Is Jameis Winston really worth 1st pick overall?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very rare to have the 1st pick , I would gamble, rookie contracts make it safer now.

I would gamble on a guy who's floor looks to be somewhere between solid starter and pro-bowler and who's ceiling could be a potential Hall of Famer. Regardless as to whether or not rookie contracts make it safer, missing on a "gamble" has potential to set a franchise back years.

IMO

Edited by Cold Front

@ProFootballTalk: Bucs ownership may not be completely comfortable with Winston http://t.co/7QUORrTdno

If they pass on Winston then I would think he goes either #5 to the Browns in a trade up with the Redskins or #6 to the Jets.

I could see Tampa using this draft to build their team with the expectation of picking high in 2016 and getting their franchise QB then.

If they pass on Winston then I would think he goes either #5 to the Browns in a trade up with the Redskins or #6 to the Jets.

I could see Tampa using this draft to build their team with the expectation of picking high in 2016 and getting their franchise QB then.

Like who? Seriously asking.

Like who? Seriously asking.

Cardale Jones, Conner Cook, or maybe a QB comes out of nowhere which seems to happen almost every year.

Them picking Winston is a bit scary because that Tampa team has a long way to go and you wonder if the immature Winston would be emotionally stable enough for that long of a haul. For the "experts" and everyone else it's an easy "no brainer" pick, but maybe that's because their butts aren't on the line. I'd imagine running an NFL football team is hard enough without wondering every night what the star franchise QB is doing or what he might do. Having that hanging over you everyday doesn't seem like much fun. Is he worth it? That's the big question.

Cardale Jones, Conner Cook, or maybe a QB comes out of nowhere which seems to happen almost every year.

Them picking Winston is a bit scary because that Tampa team has a long way to go and you wonder if the immature Winston would be emotionally stable enough for that long of a haul. For the "experts" and everyone else it's an easy "no brainer" pick, but maybe that's because their butts aren't on the line. I'd imagine running an NFL football team is hard enough without wondering every night what the star franchise QB is doing or what he might do. Having that hanging over you everyday doesn't seem like much fun. Is he worth it? That's the big question.

Jameis instantly puts them in contention to win that division IMO.

I would gamble on a guy who's floor looks to be somewhere between solid starter and pro-bowler and who's ceiling could be a potential Hall of Famer. Regardless as to whether or not rookie contracts make it safer, missing on a "gamble" has potential to set a franchise back years.

IMO

You'd gamble on a ProBowler? Not much of a gamble.

Wow. There are people on this very thread who are telling us that Winston isn't worthy of the #1 pick and opining about his pro prospects but are also adamant in other threads that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on another former fsu qb because he's 'only' played in 14 games. Gotta love it. He could be good, he could not be good. Who knows. Seems like the best qb in the draft. Sure he's worth the #1 pick.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Wow. There are people on this very thread who are telling us that Winston isn't worthy of the #1 pick and opining about his pro prospects but are also adamant in other threads that I'm not allowed to have an opinion on another former fsu qb because he's 'only' played in 14 games. Gotta love it. He could be good, he could not be good. Who knows. Seems like the best qb in the draft. Sure he's worth the #1 pick.

There is a difference though. Its the same thing we saw with Manziel: off field activities, maturity, and the will/desire to be the hardest worker in the room. Winston has all the physical tools, but do you trust him to put in the work to make himself great or will he be another Jamarcus Russel who thought that pure talent was enough.

The 14 game argument only holds water if the guy is putting in the work to better himself. If he's not, no amount of play time will make much of a difference.

All that being said I dont know how you dont roll the dice and pick him if you are in need of a QB. Just dont be surprised if hes a huge bust 4 years from now.

If the Bucs pass on Winston he's going #2 to the highest bidder IMO

Is there any feedback from Mayock as to why he changed his ranking? I don't think anyone up until this point has said that Winston wasn't the better player on the field, there are just off field questions, so I'd be interested to see why this has changed.

Mariota seems painfully shy. Even more so than Eli was. Unless he has a coach that "gets him" I think he's going to be eaten alive and he will lose confidence fast.

Couple reasons I heard...he was impressed after watching more video of Mariota & he hates the ints that Winston threw against top competition last season

If the Bucs pass on Winston he's going #2 to the highest bidder IMO

I think many teams are afraid of Winston and they're glad they don't have the 1st overall pick. I have no knowledge of this, it's just a hunch. If he doesn't get picked by Tampa then I just don't see many teams willing to send high draft picks to the Titans for him. I think once teams who are picking high are willing to do a deal to swap firsts for a only an additional 2nd rd pick, then I think a deal would be done. By that time, he probably would fall to the Jets who would pick him anyways without having to make a deal.

This account is based in Tampa and has over 32k followers fwiw

@NFLosophy: The Bucs plan on drafting Marcus Mariota if they can't find a suitable option to trade down.

@NFLosophy: I don't break news. I don't take this lightly. This is not what I think they should do. If you think I'm trolling for clicks, I'm not.

Now Jaws...

@jasonrmcintyre: ESPN analyst has 'sources' saying Marcus Mariota will go 1st in the draft http://t.co/7H5KtcISWNvia @thebiglead http://t.co/LJilJlodJF

If I'm the Bucs, this is the perfect year to trade out of the #1 slot and feel good about it. No clear cut bonafide superstar to be in the draft, so why bother?

I don't think Mariota has what it takes and Winston will always have off the field issues to contend with that put him in jeopardy of routine suspension.

If I'm the Bucs, this is the perfect year to trade out of the #1 slot and feel good about it. No clear cut bonafide superstar to be in the draft, so why bother?

I don't think Mariota has what it takes and Winston will always have off the field issues to contend with that put him in jeopardy of routine suspension.

I think there was a recent year where the reports were the top team wanted to get out of the first pick but couldn't cause nobody would trade up. Maybe the Jake long year? I wonder if the Bucs get kind of backed into the first pick cause nobody will want to give up a couple first to move up?