How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

Let them try and ignore these guys and any one of the three QB's you mention will kill them. Completely disagree.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

Ditto - if Cassel/EJ can play at a level equivalent or higher than Orton last year, we might be okay with our passing game. With Rodgers at QB, no different than the top 5 teams. But even their offenses get stopped (See Packers vs. Bills, and Broncos vs. Bills - yes we lost against the Broncos but Peyton had his worst game against us)

The players on your offense are half the battle - we need an offensive strategy that uses those players to create mismatches and impossible coverage options for the D.

Good post OP...let's talk some football!

If it were me, I'd play a lot of big nickel (3 safeties) and try to maul the WRs right off the snap; throw off the timing of the short routes.

I'd also have my DL get their hands up at every opportunity, and be looking for screens all day long.

The tough part would be defending Charles Clay, since the above approach really opens you up to getting hit down the seam. Then, of course, there's the possibility of getting smoked deep if Sammy gets off the jam (which he routinely does). I guess I'd be counting on the QB not being good enough to kill me deep with any regularity.

Yup - that and tackle well and swarm without neglecting assignments. Physicality and fundamentals.

The way the skill positions are shaping up, it reminds me of the OSU offense. If it is, They are going to make the defenses defend the whole field, have a huge playbook, have the ability to win one on one matchups, and hit you with deep passes when you overcommit to something else. It does not require an elite passer but it does require a very good OL, big time playmakers and a capable passer with a big arm and mobility to scare the D into thinking you are a risk to run as the QB at any time. I am interested to see the OL shape up because I think it's the key to the whole thing.

This is why I think that EJ has a little bit of an edge on Cassel. After its all said and done, the fact that EJ has the legs makes this offense capable of much more than if Cassel were back there.

So unless Cassel is throwing heat seeking missiles all training camp I will be surprised if EJ doesn't get the job.

Just a thought.

Can you say Flea-flicker?

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

Now now, I didn't criticize any of therir acquisitions, indeed I have been a consistent supporter of Whaley and even Buddy Nix. Together, they have put together a very talented roster.

I also am realistic enough to know that finding a good QB is damn hard and I honestly can't point to one that they really have had an opportunity to acquire and blew it. Some may argue that Russell Wilson is that guy, but it sure wasn't obvious to me at that time that he would become a good pro.

However, the reality is that the pass receiving weapons are going to significantly hand-cuffed by the QB play. I really believe that the Bills' best hope is that the light comes on for Manuel because Matt Cassell has had a long career in which to prove that he is even a middle of the pack NFL starter and he has not done so. He is now several years removed from his very good season with KC and I think that believing that he can revert to that form is just hoping and wishing.

I really am not one of the more negative posters here. I do think that a team with this much talent could sneak into the playoffs, but without at least decent QB play, they are not a threat to go far in the playoffs.

Edited by OldTimer1960

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

Why are you giving Rex Ryan the credit for the additions on offense?

I actually think Cassel will be good enough at QB for the Bills to make the playoffs. My concern is still the Oline

Edited by Max997

we're is solid shape on both sides of the ball as well as special teams, but the debate will always be about the QB play

I feel decent about our QB's but its still a huge question mark

Good post OP...let's talk some football!

If it were me, I'd play a lot of big nickel (3 safeties) and try to maul the WRs right off the snap; throw off the timing of the short routes.

I'd also have my DL get their hands up at every opportunity, and be looking for screens all day long.

The tough part would be defending Charles Clay, since the above approach really opens you up to getting hit down the seam. Then, of course, there's the possibility of getting smoked deep if Sammy gets off the jam (which he routinely does). I guess I'd be counting on the QB not being good enough to kill me deep with any regularity.

Agree - interesting topic. In your big nickel package Bandit who are you covering with your third safety? I'd be tempted to go with 3 corners who can run with Sammy, Woods and Harvin and 1 deep safety - I still think you have to try and be agressive get lots of guys close to the line and dare the Bills to try and beat you down the field with their quarterbacks who don't have a strong arm or are inaccurate down the field or a mix of the two. How you defend Clay is an issue especially if you don't have a linebacker who has good coverage skills. but I don't wanna go into a true nickel package with 5 DBs on the field and open up the possibility of the run and the short bubble screens to backs out of the backfield.

I'd be thinking the weakness is the Quarterback position so you have to make them beat you with that as much as you possibly can. If they do it then you have a problem.... if the Bills get good Quarterback play they are potentially scary.

Hand off to Shady 60 % of snaps...then pray that one of those guys can occasionally throw an accurate pass. OR

Orten will be ready to come back after perfecting his butt slide on his couch and after preseason.

Edited by rfk

Agree - interesting topic. In your big nickel package Bandit who are you covering with your third safety? I'd be tempted to go with 3 corners who can run with Sammy, Woods and Harvin and 1 deep safety - I still think you have to try and be agressive get lots of guys close to the line and dare the Bills to try and beat you down the field with their quarterbacks who don't have a strong arm or are inaccurate down the field or a mix of the two. How you defend Clay is an issue especially if you don't have a linebacker who has good coverage skills. but I don't wanna go into a true nickel package with 5 DBs on the field and open up the possibility of the run and the short bubble screens to backs out of the backfield.

