded me of a Dan Fouts or Bret Favre type. He can sling it all over the field and dead on target.

The 0-6 record that keeps getting thrown out there is baloney. Mettenberger played very well every game. It was mostly the defenses fault that the team didn't win not Mettenberger. Also if you truly look at his stats and look at the highlights of his i posted from his playing at Tennessee this year you'll see exactly what i mean. Even Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first year but you could still see the promise he showed that first year. Not comparing the two at all i'm just saying there are plenty of examples of good QB's starting out with losing seasons and progressing later.