Peter King: Jahri Evans still on block(update:signed ext.)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who's more worried about the right tackle position than right guard? Yes, Henderson looked good for a 7th round rookie, but that's a really low standard. He was pretty bad for most of the year.

WIth McCoy in the fold, we're going to need someone athletic at that position who can block on sweeps as he's not really a plowing-up-the-middle runner.

basically cut the signing, and restructure amortizations out. it would be his salary, plus workout bonuses.... and possibly roster depending on when its paid. This year hed be around 7, next 8.7m

Any trade with him would likely come with a fresh contract. if they could get him to sign on a 4 year deal averaging 5-6m for instance, you could do a lot of magic with his number for this year.

Thanks

Why do they have to stop spending. ?

the salary cap is a year to year deal , nothing they have done is killing their future. They still have Mario's deal in their back pocket

Teams need to save space so that they don't have to reach into their "pockets" until the time at which they've planned to do so. Aside from draft picks, teams save space for things like (a) signing players mid-season (when your guys inevitably get injured), (b) signing current players to new contracts, and © trades.

Am I the only one who's more worried about the right tackle position than right guard? Yes, Henderson looked good for a 7th round rookie, but that's a really low standard. He was pretty bad for most of the year.

WIth McCoy in the fold, we're going to need someone athletic at that position who can block on sweeps as he's not really a plowing-up-the-middle runner.

Henderson is talented though. Expecting some improvement, just due to experience, is completely reasonable, IMO. It might not be enough, but I expect he'll have a better season.

That plus Jim Monos dad was his college coach. Monos and Evans go way back.

Thanks for the little tidbit. I didnt know that. Although I can't see why that would actually make any difference to Evans. It would be nice to see Monos around the building but it's not like that has anything to do with playing the game, like Kromer would.

He has an $11 million cap hit this year. We only have $7 million in cap pace. We can't even make a trade until we free up more cap space. We wouldn't even be allowed to make the trade because it puts us over the cap by $4 million. We are better off seeing if he ends up being a post 6/1 cut

his cap hit is different for the saints compared to what it would be for us.

Interesting note on his poor PFF grade last year in pass blocking

@ChrisTrapasso: Interesting tidbit re: Evans' -17.7 pass-blocking @PFF grade in

2014. Whopping -6.0 of that came in Week 5 game vs Buccaneers/Gerald McCoy.

So Suh and Mohammad Wilkerson are going to eat his lunch 4 times per year?

Easy pass at giving up a 3rd for him. I want a blue chip young guard we can have grow with Glenn/Henderson/Kouandjio and a real big TE to go with all our hybrid TE/FB guys we currently have with our 2nd and 3rd respectively.

presumably, if he was -6 that game, he was not near as bad when he played mccoy the other time. hes also faced off with suh numerous times, if you want to check it out.

presumably, if he was -6 that game, he was not near as bad when he played mccoy the other time. hes also faced off with suh numerous times, if you want to check it out.

McCoy missed the 2nd Saints game.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

After taking a good luck of who we have to re-sign next year, it's already going to be challenging as it is to keep all the players that contribute positively to this team. I just don't see how we can take on another pretty large contract. I suppose there is a way to restructure his current deal, but we are reaching that critical point of losing out on some of our valued players that are already on this roster if we keep adding more pricey contracts.

Edited by Magox

Easy pass at giving up a 3rd for him. I want a blue chip young guard we can have grow with Glenn/Henderson/Kouandjio and a real big TE to go with all our hybrid TE/FB guys we currently have with our 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Hopefully those guys exist.

touche. my point i still think stands that its worth looking at more than 1 game before saying that any talented player will consistently beat him.

I understand. I just place Evans in the same category as Mathis. I think his reputation has exceeded his skills at this point, especially considering the cost involved. I'd rather someone play their best football for us than overpay for a guy whose main strength is name recognition.

Hopefully those guys exist.

AJ Cann and Jesse James are just two names, there are several good oline prospects projected to be sitting in the 50 range.