Abortion

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The entire discussion is slippery. Is the "fetus" viable the day before birth? Is the child truly 'viable" the day she/he is born? The next day? In the first year or two?

I can see the oportunity for some to argue that a new born is not viable because that child needs some level of care. The whole situation seems beyond any true definition.

The entire discussion has been re-defined to be called reproductive choice for women, the child is not a direct result of a woman's choice, beyond the choice to engage in life reproductive behavior. After that decision, which is uncontested imo, the child is the one who is killed.

So, at what point is choice irrelevant? To me, that is the question to be answered.

The debate is not about right and wrong. It's purely political among the politicians. The vast majority of abortions are done for unwed mothers or mothers-to-be. The vast majority of those are democrats or potential democrats. Just as most democrats don't support the death penalty for murderers as the death penalty hurts their constituency more.

The debate is not about right and wrong. It's purely political among the politicians. The vast majority of abortions are done for unwed mothers or mothers-to-be. The vast majority of those are democrats or potential democrats. Just as most democrats don't support the death penalty for murderers as the death penalty hurts their constituency more.

"The death penalty hurts their constituency more"..................Classic.

Couldn't be more wrong bro - abortion rates - while higher among minority women - they are pretty much the same against all other demographics:

"According to a study by the Guttmacher Institute, "Almost three-quarters of women obtaining abortions in 2008 reported a religious affiliation. The largest proportion were Protestant (37 percent), and most of the rest said that they were Catholic (28 percent) or that they had no religious affiliation (27 percent). One in five abortion patients identified themselves as born-again, evangelical, charismatic or fundamentalist; 75 percent of these were Protestant.”

That's from a CHRISTIAN website http://www.charismanews.com/opinion/40519-why-do-so-many-churchgoers-have-abortions

So - all you men can spout your "ideals" - when it comes down to it - and a young girl gets pregnant - they seem to have a different decision making algorithm.

Edited by baskin

I particularly like the quote on page 2 from George H.W. Bush that he only believes in abortion in the case of rape, incest and the health of the mother. He goes on to add the exception that retroactive abortion should also be allowed in the case of gatorman.

http://www.notable-quotes.com/a/abortion_quotes.html

I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.

RONALD REAGAN, New York Times, Sep. 22, 1980

27 likes

Tags: Ronald Reagan

A person is a person no matter how small.

DR. SEUSS, Horton Hears a Who

21 likes

Tags: Dr. Seuss

Abortion ... interferes with God's plan--a plan He willed before He created the universe. Abortion is in violation of God-given life.

RICHARD C. HALVERSON, attributed, Quotes Worth Repeating

18 likes

Tags: God

What is this ban on abortion? It is a survival of the veiled face, of the barred window and the locked door, burning, branding, mutilation, stoning, of all the grip of ownership and superstition come down on woman, thousands of years ago.

STELLA BROWNE, attributed, The Sexual Dynamics of History

15 likes

Tags: women

Abortion is legal because babies can't vote.

JOSEPH BONKOWSKI, Quote Me

11 likes

Somebody who should have been born is gone.

ANNE SEXTON, "The Abortion"

9 likes

Tags: Anne Sexton, birth

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.

FLORYNCE R. KENNEDY, Ms., Mar. 1973

9 likes

Tags: Florynce R. Kennedy, men

If the right to privacy means anything, it is the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwanted government intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision to bear or beget a child.

WILLIAM BRENNAN, attributed, Privacy: A Vanishing Value?

8 likes

Tags: William J. Brennan, privacy

No woman wants an abortion as she wants an ice cream cone or a Porsche. She wants an abortion as an animal caught in a trap wants to gnaw off its own leg.

FREDERICA MATHEWES-GREEN, Policy Review, Summer 1991

7 likes

Tags: women

Many people are very, very concerned with the children in India, with the children in Africa where quite a number die, maybe of malnutrition, of hunger and so on, but millions are dying deliberately by the will of the mother. And this is what is the greatest destroyer of peace today. Because if a mother can kill her own child -- what is left for me to kill you and you kill me -- there is nothing between.

MOTHER TERESA, Nobel Lecture, Dec 11, 1979

5 likes

Tags: Mother Teresa

I am pro-choice, but I find that abortion is a failure of the feminist establishment. With every kind of birth control available in the world, abortion is not something to be proud of. If you need an abortion, you've failed.

