Debbie Downer and/or reality check?

if we go on the assumption that we will move forward with what we like to call a serviceable QB, the Bills biggest problem were with Guards and TE next. We have not improved at Guard very much and have taken a hit at TE. I love the new toys but we need open running lanes for those guys. What do you think we do at G and TE? Who is out there that could be an upgrade or at least get us back to Chandler level at TE?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea b.c Free Agency is almost over...

I get your sarcasm but out of the CBS top 100 free agent list, there 75 that are signed. And in the 25 left there are some concerns with half the players. So if we take your sarcasm away your statement is not too far off. I understand they are a lot of solid players behind them but I said improve for the OL

Jermaine Gresham is still an upgrade over Scott Chandler. Maybe they swing a trade for Vernon Davis. Perhaps they'll take the money they were going to give Clay and put it into a Guard like Evan Mathis or Jarhi Evans in a trade.

Either way - there are other options available and i'm sure they have a Plan B.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I get your sarcasm but out of the CBS top 100 free agent list, there 75 that are signed. And in the 25 left there are some concerns with half the players. So if we take your sarcasm away your statement is not too far off. I understand they are a lot of solid players behind them but I said improve for the OL

How many of those signed are Gs & TEs?

I am a little worried about G but I'm sure they have a plan. I am kinda hoping they go into the draft needing a TE - Williams, Walford and O'Leary all look very legit and one if not all of them should be available at #50.

I am a little worried about G but I'm sure they have a plan. I am kinda hoping they go into the draft needing a TE - Williams, Walford and O'Leary all look very legit and one if not all of them should be available at #50.

I feel the exact opposite. Benefit of the doubt that they have a plan should go to TE, even if that means they don't want one in their regular offense. Otherwise they wouldn't have dumped Chandler.

With Guard I think they just screwed the pooch spending on McCoy instead.

I feel the exact opposite. Benefit of the doubt that they have a plan should go to TE, even if that means they don't want one in their regular offense. Otherwise they wouldn't have dumped Chandler.

With Guard I think they just screwed the pooch spending on McCoy instead.

Are you saying trading for McCoy has prevented them from signing a G? They are in no way related.

if we go on the assumption that we will move forward with what we like to call a serviceable QB, the Bills biggest problem were with Guards and TE next. We have not improved at Guard very much and have taken a hit at TE. I love the new toys but we need open running lanes for those guys. What do you think we do at G and TE? Who is out there that could be an upgrade or at least get us back to Chandler level at TE?

We have improved our talent at guard tremendously simply by not retaining Erik !@#$ing Pears. Adding RI to the line, even if he's half the player he was prior to his hiatus, is a massive step above Pears.

We haven't taken a hit at TE by cutting Chandler. Chandler doesn't fit the new scheme and the cap space cleared by releasing him allowed the team to retain Easley and Wynn, two very important players in terms of depth and special teams.

InCognito was a move to improve the guard situation. But I agree they do need to make a move to further upgrade the O-line and get a tight end. Only good news is that the team seems to be aware of this. They have reportedly been in on a lot of the top linemen but just haven't connected. As we all know they have been and still are in on Clay. Good news is the team seems to be active and aware of the situation, also there are still good options out there on the market.

Should also be able to get a good guard in round two if needed.

Speaking strictly for me, I don't assume our front office is unaware of this need but the plans to fill it are looking, shall we say, incognito?

So I'm afraid Oooooooh! Shiny!!!!! may have distracted and detracted from filling this need.

i am going to optimistically trust that the front office is amassing talent at the skill positions knowing that the youngsters on the o-line and at te are progressing more than we know and also that they have lined up some under the radar free agents and have scouted extremely heavily in these areas for the upcoming draft. remember, there is a very fine line between optimism and alcoholism!

Yea b.c the Bills are only allowed to sign top guys...

Edited by Beef Jerky

Regarding the O-Line, Icognito was a move to improve it. Glenn and Woods are likely staying put. The coaching staff may feel good with some of the young player and Chris Williams to improve from last year.

Also, there will likely be cuts after June 1st and with that another opportunity to bring in other players.

You can't fill every hole , but there is still time if they wish to try.

Exactly how many Guards and TEs were on that list? Of the lineman ranked highly, how many were we NOT linked to. We refused to overpay for old veterans-that's how you wind up with a fire sale like the Saints. The season is actually quite a bit away you know. The draft still exists. if Clay falls through and we wind up with Gresham I'll be just as happy.

I vote Debbie Downer

It's a legitimate concern. As fans, we have no power to effect any changes, or to predict the future, or to know what they're thinking. Your anxiety is not misplaced.

It may not end up this way, but right now, I feel the same way I did last year when they traded for Sammy. It's cool and flashy, but it's not exactly what we really need. I would much rather see the Front Office hardcore courting top guards than schmoozing Percy Harvin.

I'm sure they are aware of it. We just need to see some results. It's still a huge, huge concern. And I just don't want the Whaley tenure to resemble the Tom Donahoe years where we kept getting name skill players and made big moves in the draft for the headlines but never improved the offensive line and never made it to the playoffs as a result.

Edited by LA Grant