How does a D cover this offense?

scribo

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

Edited by scribo

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

How? They don't really need to worry about any of the pass catchers with Cassell/Manuel/Taylor at QB.

False for 200 Alex. Cassell won 10 games twice with his dink and dunk method.

Freddy and Shady will open up easy completions once the running game is firing on all cylinders.

There may not be a better list of skill players in the league this coming season. Rex Ryan, looking through the eyes of a lifelong defensive mind, has brought in players who will steal entire weeks of sleep from opposing defensive coordinators all year. How does a team attempt to defend Shady McCoy, Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods, and Charles Clay all at once? Versatility is the key, as the offense will be able to respond instantly, without substitutions, to whatever the defense tries. Options have even been built in at QB, with both a pocket passer and a mobile QB added. If these players can each stay healthy and focused, there many not be a defense that can stop them all.

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

Matt Cassel is not a good QB. He was benched for Brady Quinn and never got the job back. He is for sure in the NFL's bottom five of starting QBs if he's our starter.

The 2015 offense hinges on either Manuel, Taylor or maybe even the QB we pick at #50 if they do that. Cassel is an "emergency backup QB only" IMO. No way will I believe that it was Greg Roman's master plan to have Matt Cassel run his 2015 offense for a whole year. Cassel was essentially replaced by Roman's rejected QB Alex Smith.

The way the skill positions are shaping up, it reminds me of the OSU offense. If it is, They are going to make the defenses defend the whole field, have a huge playbook, have the ability to win one on one matchups, and hit you with deep passes when you overcommit to something else. It does not require an elite passer but it does require a very good OL, big time playmakers and a capable passer with a big arm and mobility to scare the D into thinking you are a risk to run as the QB at any time. I am interested to see the OL shape up because I think it's the key to the whole thing.

Edited by YoloinOhio

This is getting a little tired, isn't it? It's March, we don't have a first round pick. Our QBs are what they are, why not try to support them and look at it in a positive light until, I don't know, say we lose a game because of poor QB play. We have surrounded whoever it is with some significant weapons. Some of you guys act like these guys are Middle School Intramural QBs. They are still good enough to make the freaking NFL for heaven's sake. Last time I checked, that wasn't a very easy thing to do being that only 75 or so people in the entire world can say that at the moment.

Not to mention, we don't have tweedledee and tweedledum coaching the offense anymore. Can't you just try to be a happy Bills fan for a few months?

I am . I see a franchise "going for it" for the first time in 20 years. We're back. Throw Cassel out there and lets go kick some -ss. Draft a QB/ Build a couple QBs behind him and go from there. its really not that hard when you have real NFL coaching, which we finally now have now that stable ownership is in place. I like everything I see.

Matt Cassel is not a good QB. He was benched for Brady Quinn and never got the job back. He is for sure in the NFL's bottom five of starting QBs if he's our starter

Bottom 5? That's an insult to whoever you think is worse than him :)

"Old" and as unoriginal as they come. There will be a legit QB competition in camp for the first time in about eight years.

Matt Cassel is not a good QB. He was benched for Brady Quinn and never got the job back. He is for sure in the NFL's bottom five of starting QBs if he's our starter.

The 2015 offense hinges on either Manuel, Taylor or maybe even the QB we pick at #50 if they do that. Cassel is an "emergency backup QB only" IMO. No way will I believe that it was Greg Roman's master plan to have Matt Cassel run his 2015 offense for a whole year. Cassel was essentially replaced by Roman's rejected QB Alex Smith.

Cassel won the starting job the past two season, including last year over Teddy Bridgewater. I hope one of the younger QBs can win the job, but Cassel was brought in because he is experienced, can game manage and will lead. You think they spent all this money and put their careers on the line just to put their fate in the hands of an unproven young gun? Only if that young gun really earns it.

Edited by scribo

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

Good post OP...let's talk some football!

If it were me, I'd play a lot of big nickel (3 safeties) and try to maul the WRs right off the snap; throw off the timing of the short routes.

I'd also have my DL get their hands up at every opportunity, and be looking for screens all day long.

