Germanwings - One of the pilots locked out of cockpit?

Yeah, because I didn't take about four or five "clues" and draw the came conclusion as you. That as opposed to waiting for any number of other possible explanations that actual investigators with investigative experience will learn after investigating a crash site on a remote mountainside. Frankly, I'd rather have me on a jury than you.

I'm not saying that your speculation and early conclusion are incorrect. I'm just not ready to make a conclusion as soon as you.

Again, as the evidence shows, prosecutor tells, the CEO of Germanwings admits this is not speculation. They know the reason why the plane crashed. The answers we need now is why did he do it?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just eliminate the pilots. How many would get on a remote controlled plane (drone)... :-O You know it is coming. I mean, Google's got the car.

What a brave new leap that would be. @ the very least, make it like The Simpsons epsiode where Homer is a truck driver: "Shhhh, don't tell anybody these things drive themselves!"

I thought in India they have been doing this for awhile already?

Thanks Jim. I slipped up on the wording of my question earlier. It wasn't whether on one approaching faster but if one would touch ground first. Poor choice of words on my part. Anyway, my question has been answered now.

I think it was pretty premature of the prosecutor to make such a proclamation when it appears that there will be more to the investigation -- even if the initial evidence paints a pretty clear picture. Of course, it seems to me that a French prosecutor is going to lean toward indicating human error or malfeasance over explaining that the French made airplane malfunctioned.

Yeah, I am sure those French-made planes are of the highest quality...

I agree that the prosecutor needed to really tread lightly.

Thanks Jim. I slipped up on the wording of my question earlier. It wasn't whether on one approaching faster but if one would touch ground first. Poor choice of words on my part. Anyway, my question has been answered now.

No problem. I rarely miss a opportunity to show off my hard earned aeronautical knowledge. :D

Again, as the evidence shows, prosecutor tells, the CEO of Germanwings admits this is not speculation. They know the reason why the plane crashed. The answers we need now is why did he do it?

Its an initial starting point but far from certain what happened. Have to subject that and other explanations to scrutiny as more information is known. Often in these investigations the first theory formed gets proven wrong. One open question is why would someone bent on suicide make a slow descent? Seems like people of that mind set want to go as quick as possible, and the added time exposed him to someone finding a way to pry open the door. Edited by JTSP

Its an initial starting point but far from certain what happened. Have to subject that and other explanations to scrutiny as more information is known. Often in these investigations the first theory formed gets proven wrong. One open question is why would someone bent on suicide make a slow descent? Seems like people of that mind set want to go as quick as possible, and in the added time exposed him to someone finding a way to pry open the door.

Generally, suicide is an impulsive act, and a successful suicide is at least quick to incapacitate. Much of the time, someone acting on a suicidal impulse will change their mind within five minutes, if they can.

A suicide attempt that goes for eight minutes without the suicide changing their mind isn't unheard of. But it is surprising.

This suicide was more like homocide. I mean there are so many people that are depressed and have occassional suicidal thoughts but they don't have any bone in their body to harm other people.

It's hard to comprehend why this co-pilot wanted to take so many people with him...or was he just so selfish to not even think about them in his moments of despair.

How many people in the cockpit now? 2 Wasn't there always 3? Pilot, co-pilot, and navigator. Why would you ever leave anybody alone behind a locked door?

Otto's always there too as long as he doesn't get deflated.

How many people in the cockpit now? 2 Wasn't there always 3? Pilot, co-pilot, and navigator. Why would you ever leave anybody alone behind a locked door?

When instrumentation was analog and engines were touchier, data management was more complex, so you'd have a flight engineer as well.

As that data management was taken over more and more by computers, turbofans became more reliable, and presentation got cleaner with digital readouts, workload reduced so a two-person crew could handle it.

When instrumentation was analog and engines were touchier, data management was more complex, so you'd have a flight engineer as well.

As that data management was taken over more and more by computers, turbofans became more reliable, and presentation got cleaner with digital readouts, workload reduced so a two-person crew could handle it.

Wouldn't have been easier just to have called him an idiot?

Wouldn't have been easier just to have called him an idiot?

I didn't think I needed to beat the information into his head. His problem is less stupidity than it is incoherence; and my purpose is education, not insults (well, not just insults.)

This suicide was more like homocide. I mean there are so many people that are depressed and have occassional suicidal thoughts but they don't have any bone in their body to harm other people.

It's hard to comprehend why this co-pilot wanted to take so many people with him...or was he just so selfish to not even think about them in his moments of despair.

Good point. The suicide motive wasnt making sense, if it was deliberate it was homicide/mass murder. The guy may have been mentally Ill.....what his ex-gf said:

According to German newspaper Bild, an ex-girlfriend of Lubitz, identified only as Mary W, said he had told her last year: "One day I will do something that will change the whole system, and then all will know my name and remember it."

She added: "I never knew what he meant, but now it makes sense."

And the stewardess, 26, said the pilot, who took a break in his training due to reported "burnout-syndrome", had suffered nightmares and his behaviour had scared her.

She told the paper: "At night, he woke up and screamed: 'We're going down!', because he had nightmares. He knew how to hide from other people what was really going on inside."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3015627/Pilot-planned-place-history.html

Edited by JTSP

Need to throw the private health laws out when it comes to people that fly plays drive trains or busses subway. Make it mandatory that doctors have to send certain things to employers that could put other people in danger

Need to throw the private health laws out when it comes to people that fly plays drive trains or busses subway. Make it mandatory that doctors have to send certain things to employers that could put other people in danger

In the US, pilots under 40 receive flight physicals twice a year and over 40 once a year. Bigger issue is that they are on an "honor system" to divulge any medical treatment they have received including psychiatric treatment.

Size of flight crew is based upon the flight time. Longer duration flights = larger crew (per FAA and JAA rules). Shorter duration flights = 2 person crew, longer duration flights = 3 or 4 person flight crew. Regardless, number of people in cockpit at the same time is two. They need to make it a rule that there are ALWAYS two people in the cockpit.

Edited by Flutie Flakes