Germanwings - One of the pilots locked out of cockpit?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the pilot in the cockpit had a health problem like cardiac or aneurysm which incapacitated him. The other pilot not being able to get back in after using the bathroom (if thats what he did), is unintended consequence of the post -911 security changes. Seems like they cant even depart the cockpit with a key

I wonder if the pilot in the cockpit had a health problem like cardiac or aneurysm which incapacitated him. The other pilot not being able to get back in after using the bathroom (if thats what he did), is unintended consequence of the post -911 security changes. Seems like they cant even depart the cockpit with a key

You would think there should always be a second person in the cockpit? Maybe when a pilot has to leave, a flight attendant should go to the cockpit until the pilot returns?

You would think there should always be a second person in the cockpit? Maybe when a pilot has to leave, a flight attendant should go to the cockpit until the pilot returns?

A two-man rule like that isn't a bad idea. Although it's not a cure-all - it's still possible for a pilot to disable the second person and lock the door. And if it were a fault in the aircraft that incapacitated the pilot (I've heard a cockpit fire or depressurization - neither seems particularly likely to me without affecting the rest of the cabin), then two people would be just as incapacitated as one.

Bottom line is that we don't know what happened. And that's why it's so strange - usually at this point, with the voice and data recorders in hand, there'd be some sort of a strong indicator. The lack of a single workable theory is MH370-level perplexing.

A two-man rule like that isn't a bad idea. Although it's not a cure-all - it's still possible for a pilot to disable the second person and lock the door. And if it were a fault in the aircraft that incapacitated the pilot (I've heard a cockpit fire or depressurization - neither seems particularly likely to me without affecting the rest of the cabin), then two people would be just as incapacitated as one.

Bottom line is that we don't know what happened. And that's why it's so strange - usually at this point, with the voice and data recorders in hand, there'd be some sort of a strong indicator. The lack of a single workable theory is MH370-level perplexing.

If the cockpit pilot has a traumatic health event there may not be an audible sound recorded. Question then why would plane descend? Guy fell on controls? If it was suicide why was descent gradual? Edited by JTSP

I'm sure there is a strong indicator that they're not ready to tell us yet.

Many Airbus jets are fitted with crew-controlled locking mechanisms to prevent unauthorized access to the flight deck. While access from the cabin is permitted through a keypad code, the pilots can lock out external access for five minutes or longer using a switch in the cockpit, according to training materials reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/search-resumes-for-germanwings-flight-9525-in-french-alps-1427272932

co-pilot of the Germanwings flight that crashed in the French Alps locked the pilot out of the cockpit and deliberately worked to destroy the plane, a French prosecutor during a news conference in Marseille.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/26/germanwings-plane-crash/70473800/

Uh oh

wasn't there another story recently where a pilot got locked out?

Maybe they should change the regs to when a pilot leaves a flight attendant must enter always leaving 2 in the cockpit.

According to what I heard on the news this morning, that is a regulation in the US. I guess the rest of the world needs to catch up on that one.

http://news.yahoo.com/germanwings-co-pilot-had-630-hours-flying-experience-081707009.html

Lufthansa could neither confirm nor deny reports that one of the two pilots on the doomed flight was locked out of the cockpit before the plane went down.

A source close to the investigation told AFP that cockpit recordings recovered from the crash site indicated one of the seats in the cockpit was pushed back and the door opened and closed.

Then knocking is heard, said the source, adding "there was no more conversation from that point until the crash".

http://news.yahoo.com/germanwings-co-pilot-had-630-hours-flying-experience-081707009.html

Lufthansa could neither confirm nor deny reports that one of the two pilots on the doomed flight was locked out of the cockpit before the plane went down.

A source close to the investigation told AFP that cockpit recordings recovered from the crash site indicated one of the seats in the cockpit was pushed back and the door opened and closed.

Then knocking is heard, said the source, adding "there was no more conversation from that point until the crash".

Other than the screams they heard right before impact.

According to what I heard on the news this morning, that is a regulation in the US. I guess the rest of the world needs to catch up on that one.

That really doesn't solve the problem either. A male pilot could easily overpower a female flight attendent. Very easy to attack them as they would never see it coming.

This is also the scenerio I suspect happened to MH370.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever