Bills' gamble on Percy Harvin sends contradictory message

HOUSE

Thanks! In 2011 that's 78 touches behind the line of scrimmage and 121 within 10 yards for an average of 6.5-7 yards per touch and 7 tds (Td every 17 touches) on plays that are fast developing and low risk high reward... Sucks the defense in and let's you take a shot or two when the safety cheats

Its kind of crazy that after he had a couple breakout years in Minnesota, being used in a variety of ways... he essentially went to the Seahawks and Jets and did a whole lot of nothing. Hopefully Roman gets him back on track.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is contradictary. When Seattle got Percy Harvin they gave up a 1st round draft pick and was given good credit for the move. Seattle was and still is a running team. We give the dude a 1 year contract and now we being contradictory toward our style of play. Too funny. If you really think about it every team Harvin has ever been on in the NFL has been a team that runs 1st.

Not necessarily. Harvin has a long (and I mean long) history of being a trouble maker.

In high school, he was suspended a game as a junior for a post-whistle unsportsmanlike penalty. As a senior, he was suspended the last 2 regular season games of his high school career for shoving a ref and using foul language. A couple months later playing basketball, he started a fight with an opponent that resulted in the game being called and a ban from competing against out-of-district schools. That meant he wasn't allowed to participate in state track events in the spring, too. He had won 5 individual state track titles up until then but he cost himself the opportunity to win an unprecedented 6th title and perhaps even worse, his teammate's an opportunity to win a team state championship.

One of his former teachers, now retired, told me he was the most ignorant, arrogant,self-absorbed, and self-entitled students she ever met. In fact, the only time I've heard her cuss was when she called him "just a real ass."

That's the kind of kid he was. Extrapolating that to adulthood - and with stories we've already heard about him - Rodak is right. He might not be worth the trouble.

Hopefully Rex can keep him in line all season. But the odds appear to be against him.

Hmmmn. Kinda sounds like a bully. Do ya think he may be our new kick return man?

Its kind of crazy that after he had a couple breakout years in Minnesota, being used in a variety of ways... he essentially went to the Seahawks and Jets and did a whole lot of nothing. Hopefully Roman gets him back on track.

jets mean very little. the first game against us he was there for what? 6 days? and was there for the geno 3 pass game? I wouldnt look at him being inserted in that dumpster fire for 2 months mid season as anything meaningful.

in seattle he had essentially a season ending injury right out of the gate ome year, and the second year in a month was averaging like 7 yards a touch and had a td - despite having that game where 3 tds were called back.

but to veer back towards rodak -- the only way that the message is contradictory is if you dont understand the player and goals. it makes a lot of sense in the theory of building a team without a qb.

Edited by NoSaint

It will all depend on the number of clicks he gets. If he can't generate traffic, he'll be out the door...

This. Do you think he's paid to tell you what you want to hear? Or something wishy-washy? What fun is that? Controversy gets clicks and eyeballs. Why do you all continue to read his stuff?

Waiving Chandler doesn't appear to be wise though

I'm happy the Bills finally rid themselves of another one dimensional player who wasn't really that good in his best area of ability in pass catching. Seriously what good is a TE that would get thrown around like a rag doll by a LBer, and not an elite LBer either. Blocking is a key part of a TE's job, and all receivers / RB's need to block well. The Patriots might have picked him up but I doubt he ever sees the field in a Pats uni in a regular season game.

As far as Harvin is concerned it looked like Rex had a handle on him last year so there is not much concern over that in my view.

Percy is Sammy Watkins insurance. Sammy can't be the only guy running these screens and sweeps. He's too good a down field threat for that. Percy will most likely be doing a lot of what he did with the Gators and Vikings and that is perfectly fine. A backfield consisting of McCoy and Harvin is going to be lethal. Wait until Tyrod comes in for some wildcat/triple option fun.

completely agree. Sammy has a similar skill set but is bigger and a more complete #1 wr. He is going to be double teamed and accounted for on every play. This happened last year and he still almost had 1000 yds as a rookie with bad QBs. Teams will need to account for McCoy, Harvin and Woods. It will not be fun for DCs to game plan as Roman has pretty intricate schemes. He never had WRs in SF with this YAC ability.