The tough part would be defending Charles Clay, since the above approach really opens you up to getting hit down the seam. Then, of course, there's the possibility of getting smoked deep if Sammy gets off the jam (which he routinely does). I guess I'd be counting on the QB not being good enough to kill me deep with any regularity.

why do you even come here. This post makes you a piece of **** human.

He's not wrong though. Its a big concern for many. If Cassel or EJ come out and Have an "EJ V Houston" type season, none of this will matter. You may not like that, but until either of those QB's prove that they can at least be efficient, its a huge question mark.

That said, having all of those weapons should make it a hell of a lot easier to move the football.

Edited by CountDorkula

"Old" and as unoriginal as they come. There will be a legit QB competition in camp for the first time in about eight years.

Cassel won the starting job the past two season, including last year over Teddy Bridgewater. I hope one of the younger QBs can win the job, but Cassel was brought in because he is experienced, can game manage and will lead. You think they spent all this money and put their careers on the line just to put their fate in the hands of an unproven young gun? Only if that young gun really earns it.

I just don't see Greg Roman planning on Matt Cassel being his starter. A QB who was replaced by Brady Quinn, never got the job back and then was eventually replaced for good with the guy Roman no longer wanted as his starting QB. As a successful NFL OC, how would you want and seek out Matt Cassel as your starting QB given those circumstances?

As for Cassel winning the starting job last year, IMO it was only because they were treating Bridgwater with kid gloves because he bombed his pro day. They simply didn't want to put pressure on him to start the season.

Cassel was decent QB once upon a time. Now he is considered a back up QB only that will give a base level of NFL competition for the guys you are willing to actually start.

Edited by 1billsfan

Good post OP...let's talk some football!

If it were me, I'd play a lot of big nickel (3 safeties) and try to maul the WRs right off the snap; throw off the timing of the short routes.

I'd also have my DL get their hands up at every opportunity, and be looking for screens all day long.

The tough part would be defending Charles Clay, since the above approach really opens you up to getting hit down the seam. Then, of course, there's the possibility of getting smoked deep if Sammy gets off the jam (which he routinely does). I guess I'd be counting on the QB not being good enough to kill me deep with any regularity.

Thanks. The Bills ran the best big nickel last season, followed by the Eagles but Chip blew that up. I agree that's likely the best tactic to use against this offense. Fortunately, not a whole lot of teams have the personnel to run it effectively. The Jets do. But that is also susceptible to the power run game, which Rex has talked about since day one, and the TE splitting the seam, as you mentioned. That's why, in my opinion, we saw the team push so hard for Clay. He was the piece that makes this offense indefensible.

The last two games EJ played he was required to throw the ball over 35 times and we barely ran for anything significant.

If we keep EJ under 25 attempts a game he has proven to be an effective game manager with the ability to win a game on the final drive here and there.

The EJ critics repeat ad nauseam the Houston game. Hackett had him throw 44 times while we ran it less than 25 times. That will not happen this year. EJ has the best chance to win the starting job currently.

My thoughts exactly!!!

I am . I see a franchise "going for it" for the first time in 20 years. We're back. Throw Cassel out there and lets go kick some -ss. Draft a QB/ Build a couple QBs behind him and go from there. its really not that hard when you have real NFL coaching, which we finally now have now that stable ownership is in place. I like everything I see.

Adding to what you say. For the first time in what seems like forever, I trust that we have a professional and competent head coach along with good assistant coaches in all three phases of the game. We have a GM, HC, and owner that are all on the same page with everybody pulling in the same direction. The offense has added 'skill' players Harvin, Clay, McCoy, along with blocking FB Felton and G Incognito plus 2 QB's in Taylor and Cassel. This complements Woods, Watkins, EJ, and FJ already on the roster. There's still the 2 big questions about the QB and the O-line. My expectation is this offensive staff will do a better job of developing the younger guys already on the roster and one or two of them will emerge to challenge for starting spots on the line. Adding through the draft might also happen. As for the QB, I don't expect pro bowl caliber play but they'll get just enough so the position isn't a glaring weakness or viewed as a liability to the offense.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

CAfSrvsUcAAti1I.png

All depends on the QB. If it's EJ, you disguise defenses, blitz, and pressure. If it's Cassel, you focus on stopping the run and zone coverage in the secondary.