I'd be thinking the weakness is the Quarterback position so you have to make them beat you with that as much as you possibly can. If they do it then you have a problem.... if the Bills get good Quarterback play they are potentially scary.

Good stuff Gunner.

I would probably walk my 3rd safety down over Harvin, the idea being that he can both (a) get his hands on Harvin at the LOS, and (b) play the run from the slot better than a No. 3 corner. I'd probably bracket Clay with my Sam 'backer and my SS and try to force the QB to drop the ball into a soft spot; not ideal, but again, you can only choose your matchups against so many guys. At least that scenario would leave a FS as the deep center-fielder and a LB underneath to defend Shady out of the backfield.

Of course, if the QB is a threat to run, that brings an extra layer of game-planning into the fray, which I personally think would be difficult to account for when you consider all the other playmaking options.

I'm hopeful for improvement on the offense this offseason...but damn are people getting carried away.

So the "stud" WRs have never had a 1000 yard season between the 3 of them (Don't get me wrong, I like them all), Clay has barely produced more than Chandler, and the QB position is possibly in worse shape than it was last year. Sure McCoy is a huge addition, but if you are expecting the Bills to all of the sudden be an offensive juggernaut you could be in for some disappointment.

I think the offense has improved it's offensive personnel, but it has a long way to go to prove it's even a mediocre offense. Especially with a huge question mark at QB.

But to answer the OP...Pressure the below average QBs, and focus on stopping McCoy. If Taylor somehow won the job, it would change things, as this surely would become a read option offense.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

For me, it is not just the skill players that will make this offense difficult to defend. It will be more about Roman's ability to confuse the defense in regard to what they key on. What I love about Rex Ryan is his ability to utilize aspects from virtually every type of defense to create confusion, disguise coverages, and create mismatches. I think he chose Roman because he brings exactly the same philosophy to the offensive side of the ball. Roman incorporates aspects of a number of different blocking schemes in a complex playbook, and any given package might have 2, 3, or four different blocking concepts. What is interesting to me, is that his success is not tied to a specific type of QB. He can run different blocking concepts within any given personnel package that suits a QB like Alex Smith, or incorporates the mobile skills of a QB like Colin Kaepernick.

So, what it comes down to, IMO, is better and more consistent O-line play. That is where Roman and Kromer do their best work. It is what will allow Roman to be creative with his personnel packages.

Hopefully they work their magic here

Edited by billsfan1959

Yup, they'll have 8 in the box.

Yeah, exactly. They will concentrate on shutting down the run, screens, short crossers etc. and make the offense beat them deep banking on the OL not being able to provide that much time and the QB's not being able to hit targets beyond 15-20 yards with any consistency.

Bottom 5? That's an insult to whoever you think is worse than him :)

Cassel did go to the Pro Bowl in 2010.

In the right system, with the right cast around him, he can be effective. And he may have that here.

And, then again, EJ may step up in Year Three.

A fan can always hope.

I'm hopeful for improvement on the offense this offseason...but damn are people getting carried away.

So the "stud" WRs have never had a 1000 yard season between the 3 of them (Don't get me wrong, I like them all), Clay has barely produced more than Chandler, and the QB position is possibly in worse shape than it was last year. Sure McCoy is a huge addition, but if you are expecting the Bills to all of the sudden be an offensive juggernaut you could be in for some disappointment.

I think the offense has improved it's offensive personnel, but it has a long way to go to prove it's even a mediocre offense. Especially with a huge question mark at QB.

But to answer the OP...Pressure the below average QBs, and focus on stopping McCoy. If Taylor somehow won the job, it would change things, as this surely would become a read option offense.

As an answer to the OPs question, this a reasonable guess.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The last two games EJ played he was required to throw the ball over 35 times and we barely ran for anything significant.

If we keep EJ under 25 attempts a game he has proven to be an effective game manager with the ability to win a game on the final drive here and there.

The EJ critics repeat ad nauseam the Houston game. Hackett had him throw 44 times while we ran it less than 25 times. That will not happen this year. EJ has the best chance to win the starting job currently.

Yes.

And look at everything else Doug Whaley has done with the roster.

How do we know he didnt "hit" on EJ?

I will be more interested to see what EJ can do with an NFL roster that is constructed to (or near) the salary cap, a coaching staff that is legitimately NFL-caliber top to bottom (not just a head coach with his cronies as coordinators to save a buck) and an owner that can stand up for himself at league meetings and not get blackballed for opposing CBA agreements and sending his henchmen to vote in his place--resulting in more prime time games, and not getting the Patriots after their bye week every year.

Right. I just LOVE the negativity here amongst the battered fans.

JHC folks, if you can't see that this is a better team all around than last year's squad, then what can I say... you're tone deaf and color blind.

To the OP's point - pressure up the middle, and collapse the pocket as quickly as you can, because when the ball leaves the backfield... it's the taillights of our backs and receivers that your guys will be seeing. That is, those that are still conscious after getting punched in the mouth.