Regardless of what happens with Clay the Bills clearly want to upgrade the TE position as well. Roman said it in his first presser and they cut Chandler and let smith walk.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rodak doesn't bother me as much as others. I suppose I still buy into the notion of "no respect until it's earned" line of thinking. But Rodak is a prime example of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" style of journalism when it comes to the Bills.

I mean, if the Bills signed Bulaga, can anyone here envision an article saying how the Bills overpaid?? I sure as hell can.

Edited by stony

The cap really isn't much of an issue if the team wants to make a significant play for a guard and a tight end at significant money each. Not only is there existing room even after the Harvin deal but there is plenty of fat on the roster that could be cut (Urbik, C.Williams ect).

Can we get through the freaking draft before we criticize anything about this offseason? Especially considering the things we did and clearly attempted to do but guys took hometown discounts--Bulaga.

If they trade for Mathis. ...if they draft a TE first. Boom. Needs addressed Mike. Idiot.

This clown is flat out trolling Buffalo fans now. I unfollowed the guy bc he's worthless and doesn't tell me anything I can't learn from Graham or Carucci and serious reporters.

Edited by Big Blitz

I disagree with Rodak on the signing, and although we are all still awaiting the signing of a decent TE, another OG, and perhaps even an OT.

I think Harvin takes over the return game from Spiller, and would be better then Hogan in the slot on most plays. Used in the right offense Harvin could be another big time play maker for Buffalo.

I get a kick out of ESPN, and while Rodak slams the signing, right below his article there is an insider article stating Harvin has a pro bowl upside. :lol:

The cap really isn't much of an issue if the team wants to make a significant play for a guard and a tight end at significant money each. Not only is there existing room even after the Harvin deal but there is plenty of fat on the roster that could be cut (Urbik, C.Williams ect).

and for guard, you would have to cut some fat - we arent going into the year with 4 guards signed to starting contracts (Addition, RI, Urbik and Williams) plus richardson/kujo -- no matter what happens at guard the cap it is offset by the departing guy(s)

Edited by NoSaint

Ryan has been evaluating the Bills personnel from the perspective of a good coach who had to try to beat them. He has fresh eyes, not having fallen in love with or gotten used to the players he inherited.

So the Harvin signing makes sense from the perspective that Ryan doesn't think Goodwin is good for wins (see what I did there?), and that beyond Watkins and Woods we have no one who's a real threat. I like Hogan's desire and competitiveness, and he's improved a lot, but he probably has a ceiling far below what Harvin walks in the door with.

Ryan coached Harvin in NJ. Harvin isn't very bright and didn't have a training camp to learn the offense. That won't be a problem with the Bills this year. Ryan also evaluated Harvin as a person and apparently figured the bad times are behind him. Maybe he's matured.

Also Ryan is looking at the Jets with two really good CBs and he needs to be able to have a passing game to win those two key division games. I think the Bills go with 6 WRs -- Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Goodwin (maybe), Hogan, and Easely for STs.

Percy is Sammy Watkins insurance. Sammy can't be the only guy running these screens and sweeps. He's too good a down field threat for that. Percy will most likely be doing a lot of what he did with the Gators and Vikings and that is perfectly fine. A backfield consisting of McCoy and Harvin is going to be lethal. Wait until Tyrod comes in for some wildcat/triple option fun.

Let's hope so. It's no secret Sammy was way underutilized in the screen game last season. And I think he may have ran the ball on maybe 3 reverses all year, as Marrone and Hackett are as good of playcallers as Yogi and boo boo. I know Roman likes to do a lot of read option type stuff, but do you know if he likes to run those bubble screens and sweeps? I haven't watch enough 49er football to know. He's a smart guy and good coordinator, so I would think he design plays for these guys.

The remaining free agent guards are either great or awful. We can't afford great and why would we sign awful. Get a decent guard in the draft and udfa, cut Urbik and/or Chris Williams, and arrange a killer offer for Clay.