Bills: Winners in free agency

Great for sure. Now if we could only find another starting quality O-lineman our offseason would prolly be best overall in terms of filling holes, meeting needs and generally improving the roster year over year. Wonder what their thinking is re the O-line. Wisniewski is still out there or maybe they will be looking to the draft.

Great for sure. Now if we could only find another starting quality O-lineman our offseason would prolly be best overall in terms of filling holes, meeting needs and generally improving the roster year over year. Wonder what their thinking is re the O-line. Wisniewski is still out there or maybe they will be looking to the draft.

Good question about the O-line. I'm wondering if they will give Cyrus a shot at RT again, move Henderson to LT and try Glenn at LG? Or mayb they draft a Guard or Tackle with their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

From the reports I read, Marrone spent a majority of his time with the O-line and they significantly regressed under him. With Kromer as the new O-line coach, I expect the young guys on the O-line to show improvement.

They kept Hughes, added Clay & 5 guys that have been to the Pro Bowl (McCoy, Harvin, Felton, Incognito and believe it or not, Cassel). The only losses of any significance are Spiller, Searcy & Kiko. I don't know how this off season can be viewed as anything other than a rousing success.

They kept Hughes, added Clay & 5 guys that have been to the Pro Bowl (McCoy, Harvin, Felton, Incognito and believe it or not, Cassel). The only losses of any significance are Spiller, Searcy & Kiko. I don't know how this off season can be viewed as anything other than a rousing success.

already best ever......and not done.

I'm ignoring the pundits who are saying we over-spent on Clay, that we haven't properly addressed the QB situation, that we have no chance of over-taking the Pats*, that we will finish third, or fourth in the division, and every other negative, anti-Bill, steaming pile of punditry.

And, I'm going to ignore this, too. It seems like we "win" the offseason every year. We are an "offseason dynasty."

I believe their priority targets for OL were Bulaga and Bolling, and when those efforts failed, they moved on to Harvin. I suspect they do not see any of the other current FAs as significant upgrades to what they have. It is possible something may happen after June 1 they might look at, but otherwise, they will probably draft one or two linemen and focus on what they have. They are really out of money right now without cuts, and probably do not see the available options as worth cutting Urbik, for example.

Good question about the O-line. I'm wondering if they will give Cyrus a shot at RT again, move Henderson to LT and try Glenn at LG? Or mayb they draft a Guard or Tackle with their 2nd or 3rd round pick.

From the reports I read, Marrone spent a majority of his time with the O-line and they significantly regressed under him. With Kromer as the new O-line coach, I expect the young guys on the O-line to show improvement.

I'm a little concerned frankly. Tho I disliked everything about Marrone's philosophy for the offence including his management of the line, I wonder how our recent O-linemen draftees will fare in Roman's system. Mobility seems to be important. When McCoy was tearing it up in Philly before times got tough he benefited from having a great tackle and guard who could pull and lead block on sweeps. Not sure I can easily envision any of our young guys being able to do that for now.

+1

I'm a little concerned frankly. Tho I disliked everything about Marrone's philosophy for the offence including his management of the line, I wonder how our recent O-linemen draftees will fare in Roman's system. Mobility seems to be important. When McCoy was tearing it up in Philly before times got tough he benefited from having a great tackle and guard who could pull and lead block on sweeps. Not sure I can easily envision any of our young guys being able to do that for now.

I agree. I keep reading how bad our Oline is, and I don't completely disagree that we need to add better players there. But, I also don't think we should forget that Marrone had a completely contrarian point of view regarding the Oline. As I recall, he made statements along the lines of.... Just get your 5 best players out there, regardless of position, and continuity is not an issue. Hence he continued jumbling the line all the way into the season.

Given that our line played worse each year under him... it could very well be that his philosophy towards the line was completely wrong. And our players aren't as bad as they appeared (if in the right position, with the right scheme, with time to build cohesion).

I guess we'll see come September because I don't see any significant upgrades, other than draft picks at this point in the year.

Exactly. Perhaps some of the trouble on online can be addressed with better coaching and scheme. Or just player improvement. They have drafted o line in recent times, not every young o- lineman is a plug and play guy in his first year. I haven't given up on a guy like Kuandijo , who is still intriguing and only 22? This guy could still be a player, Henderson played well and Richardson has talent. I'll trust in the coaches here, they are not amateurs.

You can complain about the size and breadth of the McCoy and Gray contracts, but there's no way to describe what the Bills have accomplished this off-season as anything but astonishing. I'm guessing Roman can get out of the OL twice what that jerk off Marrone could. We can shore up depth and maybe, with luck, even score some starters in the draft and UDFAs.

I agree. I keep reading how bad our Oline is, and I don't completely disagree that we need to add better players there. But, I also don't think we should forget that Marrone had a completely contrarian point of view regarding the Oline. As I recall, he made statements along the lines of.... Just get your 5 best players out there, regardless of position, and continuity is not an issue. Hence he continued jumbling the line all the way into the season.

Given that our line played worse each year under him... it could very well be that his philosophy towards the line was completely wrong. And our players aren't as bad as they appeared (if in the right position, with the right scheme, with time to build cohesion).

I guess we'll see come September because I don't see any significant upgrades, other than draft picks at this point in the year.

I agree 100% great post!

:beer: Good stuff.

I'm happier about the the defensive front 7 that the Bills have built - including keeping Hughes - than I am about anything they've added in free agency. I like that Clay is so versatile and he should be a good player, but they really spent on him and I don't see him living up to the contract he signed. Likewise Shady can be an excellent back for the Bills, but I don't like spending on any RB like that. Still, overpaying a few players isn't the end of the world. I think the Bills will improve and make the playoffs this year, but lack of quality QB play is going to result in an early exit. If they can somehow find that elusive franchise QB then they could really make some noise. That would be fun.