My afternoon with Rex, Thurman, and Jimbo

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a call from my front-office guy Monday saying SI would be doing an interview/photo shoot with Rex at the Big Tree for an article on the optimism in Buffalo since he arrived and asking if I wanted to be in the photo. Had to keep it on the down-low to avoid a stampede. Well DUH! Found out the next day that Jim & Thurman would also be included. So I took the day off and headed to Buffalo.

The SI reporter talked to Rex at a back table while the assembled volunteers did what we do - had a few beers and talked Bills. Pinto Kenny was there, as were "The Chefs". Chatted with Jim & Thurman a bit.

When the solo interview was over, they all went to a table, had some wings, and talked in front of the camera for about half an hour. Discussed how the Bills are so integral to the community and how Rex is fitting in, how Rex compares to Marv and the current team to the 90s version. Sounds like both Jim & Thurman are involved quite a bit - Thurman's first meeting with Rex turned into a film session on a QB they were looking at (but refused to name). Jim stressed the need for internal leadership, and of course a QB who could use all those weapons. Seemed like there were no tears shed when Marrone left.

After that they arranged the assembled fans behind the 3 while they snapped pics.

Jim seems to be doing very well - was very energetic and looks to have put back some of the weight he lost during treatment.

It was a very cool way to spend a few hours.

11116487_954905534533187_739748924741038

10464239_954908194532921_708693768724374

You lucky son of a gun. Glad someone from here got to go. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. It had to be a blast.

Thanks for posting this Jay. How freaking cool is that! You owe you're f/o guy something special. Uggh Berchtold. Was really hooping he wouldn't survive the transition. So much for that wish.

Why would you hope Berchtold would get the ax? From all accounts the guy is very good at what he does. All these years he was doing exactly what his bosses told him to do. Now with new ownership, you will probably feel differently about the guy in a year or 2.

That is awesome Jay. You owe your ticket rep at least a case a beer! Good Stuff.

Edited by Gordio

My brother is the guy that set this up with SI. Check out the Big Tree facebook page for some more pics. He is led to believe this may end up a cover story.

Yep that's what we were told. I talked to the photographer about getting some of the pics and he said he'd give me his card but I stupidly left before that could happen.

I don't see any pics on the Big Tree FB page. Is this it? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Tree-Inn/117361401615308

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

My brother is the guy that set this up with SI. Check out the Big Tree facebook page for some more pics. He is led to believe this may end up a cover story.

that is very cool about the potential cover -but I am very superstitious and worry about the SI cover jinx!!