Bills to pick up 5th year option on Gilmore- update: Done!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I am certainly not saying that he isn't worth it, I am a bit surprised by this. $11.08M would see him as the 8th highest paid CB in the league this year, and so far he is the 7th highest paid in 2016 with that cap hit.....or 5th highest paid on average/year.

Has he really improved to be an elite CB?

Though I am certainly not saying that he isn't worth it, I am a bit surprised by this. $11.08M would see him as the 8th highest paid CB in the league this year, and so far he is the 7th highest paid in 2016 with that cap hit.....or 5th highest paid on average/year.

Even more troubling, is this the kind of yearly salary he's going to feel he deserves now?

thats what the option does for a guy drafted at 9 - pays you top 10 money at the position.

Over the 2nd half of last year, yes, he was outstanding.

Even more troubling, is this the kind of yearly salary he's going to feel he deserves now?

I'd imagine so, yeah. Patrick Peterson is getting $14M/year, and he's nowhere near an elite cover guy. If Peterson gets $14M, Gilmore at $11M is a bargain IMO.

Not really about yearly salaries anymore...it's how contracts are structured to give the team favorable cap space and guaranteed money to the player.

thats what the option does for a guy drafted at 9 - pays you top 10 money at the position.

Thanks. I could have saved some research/typing time by simply asking if he was really a top 10 CB.

I know he has shown good improvement, and that he has always been touted to have elite potential....but with the amount of flak he receives around here I am surprised by a commitment of top 10 money.

Dibs, I think he really showed "elite" skills down the stretch this last season, say most of the last half of the season. It was a pretty noticeable improvement, in my opinion. In fact, last night, on NFL Network (for whatever that is worth) they were arguing if Revis/Cromartie were the best DB tandem in the league...Eric Davis, a corner himself at one time, argued that while they might have a slight edge because of Revis, he mentioned Gilmore and McKelvin as "not far behind", and really seemed impressed with Gilmore. Not that I think he was wrong (and the nob he was "arguing with" seemed to agree about Gilmore), it was just odd to hear somebody nationally, saying it. Observers are starting to notice him...

Of course, in 2013, personally, I thought Leodis had taken a huge step toward that elite status, finally...but then he fell off a bit in 2014. Most of that could be contributed to injuries suffered throughout the year across the secondary...

Over the 2nd half of last year, yes, he was outstanding.

I'd imagine so, yeah. Patrick Peterson is getting $14M/year, and he's nowhere near an elite cover guy. If Peterson gets $14M, Gilmore at $11M is a bargain IMO.

Exactly. What people don't get is that he disappears for periods in games. That's because teams never throw at high.

To act like a cb should never give up a completion is just dumb. IF Gilmore was cocky and flashier, some fans would like him more. But he plays the most physically demanding position in a league that wants completions and does a great job.

He was a great draft pick.