Abortion

No, THERE'S the rub. When the answer to the question "when life begins" is no longer "imo," that's when you get to tell other people when life begins.

Obfuscating and conflating language in the "pro-choice" camp is the rub. The entire movement reeks of double talk and myth.

It should be added that I'm not claiming to know your exact views on the matter.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obfuscating and conflating language in the "pro-choice" camp is the rub. The entire movement reeks of double talk and myth.

It should be added that I'm not claiming to know your exact views on the matter.

Both movements are double-talk and myth. Ultimately, the question is whether or not to force people to accept the beliefs of other people...and the people who want to force their beliefs of "when life begins" on everyone are ironically the same people who don't want beliefs in "gay marriage" forced on them.

My position is simple: Prove when life begins, and that's when it becomes murder. Until then, it's a matter of individual belief.

I'm pro-abortion, up to and including the 75th trimester. I also support drunk driving and assault weapons.

Basically, anything that results in fewer people is fine by me.

Kind like Bill Mahr. For abortion or anything that eases traffic in LA, Paraphrasing but it's something like that.

Both movements are double-talk and myth. Ultimately, the question is whether or not to force people to accept the beliefs of other people...and the people who want to force their beliefs of "when life begins" on everyone are ironically the same people who don't want beliefs in "gay marriage" forced on them.

My position is simple: Prove when life begins, and that's when it becomes murder. Until then, it's a matter of individual belief.

We know a lot more since the Roe v Wade days, diagnostic tools can show us what we could only imagine before. I think it can be proved with today's tecnology, but then, some one will bring in the term "viable".

We know a lot more since the Roe v Wade days, diagnostic tools can show us what we could only imagine before. I think it can be proved with today's tecnology, but then, some one will bring in the term "viable".

I would. If it's not "viable," it's not life.

No doubt, we know more since Roe v. Wade. It's what makes the reliance on an arbitrary measure like "first trimester" idiotic. But it still doesn't answer the question "when does life begin." Nor, frankly, is technology likely to in the near future, since the very definition of "life" is a slippery one.

It'll be a REALLY interesting question to address when a computer finally passes the Turing Test, and we have to decide whether or not we have a right to power it down.

Perhaps much of the pro-life movement is myth, but it's hardly double-talk. The message and rationale for it are consistent and viable.

On the pro-choice side of things, however, we hear things like, "It's not a human being. But just in case it is a human being, the mother should still have a right to choose to kill it."

explain to me how a procedure where atleast half the people going into it die, is safe?

Oh, so both parties should end up dead?

I did preface the statement by saying that if abortion were illegal, women would still seek them out.

Personally, i will never be pregnant ,so i have no claim. if my 18 yr. old daughter came home pregnant today, i would encourage her to have the baby, and then we would assist in his/her upbringing until she is done with college or established in a career . . .

Oh, so both parties should end up dead?

I did preface the statement by saying that if abortion were illegal, women would still seek them out.

Personally, i will never be pregnant ,so i have no claim. if my 18 yr. old daughter came home pregnant today, i would encourage her to have the baby, and then we would assist in his/her upbringing until she is done with college or established in a career . . .

Should we also legalize hit men? I mean, people are gonna want to kill people anyway. Might as well get a professional that knows what he's doing so you don't hurt yourself or something.

Should we also legalize hit men? I mean, people are gonna want to kill people anyway. Might as well get a professional that knows what he's doing so you don't hurt yourself or something.

YES!

Read gatorman's posts, and tell me you think I'm wrong.

If you punch a woman who is 5 months pregnant in the stomache, and she loses the baby as a result, should there be any charges levied other than simple assault for the punch thrown?

Wasn't Scott Peterson charged with double homicide for killing both his wife and her unborn baby?

If you punch a woman who is 5 months pregnant in the stomache, and she loses the baby as a result, should there be any charges levied other than simple assault for the punch thrown?

I was going to post a Mortal Kombat "Fatality" video, because this is an excellent point, but I thought it'd be in poor taste.

I would. If it's not "viable," it's not life.

No doubt, we know more since Roe v. Wade. It's what makes the reliance on an arbitrary measure like "first trimester" idiotic. But it still doesn't answer the question "when does life begin." Nor, frankly, is technology likely to in the near future, since the very definition of "life" is a slippery one.

It'll be a REALLY interesting question to address when a computer finally passes the Turing Test, and we have to decide whether or not we have a right to power it down.

The entire discussion is slippery. Is the "fetus" viable the day before birth? Is the child truly 'viable" the day she/he is born? The next day? In the first year or two?

I can see the oportunity for some to argue that a new born is not viable because that child needs some level of care. The whole situation seems beyond any true definition.

The entire discussion has been re-defined to be called reproductive choice for women, the child is not a direct result of a woman's choice, beyond the choice to engage in life reproductive behavior. After that decision, which is uncontested imo, the child is the one who is killed.

So, at what point is choice irrelevant? To me, that is the question to be answered.

Reducto absudium doesn't become you . . .

abortion is legal. Murder is not. Try again . . .

Edited by Philly McButterpants