TAMMY BRUCE, speech at Columbia University, Apr. 6, 2005

5 likes

Tags: Tammy Bruce, birth control

Abortion is inherently different from other medical procedures because no other procedure involves the purposeful termination of a potential life.

POTTER STEWART, judicial opinion, Jun. 30, 1980

4 likes

Tags: Potter Stewart

I have met thousands and thousands of pro-choice men and women. I have never met anyone who is pro-abortion. Being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion. Being pro-choice is trusting the individual to make the right decision for herself and her family, and not entrusting that decision to anyone wearing the authority of government in any regard.

HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

4 likes

Tags: Hillary Rodham Clinton

We cannot diminish the value of one category of human life -- the unborn -- without diminishing the value of all human life.

RONALD REAGAN, Abortion and the Conscience of the Nation

4 likes

Tags: Ronald Reagan

When you peel back the layers of the anti-choice motivation, it always comes back to two things: What is the nature and purpose of human sexuality? And second, what is the role of women in the world? Sex and the role of women are inextricably linked, because if you can separate sex from procreation, you have given women the ability to participate in society on an equal basis with men.

GLORIA FELDT, attributed, Huffington Post

4 likes

Tags: women, sex

Abortion should not only be safe and legal, it should be rare.

BILL CLINTON, speech at DNC, Aug. 29, 1996

3 likes

Tags: Bill Clinton

The emphasis must be not on the right to abortion but on the right to privacy and reproductive control.

RUTH BADER GINSBERG, Ms., Apr. 1974

3 likes

Tags: Ruth Bader Ginsburg

It is always the moralists who do the most harm. Abortion is the logical outcome of civilization, only the jungle gives birth and moulders away as nature decrees. Man plans.

MAX FRISCH, Homo Faber: A Report

3 likes

Tags: Max Frisch, morality

Any woman who has felt a baby stir inside her [and] any man who has seen the tiny heart pulsing on an ultrasound screen, knows that abortion is about ending a life.

KAREN KISSANE, attributed, The Abortion Myth

3 likes

Tags: life

To forbid birth is only quicker murder.... He is a man, who is to be a man; the fruit is always present in the seed.

TERTULLIAN, attributed, The Bible on Abortion

3 likes

Tags: Tertullian, murder

Read more at http://www.notable-quotes.com/a/abortion_quotes.html#MDKR64eycAZVfsJ3.99

I have met thousands and thousands of pro-choice men and women. I have never met anyone who is pro-abortion. Being pro-choice is not being pro-abortion. Being pro-choice is trusting the individual to make the right decision for herself and her family, and not entrusting that decision to anyone wearing the authority of government in any regard.

HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

Well thank goodness Hillary doesn't believe in entrusting health care decisions to the government!

I had it in my back pocket for a while. I waited two and a half pages to do it though, so I get some credit for that, right?

Would have been better if you'd gone with "Aktion T4." An unquestionably legal program with an unquestionably immoral rationale that's relevant to a discussion of abortion.

But just saying "everything Hitler did was legal" is a real rat's nest of an argument, given that you're putting the focus on an international judgement of the legality of national jurisprudence that was strongly debated at the Nuremburg trials. Unless you're arguing that abortion doctors should be tried at The Hague.

I'm still waiting for someone to prove that life begins at conception, myself...

Would have been better if you'd gone with "Aktion T4." An unquestionably legal program with an unquestionably immoral rationale that's relevant to a discussion of abortion.

But just saying "everything Hitler did was legal" is a real rat's nest of an argument, given that you're putting the focus on an international judgement of the legality of national jurisprudence that was strongly debated at the Nuremburg trials. Unless you're arguing that abortion doctors should be tried at The Hague.

I'm still waiting for someone to prove that life begins at conception, myself...

Cell theory.

Cell theory.

I thought "human life" was understood. But if you're going to go as far as that, explain to me why pro-lifers eat...anything, really. Can't think of a human-metabolizable food that isn't cell-derived.

The fact that the fertilized egg that, although similar to the mother, still has it's own unique DNA code.

I thought "human life" was understood. But if you're going to go as far as that, explain to me why pro-lifers eat...anything, really. Can't think of a human-metabolizable food that isn't cell-derived.

Because we need to in order to survive. My life is worth more than a plant's, or a cow's.

Edited by FireChan